It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am thinking about going to Patreon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I was hoping to have a conversation with you guys about going crowd source. I am very dissatisfied with life and the way things are at the time being as I have a job I don't like that takes away all of my time and leaves me little to no time to work my way into a more artistic career. I am not happy unless I am able to draw, every time I turn around I can't save any money to move forward with new tech to help me reach wider audiences, I keep getting stiffed for my time for very little reward. Due to this circumstance I am searching for a way out what does ats think about this move? I am willing to start releasing a whole new set of short comics soon just for this I am going to do about a page ever 2 weeks because my time is so limited. Insights would be very nice! Thanks in advance!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It's great to take risks and to bet on your own talent.

But there are many advantages to keeping a day job. And you lose them all. And you gain much less than you think you will.

Those of us who've left the rat race, and succeeded, wouldn't have it any other way.

But will you be one of us? Or will you be one of those who limps back into the rat race in a few years, having lost a step, and never gets it back again?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

I don't plan on quitting my 14 hour a shift night shift job but I do want to start making the steps from going from point a to point b.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

It helps a lot to have a network of supporting artists and unions around, look for your niche in town! You're not alone in this and not all of your collegues are actual competition, they tend to be really helpful at times.
Go to places, get known, start collaborations. I'd go to Patreon after your first art display, you may need that body of work to begin with.
Don't give up!

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

I don't plan on quitting my 14 hour a shift night shift job but I do want to start making the steps from going from point a to point b.

Okay. With that understood, stop talking about it, and just do it.

Begin as you mean to continue. But don't be afraid to adjust as you go.

Patreon might be a great solution. Or not. What you're trying to achieve is the important thing. Not the tools you use to get there.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Ok, just started building a page,

patreon.com...

Its a view only and free any kind of suggestions to make it better would be awesome, the art I want to drop soon is what I am looking for backers to back me with, everything else I do I want to make free and available to everyone.

top topics

join