It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I drink and smoke, and consider myself a Christian.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Why shouldn't I?

I have accepted Jesus in my heart as my Savior, years ago. I try to do the right thing and be honest with everyone.

I like smoking cigarettes, and other stuff, and like whiskey and beer.

Why have I always been taught these things are wrong?

I realize yeah, maybe they could lead me down the path to worse things, but in moderation, I feel like I'm all good.

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Signals

Didn't Christ say that it's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you but what comes out?

My opinion on these things is that the true danger from them is idolatry in the sense that you risk them becoming more important to you than God. God should be the most important thing in your heart such that you could give up everything else for Him if called. That was the challenge the young man failed.

If you were called, could you, would you drop both smokes and drink for Him? If so, then you are fine. If you could not stand the thought of losing your morning smoke or your 5pm beer to follow Christ, then you may be in trouble.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Didn't Jesus actually drink wine and smoke cigars?---I read that somewhere.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Jesus requires a clean temple. Shame on you, tsk, tsk!!

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't know, I mean, if Heaven doesn't allow it then I will gladly quit.

Seems like Heaven would allow these pleasures though.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The Bible does not criticise drinking. It criticises getting drunk- I think this is because getting drunk affects the way we treat other people. I have just finshed a small glass of port which will help me sleep later.
Obviously the Bible has nothing to say about smoking. (I have never smoked, but this was a non-religious decision)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Of the two, nicotine is the far harsher mistress.

Alcohol? Meh, unless you are extremely lucky a beer or shot every so often, even some overindulgence here or there, isn't going to be a biggie.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't know, I mean, if Heaven doesn't allow it then I will gladly quit.

Seems like Heaven would allow these pleasures though.

I doubt you care about that in Heaven. Seems to me that whatever we do in Heaven is going to be better than having to get drunk.

But I don't exactly subscribe to the Islamic Paradise idea where you can get drunk all day with no ill effect, either.

No, I was just referring to the idea of if you were told, "You can either worship God or continue to smoke and drink ..." While in this life, what would you do? It's the same conundrum Jesus gave to the wealthy young man, "Give up all your wealth and follow me to be perfect. Or keep it and you are not."

The young man could not give up his wealth to follow Jesus. Could you give up your smokes and drinks if that was what you were called to do?

No one has called you to do that, but you should keep it in mind.
edit on 9-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Didn't Jesus actually drink wine and smoke cigars?---I read that somewhere.

Turned the water into wine, he gets an invite to my party....

And if all that stuff is legal(mostly), why would it be bad (immoral). Bad for health if abused (gluttony), but in moderation.....although the chemicals put in cigarettes are bad, but organic tobacco fine.

Funny how the smokable that is illegal is the least bad for ones health, and best for the soul 🤔

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

edit on 9-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Hey you know what, Noah drank, is said to have invented or discovered alcohol and it is not forbidden in Christianity and neither is smoking although I don't like to drink unless I am with a girl, for obvious reasons, I am no saint.

I have great prescriptions, I don't need alcohol and I have a fondness for Mary that goes beyond the Virgin or Magdalene and is pert of my religion. I am going to go "worship" right now!!! Life is good!!!

But I absolutely believe that I am in communication with the Spirit of God, I also believe that I am in touch with the Word of God and I don't mean the Bible, I can't call myself a Christian as I only believe that Jesus Christ is a model for how we should be as human beings and not the actual Word of God or God although I do believe in a sort of Holy Trinity of Father, Mother and Son it is not what Christians believe and I believe that the Holy Spirit is feminine in nature and a Goddess more powerful than God.
edit on 9-9-2016 by LucianusXVII because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2016 by LucianusXVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I'm an atheist and I do all that too......and I enjoy wild unprotected sex with women...so?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

Do what thou wilt, huh?

Maybe I'm naive, but I thought Atheists could just do whatever, guilt free.

That's not really what I'm talking about here.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

edit on 9-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Why did you erase your first post? Just say it.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

He always does that, leaves a mark... Mysterious persona....

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yes I read that somewhere too.
I also read that he helped fortify the ruderalis strain and worked on the genetics to induce flowering under a 12/12 cycle.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
How do you smoke in moderation?
Not cigarettes obviously. cigars perhaps.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
Why shouldn't I?

I have accepted Jesus in my heart as my Savior, years ago. I try to do the right thing and be honest with everyone.

I like smoking cigarettes, and other stuff, and like whiskey and beer.

Why have I always been taught these things are wrong?

I realize yeah, maybe they could lead me down the path to worse things, but in moderation, I feel like I'm all good.

Thoughts?

Yeah your decision on tobacco but alcohol
Read the stories from the Old Testament about alcohol and the damage it has done
If you drink and don't get drunk, ever, that's fine
But watch yourself

Then again, the bible is very clear, don't do anything that might offend an immature christian, even at the beginning of the church, women were asked to wear head covering to not offend the new messianic christians or talk in church
Don't offend others

And, sounds like you are justifying your actions and choice, I find that's when the spirit is Warning me, I justify myself

Only you can know, listen to that small quiet voice in your head, what's it saying

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

It depends on how you define "Christian". I know A LOT of "Christians". Saying you believe, going to church, being able to spout a bible verse or 2 does not make you a "Christian"

Look at some of the "Christians" on this site, hell in this thread, look at their post history. We're ALL made in his image right? Then ask yourself why so many of them look down on other people, like they're better than them. If they really feel that way, then I have to ask why the charade?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join