It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Imposes 276% Tariff on US Drywall Imports

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The people that will be hurt the most, will be Western Canadians.

Not Americans, and not all of Canada.

CertainTeed jacked their prices, to match the new increased US supplier prices (increased due to the tariffs CertainTeed convinced the spineless CBSA to pass), the second this was passed. Many are specifically requesting non-CertainTeed products because they are so pissed about this, I certainly am. I doubt many US producers will see any decreases in sales.

CertainTeed on the other hand...well, I'm sure there is a stump they can do inappropriate sexual acts with...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I can assure you I'll never use certainteed!

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Great for American manufacturing! Less freight cost no import tariff and right next door!

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slickinfinity

I can assure you I'll never use certainteed!

I'm going with Hamilton mud as well as US drywall!

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You know?

You guys are right: We really need NAFTA, and you have all helped me to realize that there really should be no America, or Canada. No. There should just be North America.

Why, I can remember only 15 or so years ago when this seemed like quite the idea to struggle with.

But you're right.

This is why I come to ATS.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This sounds like the perfect time for Canadian entreprenuers to open up drywall manufacturing businesses to undermine the over-inflated price hikes from CertainTeed and their tariff game-playing strategies.

We mine the raw gypsum right here in Canada... so there's no bloody reason why there shouldn't be more in-house manufacturing competition, which would ultimately force the prices back down to something more reasonable.

CertainTeed Inc. can then take their falsely over-priced gypsum board and shove it where the sun don't shine.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Well, it sounds like the Canadian people just want quality and if that quality comes at a more affordable cost then leveling the field seems to work against the people and protecting the industry... the industry itself could turn into an importer and supplier knowing the business and having it already set up on that end anyway and simply cease mining or fetching the resources themselves and become a supply chain instead.

So who would lose the jobs... the miners? No as the gypsum and other materials mined can be and are used in other things.

Quality really counts when it comes to importation and exportation... many times I have purchased things from a Chinese supplier and have had a failure. After contacting them they would want to offer money back and a replacement very eager to do business... instead I have said no money back is fine and have told them exactly how to improve the design and what it's flaw was from my engineering background.

China is unwittingly strip mining its own natural resources for very very many materials of inferior quality because the processes are different and well many of these manufacturers do not know the better processes to be used to actually conserve their resources and cut pollution.

How many screw drivers should one have to buy in a lifetime? If it is made with quality just that one type needed... this is why Americans and likely others elsewhere have had some issues with imports because things used to last you didn't need to buy several of the exact same thing ever again... just once.

So what does the importation or exportation of things of inferior quality do for anyone in the world? Nothing it may be seen as a profit but at what expense? Strip mining out all the resources and pollution to where it becomes a place no one can live at all? What good will profit do then after a country or the world has utterly destroyed it's own habitat?

edit on 15-9-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join