It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged British Computer Hacker To Be Deported To U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here we go again.

Another U.K. citizen who apparently has Asperger's Syndrome ( Garry McKinnon anyone ) is to be deported to The U.S. He is suspected of hacking into F.B.I., The U.S. Central Bank and The U.S. Missile Defence Agency computer systems.

Seems like it is to easy to hack into anything you wish in The U.S. Hadn't they learnt their lesson after McKinnon ?

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 16-9-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

If any hacker can get into those places, he's got a real talent, and they probably want to give him a job. With the condition he works for them, and to ensure loyalty have the charge hanging over him. I can smell a deal.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Guess nothing running any software is impenetrable to some.
edit on 16-9-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I can see this going the same way as McKinnon.

Teresa May, the then Home Secretary blocked the extradition of McKinnon to The U.S.

Teresa May is now Prime Minister.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

If extradition goes through, And he has to appear in court. Then all the information he has hacked, along with the people's whos names are on the hacked files. Must be presented in Court.

It was my understanding there were bits of information, the U.S. Gov was trying to keep quiet.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Breaking and entering is a crime, you don't have to steal anything to get arrested.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

He is not subject to US law as he is not a US citizen.

I assume he has not visited the US therefore, they have no jurisdiction.

If they are going to do this stuff, then why not send women over to say, Saudi Arabia because the women are driving in cars which is illegal in that part of the world.

This is just over-reach as usual.

P

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: intrptr

If they are going to do this stuff, then why not send women over to say, Saudi Arabia because the women are driving in cars which is illegal in that part of the world.

This is just over-reach as usual.

P

Well yah, the US gubment holds one standard for itself and another for the rest of the world.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Do posters on ATS even hear themselves anymore?

This is a very serious breach in trust in "the cloud" and the governments (in)ability to keep up with the ever increasing standard of technology. It simply isn't funded to do so.

These hacks of the of our government and our political parties have far more sinister implications than you all seem to realize. There are any number of ways this could fly wildly out of control and go beyond the point of fixing.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

If extradition goes through, And he has to appear in court. Then all the information he has hacked, along with the people's whos names are on the hacked files. Must be presented in Court.

Why's that?

It was my understanding there were bits of information, the U.S. Gov was trying to keep quiet.

Which bits?.....and how did you come by your "understanding"?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I cannot see the Prime Minister allowing such an extradition when this individual could be such an extraordinary asset to British intelligence. At any rate I certainly hope she tells the USA's petitioning authorities to get stuffed.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

From what i thought i remembered, Gary did these hacks a long time ago with dial up internet which was very slow. I think they should leave him alone and learn from their mistakes. Remember the Non terrestrial officers

"What was the most exciting thing you saw?" I ask. "I found a list of officers' names," he claims, "under the heading 'Non-Terrestrial Officers'." "Non-Terrestrial Officers?" I say. "Yeah, I looked it up," says Gary, "and it's nowhere. It doesn't mean little green men. What I think it means is not earth-based. I found a list of 'fleet-to-fleet transfers', and a list of ship names. I looked them up. They weren't US navy ships. What I saw made me believe they have some kind of spaceship, off-planet." "The Americans have a secret spaceship?" I ask. "That's what this trickle of evidence has led me to believe."
www.theguardian.com...

Good Stuff

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Seeing as hacking is illegal in the UK.

Why are they not tried and sentenced here?

The crimes committed although its commitment on US institutions, its commited from uk soil by a uk citizen so it makes sense to try and sentence here?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Can the UK extradite a US hacker for violating a "D" notice article?.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

They have a valid charge. He accessed servers that are US property. The UK has jurisdiction, it's up to them if they want to send him to the US so we can proceed with a court case or not.
edit on 16-9-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Seeing as hacking is illegal in the UK.

Why are they not tried and sentenced here?

The crimes committed although its commitment on US institutions, its commited from uk soil by a uk citizen so it makes sense to try and sentence here?

Trial generally happens in the nation that alleges the crime. It's up to other nations if they want to extradite for the trial or not.

I wonder if it's possible for both the US and the UK to charge him.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Seems like it is to easy to hack into anything you wish in The U.S. Hadn't they learnt their lesson after McKinnon ?

www.bbc.co.uk...

From the US standpoint no.

From the standpoint shared by many on this site that it is ok to hack and that a person in one country who hacks a system in another country cant be charged with a crime in the country whose systems they hacked - no.
edit on 17-9-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Clever enough to hack but not clever enough to cover his tracks. He's a fool.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: crazyewok

Can the UK extradite a US hacker for violating a "D" notice article?.

They can.

But i dont know why the US cant try and sentence them themselves as its there own citizens in there own country.

Hacking is illegal in both countries.

Seems silly to extradite when we cam both try and sentence them ourselves.
edit on 17-9-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: alldaylong

www.bbc.co.uk...

From the US standpoint no.

From the standpoint shared by many on this site that it is ok to hack and that a person in one country who hacks a system in another country cant be charged with a crime in the country whose systems they hacked - no.

From my stand point hacking is illegal in the UK.

Therefore he should be tried and sentenced here.

He is a UK citizen and the crime happend on UK soil so try him here.

Why bother with the extradition?

It wastes time and may not even go through and allow him to walk free.

Let the UK do it, he will get a fair trail (something he wont get in the USA) and if found guilty a similar sentence.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join