It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothesis for a New Understanding of Consciousness (Part 2)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Please allow me to offer my profound apologies to all posters who replied to the Part One thread. Three years have passed since I stated I would be presenting the second part of my hypothesis. The reasons for this unacceptable length of delay are many, but the prime reason was so that I could marshal my thoughts into a coherent order and provide lucid and clear illustrations and descriptions of what are (or may seem to be) counter-intuitive suppositions on a subject that does not give easy access to its understanding. What I humbly offer here has been re-written many times, and I am still not happy with it. I apologise for the length of the post.

Consciousness is thought of and defined in a number of ways, but in the last analysis, there is only one definition and description that can be right, and in order to arrive at what might be the right definition and description, one has to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Once I have presented the hypothesis in full, many will not wish to reconcile the view of consciousness I provide. Others (particularly those with a modicum of knowledge on quantum theory) will readily perceive the view I present with advantage, as it brings together a mechanism for consciousness generation, quale experience, and their emergence from the collapse of quantum wave forms. Let’s begin.

Unobserved, a particle is neither a particle nor a wave form, but a superposition energy density in the quantum environment. It is said to be in superposition in respect that it is a conglomerate of all the states it possesses in the same instant. Once it is observed (I.e., measured), the energy density decouples (decoheres) from its superposition of all states it can be, into the one state on which it is being measured, either as a particle (position) or as waveform (speed). The energy density cannot have both its position and speed measured at the same time, because nature does not allow it, and the probable reason why will become apparent later.

This is the fundamental crux of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, and it has led to the claim that our observance creates our reality. This is false, we do not create our reality with either our observing or with our consciousness, neither of them create the reality out there. External reality exists in spite of our existence, it did so long before we arrived, and will do so long after we are gone. External reality, in all its expressions and forms, is predicated on its own existential presence, and does not require a conscious observer for its existence.

What it does require for its existence is force carrier particles and energy waves moving from energy density to energy density decoupling them on impact from their state of superposition by exciting them out of their ground state (lowest energy phase) into a higher energy state, causing them to vibrate at a higher frequency and maybe cause the ejection of an electron or to emit a photon to rid itself of the impinging excess energy. All energy densities seek to return immediately to their ground state when they are excited above it.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I do not have the mathematical skill to describe this process mathematically, other higher calibre persons have done this already. However, if an energy density is vibrating at its lowest energy phase (its ground state) at a value of 0.5, and is hit by an energy wave with a value of 1, then the energy density decoheres from its superposition with an energy value of 1.5, but because it immediately wants to return to its lowest energy phase, it needs to eject energy at the value of 1, which it does so by emitting photons. This is the conservation of energy.

In this way, through this quantum mechanism, energy moves about the universe through all eigenvectors and all frequencies, and because of this, the universe does not fade out of existence (which is also why a conscious observer is not required for it to exist). Impinging energy waves flowing all around the universe is apropos to our act of measuring quanta. Dark energy is probably vibrating at higher energies and higher frequencies, which is why we cannot interact with it to detect it?
This gives support to the premise of a multi-verse, not of multiple dimensions, but multiple frequencies, and no matter where a conscious entity may exist on the spectrum of frequencies, they will always exist in a three dimensional environment, with appropriate perceiving mechanisms for the level of frequencies in which it resides. The following analogy will illustrate what I am saying here.

Suppose the universe (of which there is only one) was a 12” ruler. Every possible frequency is between (from low to high) 1 to 12. We abide on a section of the ruler covering only say the 1st inch, there are eleven more inches of frequencies (each ascending inch consisting of higher frequencies than the inch before). Suppose there are conscious entities abiding on every inch of the ruler, but their inch (their universe) is a much higher frequency than ours. It does not matter the spectrum and rate of frequency each inch vibrates at, each inch will present to the entity abiding in it as a three dimensional environment, because three dimensions is the optimal eigenvector for existence. If it is possible, to travel between each frequency universe, one would have to up rate or down rate one’s frequency value. One further note: each inch will be a more rarefied environment than the inch before.

What about time? Time is nothing more than a perception of the duration of motions and non-motions…or to put it more succinctly, the perception of the duration of changes. Time has no existential reality of its own, only duration exists. No matter where on the ruler a conscious entity abides, its perceiving mechanisms would be appropriate to the spectrum and rate of frequencies of its environment. Our perception of the length of a second on our inch of the ruler, is equal to the entities perception of the length of a second on their inch of the ruler. It is all relative. Regardless of where on the ruler an entity abides, the frame of reference for all entities is the present moment. The past is drawn from memory, and the future can only be anticipated with relative degrees of accuracy based on past knowledge and past and present observations. Where does consciousness emerge in all of this?

It is often stated that we are conscious entities experiencing life. It is an axiom that pretty much states the obvious. Yes, we are entities, yes we are conscious, and yes, we are experiencing life

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
(which is another way of saying we are experiencing existence). However, we are not consciousness made entity, we are each an entity imbued with consciousness. That is to say, we are imbued into a condition of a conscious state, and remain so every second from birth to death. Even in sleep we remain ‘internally’ conscious, even though the higher mental faculties and motor circuits are electro-chemically dampened so that the body can do its repairs…we dream. We remain internally conscious during sleep due to our brain processing what is called proprioceptive data signals from within and around the body, it is something to bear in mind.

When we are sleeping, we are analogous to being an energy density at lowest energy phase, and only awaken when some form of external energy wave impinges upon our external sensing organs, such as an alarm clock (waves of air pressure impinging upon our ear drums). We are raised out of lowest energy phase and excited into the higher energy state of wakeful consciousness.

At birth we are a blank canvas in terms of being an individual entity. The entity is there, but the passage of years of growth towards adulthood and maturation have not yet written their experiences upon our memory. The entity itself has not yet emerged clothed in the person-hood of ‘I’ we each individually become, with our own unique character and personality traits. Yet, we are conscious, and were so to some limited degree even while we were growing in-utero. No infant, whether in-utero or immediately born consciously creates the womb or the reality around it, it is both conceived and born into reality already made, and from which it receives all the radiating energies which stimulates its young senses. It is already experiencing existence with only a very limited reciprocal response mechanism…it cries.

The infant opens its eyes and photons immediately fall upon its retinas, causing them to fire and send signals along the optic nerves towards the brain, Simultaneously, other external radiations bathe its small body, with sounds and thermal gradients and pressure upon its soft skin, all of which stimulate the infant’s body to react and to send signals of stimuli to the brain, and the brain processes all these signals in some way and presents a diffuse experience of its early life which is captured and assimilated into memory, much of which will become hard to recall later in life.

Memory plays such an important and vital part of what and who we are. An infant’s brain is smooth, unlike an adult’s which is crevassed, and the reason why the brain becomes crevassed as we age is because of how memory is laid down. New experiences (and only new and original experiences) are (I believe) laid down on the utmost outer layer of the cortex, on each modular piece of the brain as a new layer of neural connections, and as more new layers are added as we grow to adulthood, the brain enfolds, layering earlier memories, older neural connections, down deeper as if it were laying down layers of sedimentary rock.

All these deeper layers of neural connections remain active and connected to the upper layers of the cortex globally, but it is in the upper layers which is where wakeful consciousness emerges, as the upper layers correlate to the consciousness of the present moment, but before the consciousness of the present moment emerges, the stimuli of the present moment has to energise the upper layers of

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
the cortex and cause new neural connections (globally). If attention is held for a certain duration, then the experience becomes fixed as a new connecting neuron.
All around the brain, in other modules, other neurons will have been made, as the whole new experience will consist of sight and sound signals, thermal gradient signals, and pressure signals and proprioceptive signals, and so on. Each new neuron will act as a pixel in the whole set of pixels that make up the new experience, and will be connected in some way that allows for messaging between them. The recall of a memory, if we could see it as light, would display as a growing pin-prick constellation of lights switching on all around the brain…frequency and wavelength being the unique identifiers.

Not only will frequency and wavelength of each signal be a unique identifier for the experience, but it will also set the field of the conscious state, or rather a layer of it. Consciousness is not one field, it is a many layered pixelated field, perceived through feedback referencing as the ‘I’ of person-hood’, comprised of many frequencies and wavelengths set by the frequency and wavelength of the stimuli. We are recording machines, recording wavelengths and frequencies of external radiations and internal proprioceptive data signals. The brain processes all these frequencies and wavelengths of stimuli and presents them as a quale experience. All stimuli carry information about the environment and exchange this information at the point when the sense organs are stimulated by them. It is a cross correspondence of energy interaction. The signal that is fired to the brain carries a faithful reproduction of the information the stimuli passed on like a baton in a relay race. The brain does not create consciousness, it is imbued with it as a condition by the presence of the energy of the stimuli. All this is occurring globally around and within the brain many times a second, switching on and off, emerging and fading constantly very rapidly.

The reason why Heisenberg’s Uncertainty is true is because stimuli pass on quantum information at the point of stimulation of the sense organs. We cannot know both position and momentum of quanta at the same time because the choice is already naturally made and defaulted at the point of stimulation. At the point of stimulation, when energy exchange takes place, the wave functions of the quanta of the stimuli collapse and decohere, and only a small subset of information of all the states the quanta possesses is passed on.

Of course, all this is hypothetical, but it does contain interesting points and lots of food for thought, even as I have presented it rather clumsily. Once again, apologies for the length, both of the wait and of the post.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Experience and hormone levels, i tried to get it lengthier

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire From my experience reality seems to be more fluid than you give it a chance. If things were pre-estimated and set solid, it would not be so easy for me to reshape it on different occasions. If you ask me, everybody by himself carries his own center of solidifying potential and that behind your back is one black blank gap, until you turn around.

top topics

join