It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.3 in North Korea Probably another nuclear test.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

Looks like it's official :

www.bbc.co.uk...

World leaders have reacted with anger after North Korea carried out its fifth and reportedly biggest nuclear test. The South accused the North's leader Kim Jong-un of "maniacal recklessness". China "firmly opposed" the test, Japan "protested adamantly" and the US warned of "serious consequences". Such tests are banned by the UN, but this is the second nuclear test this year, and Kim Jong-un's rhetoric has become increasingly aggressive.

The isolated communist nation has been hit by five sets of UN sanctions since its first test in 2006. Talks involving world and regional powers have failed to rein in the North's nuclear programme. In its statement announcing the underground test, North Korea expressed anger at the "racket of threat and sanctions... kicked up by the US-led hostile forces" to deny a "sovereign state's exercise of the right to self-defence". The test came on the country's National Day, which celebrates the founding of the current regime and which is often used as a show of military strength.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Sanctions...more sanctions...and more sanctions...

F*** sanctions, bomb them to oblivion and re-unite Korea. If the Chinese are so bothered about US missiles in SK, then send out an olive branch, join the UN in eradicating the DPRK and uniting Korea and be a partner not a threat.

The UN would have no problems if China showed no aggression and the NK threat was gone. I would like to see that to see how the Americans and Allies would react if China helped eliminate DPRK and united Korea under the Souths regime, they may still disagree over the south china sea but I think it would show if the US were using SK to prove a point to China or if they were really concerned with the norks...

I suspect it is US aggression towards China and DPRK is a handy problem but I would like to be proved wrong.
edit on 9 9 2016 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

North Korea is a threat? To whom?

Have they invaded anyone? Have they bombed anyone? Have they killed innocent people of other country? So, beside the mainstream propaganda against NK, what exactly makes you think they are a threat?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

So I'd venture to say, it is being classified as an explosion which registered equivalent to a 5.3 quake on the system.

Radiation was detected? I am reading they are "monitoring" but haven't seen any results of that. The BBC has Korea issuing a statement about it saying that there was no leak. Thats the problem wth confirming wether or not it was actually nuclear testing. The same problem occurred last January. No direct forensics of radioactivity.

Previous test, Reuters

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

They can tell by the wave form that it was an explosion rather than a quake.

That still doesn't tell us if nuclear or conventional, though.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There was the Korean War. And in true fashion, Russia, China and the US have hung around since the beginning. Let's not leave Japan out.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

To anyone that their missiles can reach.

Yes, they invaded S. Korea in 1950.

Yes, they have bombed S. Korea.

Yes, during the active part of the Korean War.

North and South Korea are still at war. It never technically ended with a peace treaty, but instead has been under a truce since 1953.

They have publicly made statements over and over about completely destroying S. Korea and to other countries.

Does that mean they need to be bombed?

Depends: do we (the world) really want them to have the ability to arm their long range missiles with nuclear warheads, given their past irrational behavior?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

North Korea announced today that it was indeed a nuclear detonation by them.

For a 5.3 quake, is around 15 kilotons.

Kind of hard to get 15,000 tons of conventional explosives to detonate all at once. It's actually easier to get a much smaller amount of nuclear material to fission instead.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

North Korea announced today that it was indeed a nuclear detonation by them.

For a 5.3 quake, is around 15 kilotons.

Kind of hard to get 15,000 tons of conventional explosives to detonate all at once. It's actually easier to get a much smaller amount of nuclear material to fission instead.

Radiation? Proof is in the pudding.

As far as NK "announcing" I thought every thing they say is lies and propaganda?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If I was conspiracy-minded, I would say that Iran is using North Korea to test their nuclear warhead weapons.

If I was conspiracy-minded.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
If I was conspiracy-minded, I would say that Iran is using North Korea to test their nuclear warhead weapons.

Quite possible. We'll know by the NK's leader reaction when he is cut off from the finished product. A major tantrum will like be thrown.

Future headline - "NK joins US alliance after Iran nuclear deal goes bad"

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: Forensick

North Korea is a threat? To whom?

Have they invaded anyone? Have they bombed anyone? Have they killed innocent people of other country? So, beside the mainstream propaganda against NK, what exactly makes you think they are a threat?

Uhm the nuclear bomb testing.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The radiation can be contained. Read through the article you linked, they talk about that.

N. Korea would want to contain it as much as possible, as analyzing the radiation would give a lot more intelligence to those who are looking than just seismic data.

And allowing large amounts of radiation to leak out and drift into say S. Korea or China would be a very bad thing for N. Korea. It could be seen as an act of war, etc, etc, and used as an excuse to invade them.

Let's face it: my country (the US) has invaded and bombed other countries based on a lot less, right?

And again: conventional munitions to make that kind of magnitude quake is very problematic. The MOAB is 18,000 pounds, or 9 tons, or 0.009 kilotons. You'd have to get about 4,000 of those bombs to go off at once to get the same yield.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The radiation can be contained. Read through the article you linked, they talk about that.

Possibly contained. Presumptive only because they didn't detect it. Still not proof positive.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

What with the USA war bonner with Iran?

I mean really? NK detonates nukes so blame Iran?

As screwed up as using 9/11 to invade iraq.

Just say it, you want there oil.

edit on 9-9-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My God!
no one has done this many tests before!!!
next they will do tests in some one elses country!
and No one at all has done that before....

god forbid that they should actually test a bomb on some ones city.
no one would Ever do that. it would be totaly Evil...

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Guarantee 100% they aren't going to do anything in the next 20 years. They aren't a threat. Propaganda is the real threat l.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Uhm.....not sure where you've been, but you might want to take a look at this:

List Of Nuclear Weapons Test By Country

The US had done 1,032 tests, Russia 727, France 217, Great Britain 88, China 47.......

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

Guarantee 100% they aren't going to do anything in the next 20 years. They aren't a threat. Propaganda is the real threat l.

You can throw a terd in a box and stamp guarantee on it, all you have is a guaranteed piece of sh!t.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

What with the USA war bonner with Iran?

I mean really? NK detonates nukes so blame Iran?

As screwed up as using 9/11 to invade iraq.

Just say it, you want there oil.

0_o

That's much to assume on speculation that Iran is testing it's nuclear weapons in Korea.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join