It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The diaper ad on top is starting to drive me crazy!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
When I come to ATS, I'm hit with a massive ad at the top of the front page for diapers along with an invitation for some sort of potty training partnership program, and it's starting to get to me.

I have nothing against babies or people who are in the process of raising one. I love kids. Don't have any of my own (I can barely manage to take care of myself).

But it makes me wonder, why ATS? Are we the type to fall into that demographic such that a massive ad that dominates the top of the front page is a worthwhile investment?

Are those diapers selling like hotcakes here at ATS?

Often I'll try to gain access to my control bar, and I accidentally trip up the ad, and then in a panic before I'm bombarded with everything potty training, I try to close it and in the process sometimes I'm transported ever deeper into.. the diaper zone.

I'm sure that potty training is a triumphant moment for parents and child alike and you know, kudos and high fives all around - way to GO!

But it's starting to wear on my nerves to be honest, and if anything it only serves as an ever present reminder not to have children, and that if I ever do, to adopt them after they've gotten through that messy stage. At what age is that btw? I don't remember.

I realize that ads just go with the territory, but I'm curious if that's only hitting the membership or if when you're not logged in as a member, you aren't "graced" with the diaper-zone?

I hope is passes soon.. how much in new sales revenue can they actually be pulling in anyway?

I sure hope it's not some sort of subtle hint about the membership.. I'm always seeing the allegorical signs and synchronicities in things, but I'd rather think that this isn't one of them.. and if so, that it's directed primarily at the mass of Trump supporters here.. JK!

When will it end, this campaign?

Does anyone else find it annoying?

I'm trying to roll with it as best I can - oh no, I have to go to the washroom now. Hope I make it!

edit on 10-9-2016 by AnkhMorpork because: typo

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Ad's are generally based on you, not the site. Im guessing it's google ad sense or something similar? Yeah, that's tracking you. It knows you have a child so its showing you relevant information. That's how ad's work, Tailored to each viewer.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork
I don't get that add. Have got an Holden car add at the moment, Sometimes when I get a crappie add i go to eBay and search Brother printer cartridges then I get the HP adds for ages after. Way better than crap holders.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I get car ads (probably because I recently bought one), and marketing ads (because I am studying marketing).

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Do you have a significant other? Does she use your device. If so ask her of her plans and or situation.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I don't get any ads on ATS anymore.

Not sure at one point, after what contribution (posts, etc.) this goes into effect. But stick around a bit and ATS will stop showing you ads completely.

edit on 9-10-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I know about the Google ads appearing on thing such as facebook. But I'm getting an Ebaumsworld ad atm, and I'm on mobile. I haven't been on that site in years lol. And I was recently getting the movie Clown by Eli Roth ad, mind you, it wass creepy as all hell, and I hate clowns. It'd only show half his face when I opened the control panel, which was even worse haha. So I feel like that ad tracking isn't the case here unfortunately lol.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Sure are some fun threads on this Friday Night!!

Okay, my theory is it'd have some to do with The Hillary's "Diapergate Scandal"!
edit on 10-9-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have not yet seen this ad. I haven't seen any large ad on ATS om about a week and it is whitelisted in my ABP.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Do you have a significant other? Does she use your device. If so ask her of her plans and or situation.

This^^

Ads are almost always tailored to your search history and what kind of sites you visit. So, if you aren't visiting/searching, someone is.

Check your condom stash, make sure there are no holes poked in them. Also, make sure she is up to date on the birth control.

I've had more than a couple friends that have "somehow gotten her pregnant".

Be careful!!

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

Or If she has been on antibiotics lately and or drinking. While I hope none of my suggestions should have any merit, I only say these things in case knowledge is of the essence.

Should this be irritating, from your comment of taking care of your self ... Irritation can be relieving.

Should this be something of interest, I have faith in humanity and that includes you, congratulations.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Oh... So thats why I keep getting ads about penis enlargement..

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Abinkadoo

Wish I could relate. Actually, no I don't! I use AdBlock everywhere I go on the internet. ATS being the exception. It's against the T&C here, and while that usually doesn't mean much to me, I disabled it after I saw a thread or two from SkepticOverlord. As far as other places go, only a few ads here and there sneak by on my internet travels. One of the main reasons I quit watching broadcast television was because of commercials. I never listen to the radio because of ads. I close my eyes on the highway when a billboard approaches, so that I am not advertised to! Okay, that last part is obviously not true.

You see, I don't have a car and my license expired.

edit on 9-10-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: grammar

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
If you're going to lose your sh!t over it maybe you need some?

baby go

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Weird because I have no interest in babies, and I haven't searched anything diaper.

What does it MEAN?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork
Weird because I have no interest in babies, and I haven't searched anything diaper.

What does it MEAN?

You accidentally clicked on it, now you're doomed.

They do go away after a while. I haven't noticed any ads lately but I used to have very pretty ones for 'opal auctions' - beautiful! I like rock hounding.

They were trying to sell me the same stunningly gorgeous $25,000 opal for quite some time. I miss it now that the ads are gone. The longer you linger on a certain picture, the more likely it is to come up. So play with their heads.

Go look at ads for something you WANT to look at, and the Adsense Mr. Know-It-All algorhythm will change from diapers. Maybe a Maserati or something?

Here: www.opalauctions.com... Go over to the site and you'll be in drool territory (rocks) instead of drool territory (babies).
edit on 10-9-2016 by SentientCentenarian because: forgetful..

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Eh I wasn't thrilled about a prepubescent bra add that was showing up for a very long time... I used to work out and being middle aged I suppose they were trying to tell me either work out again or get a training bra.

No need to embrace gravity when it embraces you... it's like that aunt growing up that needs a hug every time you see her and you protest just wanting to fly free.

edit on 10-9-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Thank you. Clicked on it. I prefer nice rocks to the Huggies Pullup Potty Training Partnership!

I hope it works.

I don't need to constant reminder that even as a man of 49, I need to get cracking on the baby front.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Don't tell anyone but I think they read our posts and our minds, too.

So don't ever mention that 'potty' thing again...

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

if one got an actual cookie then perhaps the trade off would be something worth while... but that's short sighted as ATS is the cookie or none of us would be here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join