It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/13/2016 Windows 10 celebration!!! Latest Update Removes Printer, Scanner and Screws Up Start Menu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I just wanted to share the joy I feel this morning at having to reinstall my printer and scanner after the latest Windows 10 update. There is little else to say about this. I'll spare people the venting and simply ask, not how to turn Windows update off permanently, but is there any safe way to update Windows 10?

The new update has removed a very useful function to the start menu, where it showed frequently used applications, plus a drop down menu for each showing recently opened files. This was very handy, but now it no longer exists, so one has to navigate over and over again to the appropriate folder containing each file. Grrrrrrr!

Comments, commiserations and help would be appreciated.

I did reinstall the printer, but Windows still couldn't find it. I'm going to see if a restart helps.
edit on 13-9-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

My boss wants to call the Attorney General's office to complain about Windows 10 forcing itself on all of our company computers.

We are in the middle of a 10 week Pharmacy Technician class and the entire curriculum is housed on "OneDrive", but with the Windows 10 Update it could screw up our delivery of the academics so we are holding off on the Update, but it keeps asking and forcing itself on us

**** Bill Gates!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Revert back to Windows 7. I have done that for almost 70 of my local clients. They are tired of the BS with windows 10. This is turning into a fiasco as it did with windows millennium and VISTA. The problem is that these "new" systems are so filled with bloatware and unused library routines, it's ridiculous. You can exploit windows 10 by actually using the unused library contents of partially used dll's. I guess that was the point of making 10 though, kind of an excuse for why all your personal data can get into the wrong hands.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, when I "restarted" to see if Windows could find the reinstalled printer, it didn't just restart, it launched into another "update" and when the computer was restarted after that update, the printer was there and the scanner was there, but, alas, the feature of the start menu that I liked so much was still gone, the drop down menus with recently opened files.

I'm of two minds about the situation. I think this round of updates was a big one and it is possible that I starting using the computer in between two updates, before it had had a chance to put all of its ducks back in a row.

It is annoying, though, to turn the monitor on in the wee hours and find out that you have to twiddle your thumbs because Windows is in the middle of an update that can't be interrupted.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

There is something about Microsoft and Apple too and probably every other computer maker or operating system maker. They all seem to think that people are in love with being "linked" to them, that we don't think of our computers as tools used to do jobs. They think that they are welcome in our hair.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
A little bit offtopic but still related why they want to force Win10 on everyone. It´s called Trusted Computing and Win10 is just the start. Well, they have planned this since 1998 just changed names over time. But they have decided to not trust YOU.

This is a video made by fellow germans, but in english. Enjoy:
vimeo.com...

edit on 13-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, when I "restarted" to see if Windows could find the reinstalled printer, it didn't just restart, it launched into another "update" and when the computer was restarted after that update, the printer was there and the scanner was there, but, alas, the feature of the start menu that I liked so much was still gone, the drop down menus with recently opened files.

I'm of two minds about the situation. I think this round of updates was a big one and it is possible that I starting using the computer in between two updates, before it had had a chance to put all of its ducks back in a row.

It is annoying, though, to turn the monitor on in the wee hours and find out that you have to twiddle your thumbs because Windows is in the middle of an update that can't be interrupted.

My wife had that the other night, updates for hours, 238 of them. Bloody thing was still doing it the next morning. Then they failed and reverted back. That was on Windows 7 pro. I bought her a nice little i5 laptop and you can only get drivers for Windows 8 and 10. Screw that! Went into the device manager, wrote down all the missing pci id's and then did a quick lookup up of pcidatabase.org and went about collecting all the drivers for win7 from different laptop manufacturers lol. Worked perfect. You can almost always find win7 drivers.

Did the same thing with a little acer aod725 running an amd c70, except I partitioned the disk 3 ways and multibooted into win7, xp and Ubuntu. No third party boot manager. I installed win7, then installed windows xp and repaired win7 startup, gives both win 7 and xp boot entries. Then I installed Ubuntu and repaired win7 startup and I had 3 boot entries. All work all stable. I need a good mini laptop for those annoying "security" issues, other people's lol.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/13.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm this close to being done with it.

The first big update I got after upgrading to windows 10 screwed the HDMI audio for my system. If I my TV goes into sleep mode and I turn the screen on when the computer wakes up from sleep mode there is no sound. I have to put it BACK into sleep mode, then wake it up again and then the sound works. So basically every time I want to use my computer/TV I have to turn the monitor on, wait for it to wake up, put it back to sleep, wait for it to enter sleep mode, then wake it up again.

The last update that occurred a couple weeks ago makes my computer randomly blue screen and if I restart the computer I have to unplug the logitech keyboard dongle before it starts to load the OS or the while circle will just spin forever until I reboot the system with the USB dongle unplugged.

I am quite frustrated.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

My boss wants to call the Attorney General's office to complain about Windows 10 forcing itself on all of our company computers.

We are in the middle of a 10 week Pharmacy Technician class and the entire curriculum is housed on "OneDrive", but with the Windows 10 Update it could screw up our delivery of the academics so we are holding off on the Update, but it keeps asking and forcing itself on us

**** Bill Gates!

technewsnow.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Suggestion: Hover mouse over blank space on "Start menu" and RIGHT CLICK- then choose "Settings". Underneath "Themes" there should be another listing called "Start". Click on that and you should see 2 sliders that correspond to the issues you have mentioned "Show Most Used Apps" and "Show Recently Added Apps". Perhaps these have reverted to the "Off" position for some reason.

I am apparently in the minority that actually likes Win 10, it may take some getting used to, but I prefer it to previous versions. Let us know if this helps! Good luck!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

The only thing that it is not showing that I want it to show is the recently opened files.

There is an item in the control panel called

Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on start or the taskbar.,

and it is turned on, but it's not functional and doesn't show the files in the start menu as it used to do. Files which are opened are visible on the taskbar, but that is not what is wrong at this point.

Another interesting thing that happened after this set of updates was that Windows informed me that my recently (a week ago) purchased edition of Norton Security was NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 10 AND HAD BEEN TURNED OFF!!

That's a tough pill to swallow. Windows was nice enough to substitute Windows Defender for the Norton. I haven't checked this with Norton yet, but it is disturbing, to say the least.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

You need to be rooming at my place. Actually, you don't, but it would be helpful to have you in a cupboard here for times like this.

Here's a sidebar question. I have another computer running XP. It is a 32 bit machine that will not run the version of Win 7 for which I have an install disc. Currently I have installed Internet Explorer 8 on it, but without the ability to render videos in HTML 5. Do you know if there is a plug-in or any other way of getting IE8 to render HTML 5.

On second thought, after looking around a little, forget about the HTML5 question. I came up with something called "Chrome Frame" for IE8. I'm going to try that out, although it is no longer "supported".

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Suggestion: Hover mouse over blank space on "Start menu" and RIGHT CLICK- then choose "Settings". Underneath "Themes" there should be another listing called "Start". Click on that and you should see 2 sliders that correspond to the issues you have mentioned "Show Most Used Apps" and "Show Recently Added Apps". Perhaps these have reverted to the "Off" position for some reason.

My computer has the Portuguese version of Windows 10, but I suppose that's not the reason why I see things differently.
"Settings" appears on the start menu when I click it, not when I right-click it.
There's no "Themes" section in the "Settings" screen, both "Themes" and "Start" appear in the "Personalization" section of the "Settings".

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

edit on 13-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

There are TWO different locations where SETTINGS can be applied/modified. One is called SETTINGS and the other CONTROL PANEL. Find out more information HERE
and HERE

edit on 9142016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

As far as I can determine, these options remain the same no matter what language version you are using. Hope this helps.
edit on 9142016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Thanks, I know that, I was only confused because you said to right click on the start menu and then on settings, but there's no settings option on the pop-up menu that appears when you right click on the start menu.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Seattlerat seems to be using ClassicShell which is a Windows 10 Start Menu replacement.

It makes the start menu like Windows 7

www.classicshell.net...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MinangATS

Seattlerat seems to be using ClassicShell which is a Windows 10 Start Menu replacement.

It makes the start menu like Windows 7

www.classicshell.net...

Actually, I am only using an unmodified stock version of Windows 10 with the latest Anniversary Update. I'm not sure why some users are not seeing the "Settings" option when right-clicking on Start Menu or Calender/Clock (not the Start Button, not the Notification Center). Microsoft took the hint that people were (for good reason) miffed that 8.1 Start Menu was awful and have made drastic improvements in the current release. I have used ClassicShell and suggest giving it a try just to see if you prefer it, but I am satisfied using Win10 as-is. I have experienced a few MINOR issues with notifications and auto-play, but these have been ironed out and were most likely the result of using CCLEANER's registry repair.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 15-9-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm using Win 10 home premium and when I right click on the "Ask me anything" space, I do see "settings". Unfortunately, although I have turned "on" the "show recently opened items in jump lists", they do not show up.

This is only since the "anniversary update" was installed. Maybe their "anniversary hangover update" will correct the problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join