It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words within words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
OK, another stupid thread....

I was reading through another thread a moment ago where someone posted the word "turducken". When I see that word, I can't help be see "turd ucken". 2 words.

Then I realized that I do this quite a bit. Like, therapist pops out to me as "the rapist". Not a very therapeutic person to spend time with, obviously. I think I do this because of how much I pay attention to prefixes and word etymology. So I focus on word parts quite a bit, and have to focus more to see a word as its whole, instead of its parts.

Or maybe im just a moron. Or just more off.

Anyway, im curious to throw this out there to see if others share this habit.

Side habit: i like to mix up the first letters in phrases when talking to people. I've mentioned this before. Like "figbatturryfexan".

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

An aspect of Frank Zappa had dreams, hopes, and aspirations to become a dental-floss tycoon.
But all that became, was a mental-gloss flycoon.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Silly but serious question. Did you move around when going to grade schools?

I moved around ALL the time. So my grade school years are split though many states so many different systems. Because of this I "missed" certain things. I never learned how to write in cursive. I taught myself...but it shows. I also kinda missed the whole hooked on phonics thingy.

I ask because I think I see things different. It sucks when trying to spell. BUT when looking at words I can often see what others miss. I don't see the "word" either. I see the words it was made from because this is how I have taught myself through the years. I am now college educated and hopefully the early pitfalls don't show as short-comings but rather a different way of seeing things.

Cool thread!

edit on 9/7/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I'll have to delete it but here..😆

And don't get me started on the word Cross Stitching. Being hard of hearing does not help reinforce what it sounds like.
S's are hard for me, so it just sounds like Cr*tch Itching. It is now hard wired to read as so.🤗
edit on 7-9-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It's not just you. I do it too sometimes and then I have to re read what I saw. Also, I have weird glitches where something like Hunan beef turns into Human beef.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

nah, i was well rooted here.

and i am a solid speller. i write like a serial killer doctor, but otherwise i was middling academically.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Nah, I don't really do that, but I do have some kind of mental block with the words chicken cacciatore. Every time I say it, it comes out "kitchen chacciatore". I have to really pause and make an effort to say it right.

join