It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many of You Knew 'Aleppo' Before Johnson's Interview?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'd just like to get a sense of this; Gary Johnson was vilified for not seeming to know the word 'Aleppo' in a recent interview on MSNBC - but when it was explained to him they were referring to the mess in Syria, he got on board immediately with a fairly cogent response.

I don't generally pay attention to the Middle East because after decades, it's gotten boring as well as terminally confusing. Of course I've heard of Syria and in general understand what's going on there, as best anyone can who doesn't have access to security briefings or unlimited time to study the matter.

I honestly don't think the word or place 'Aleppo' had registered with me before Johnson's quite pointed take down (in my opinion) -it's as if they wanted him to look as badly as possible or they could have just asked about Syria in general.

Or maybe it's just me and my bias from trying to keep track of that part of the world, and everyone else has heard of this particular city. I know there was repetitive video shown with the little boy being put in an ambulance, but I was looking at that, not the name of the city he was in...

Anyone care to chime in?

Video

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

I knew what it was. But I watch and read a lot of news... If he doesn't, I can understand why he wouldn't know. What I don't understand is why he isn't making a better effort to keep up with world issues...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I knew what it was. But from a political stand point, if you're running for the highest position in office, you should be up to date on places like this, in my opinion. I'm indifferent on the situation though, I don't even bat an eye to the guy.

I'm not turning this to a Trump post, but could you imagine if he said this and not Johnson lol. It'd get double the coverage this incident did.

link   
Off the top of my head I know Aleppo & Raqqa.

If you named more I might kick myself for not remembering.
But yeah I knew Aleppo.

link   
I had never heard it referred to that way. Honestly, I thought it was unfair.

Asking people obscure stuff then acting like they aren't about world affairs. It simply isn't possible for any one person to know everything about every subject, country, world leader, etc.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Aleppo has been in the news for years , ignorance of what and where Aleppo is is ignorance of the outside world.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have known about Aleppo for quite some time. I often watch Vice dispatches that are from all over the world. If you are going to be someone who comments on world issues it pays to be up to date. He should have known that it at least exist being so much US treasure is being used to continue the fight....

BTW Vice is a very good News source if you're looking for a new one.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Well, yes I've known about aleppo for some time now.. Maybe 2 years?

I payed maybe more attention than your average person being that I was told Syria was last on the list of countries before Iran.. That was in 2006 at FT Benning. So when the Chemical weapons went off I was like oh # here we go, so I wanted to see ALL the evidence, and HOPE that something would stop us from invading. Even the UN said the chemical weapons came in through Turkey with alqueda type guys, and had nothing to do with Assad. There was also the ISIS video of guys killing rabbits with chemical gases they were mixing up in a house that was storing a TON of these chemicals.

Anyway...

it's the town that has seen major fighting.. It's the biggest city in Syria..

Will Aleppo finally fall to the Syrian army? (BBC 2014)

On both sides of its divide, many now predict it is just a matter of time before Syria's second city falls.

That's BBC saying it's just a matter of time until aleppo FALLS into GOVERNMENT hands.. WTF... The city fell to rebel terrorists and the government finally is about to have order and they say oh no Syria is going back into the hands of.. Syria.. Really guys.. gawd I forgot how bad the propoganda was in the earler days of the Syrian "civil war.. "

You must understand Israel could be taken out by either Syria or Iran alone without the use of nukes.. Just Assads Chemical weapons or Iran's conventional rockets could easily knock out ALL of Israel.. So it's pretty obvious what's going on here. You guys remember Israel was just randomly bombing Syrian targets before this "civil war" started right?

edit on 14-9-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I would think that many of us on this forum would know as I tend to think we are all a bit more engaged in geo- and socio-politics.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Following the Syrian Civil War quite closely since it's outbreak, I knew about Aleppo.

I'm surprised Deir Azzor doesn't get more press coverage. But they can't exactly spin that into an Anti-Syrian hit piece like they can with Aleppo.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

He doesn't keep up with world issues because, he doesn't believe in engaged foriegn policy. I saw him interviewed on CNN and his solution to the problem in N. Korea is to withdraw troops from Japan and South Korea. He'd bring all the troops home from everywhere.

That might not be a bad idea, if you don't care what happens to South Korea or Japan. I don't give a crap about them and I certainly wouldn't support a Nuclear War in their defense. Or Taiwan for that matter. But withdrawing the troops just green lights N. Korea to invade so we're pretty much stuck unless we can strike a deal with China to cleanse N. Korea.

Anyway, that's why he doesn't engage foriegn policy issues.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Syria supported Hezbolla. I JOINED the army because of Beirut.
I knew about the major cities and was curious if we would fight.
I didn't know about the guilt resting with Iran,or what we did to Iran at the time.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I knew about Aleppo from the initial protest, when a bunch of kids were arrested, jailed and tortured for spray painting anti-government graffiti. That's what started all the violence and led us to where we are now..

Nothing like a merciless dictator, is there?

ETA: I guess I'm a news junky.
edit on 14/9/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Decent enough thread S.C.. and thanks for the two cents
I could drop off.
If China gets visibly involved in Syria's kettle of troubles:
wind your stopwatch. After Aleppo falls, hit the big button
on top. It won't be long, and it's what all the warmongers want.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abinkadoo
I knew what it was. But from a political stand point, if you're running for the highest position in office, you should be up to date on places like this, in my opinion. I'm indifferent on the situation though, I don't even bat an eye to the guy.

I'm not turning this to a Trump post, but could you imagine if he said this and not Johnson lol. It'd get double the coverage this incident did.

I wonder if Trump would even know the word now, much less a week ago...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm very familiar with Aleppo. I've been following the Syrian War since the mass protests started. I remember when that girl got shot in the neck by Syrian forces and it was on video. I knew then that it was going to become a civil war.
edit on 14-9-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Yes I have been aware of Aleppo since "Arab Spring" moved into the area.
I think it is fairly common knowledge and that is why Johnson was held up to ridicule for not knowing.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

edit on 14-9-2016 by ezramullins because: why bother

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I know of it, but honestly, if I was asked about it 'out of the blue,' I'd probably respond in a similar manner and need someone to jar my memory.

This happens a lot to me, especially with things that I hear about only a handful of times and don't deal with on a daily basis.

ETA: My question is this--aren't interviewees generally given a list of possible questions prior to an interview so that they can respond quickly and have answers at the ready? Was he not given such a list, and if so, would it be a far-fetched idea to think that it was a concerted effort to make a third-party candidate look stupid?
edit on 14-9-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I knew what Aleppo was and I was shocked to see that Johnson did not.

I wouldn't rest my sole argument against his campaign based on this one fumble but it was a pretty big fumble. That being said, there are plenty of other things I strongly dislike about his campaign.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join