It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Cabina (The Telephone Booth) Aired in the 80's Were you Affected?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The short film La Cabina was a brilliant piece of cinema that seems to have impacted many who saw it in a very profound manner. If you read the reviews, you'll find that many watched the short by chance on one of the multiple airings and never forgot that experience.

Here's a few links to reviews on this brilliant piece of psychological horror:

www.imdb.com...

www.imdb.com...

One of the reviewers even attributed this film to the loss of his childhood.

So, ATS, were you one of those affected by this short? What other films do you recall from your childhood that have stuck with you all these years? And if you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend you do so. A version is currently available on Youtube.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Never seen it before, but it's on Youtube to watch, I'm watching it now

I skipped through it as 30 mins isn't what I'd call a short, I can understand why you'd be freaked out at a young age though

It reminds me of this UK short which freaked me out when I was young

Part 1

Part 2

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I tried finding this film on IMDB, but could not. Sure, there was the forum thread about it but I could not get a review for the movie itself.

I'd be interested in seeing it.

Honestly, the way you're bringing it up, it almost sounds like the storyline from Master's of Horror "Cigarette Burns"

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Never seen it before, but it's on Youtube to watch, I'm watching it now

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely watch the one you recommended when I get a little time to myself.

Sorry, 30 mins is quite a bit of time to spare if you're not prepared.

I'd say the brilliance lies in a few different aspects--
-the ability of the main actor to gain the sympathy of the viewer, despite only having a couple of lines in the whole film--great acting!
-the mysterious "phone company" who is behind the senseless act? (This film came out at the tail end of Franco's reign, very much a political statement.)
-the crowd's lack of concern/voyerism
-the increasing terror of the man in the booth and the viewer's own rising claustrophobia.
-the scene with the clowns- the only ones who show any real sympathy- is brilliant.
-the absurdity of it all, and the man's acknowledgement of his absurd yet terrifyingly real predicament through pantomine.
Also interesting is the police reacion--more concerned with keeping the respect of the crowd than with actually helping the man.

I'd suggest you watch when you have time, even though it's obviously dated, it does get better and better!
edit on 6-9-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: antigua

I tried finding this film on IMDB, but could not. Sure, there was the forum thread about it but I could not get a review for the movie itself.

I'd be interested in seeing it.

Honestly, the way you're bringing it up, it almost sounds like the storyline from Master's of Horror "Cigarette Burns"

Don't know this one.. another to add to the queue! Will watch both yours and discotech's tonight (if I can find yours online) and get back to ya. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

This is an old one, sorry about the quality. They showed us this in elementary school, I remember it to this day.

Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Just saw it. I cant believe I missed this one.

Its powerful.

Its going to be stuck in my head all day.

Thanks for sharing.

edit on 9 6 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Just saw it. I cant believe I missed this one.

Its powerful.

Its going to be stuck in my head all day.

Thanks for sharing.

Hey, thanks for watching! Let me know if you have any thoughts on it, once you've had a bit of time to process. It stayed on my mind for some time after first watching, too.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Wow, you're right.. there are quite a few similarities between the two. That was a good suggestion, thank you.

If that had happened today, you could be sure there would be someone with their phone out, filming..

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The french movie Adrenaline is the movie that kinda left a mark on me. Here's the scene of the car, which is very similar to the Phone booth movie.

youtu.be...
edit on 6-9-2016 by Osiriss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov I vaguely remember being about 15 and my big brother woke me up to watch it, funnily we were talking about this movie a few months ago. Early days on ch4 good days. Going to watch it again now,cant remember it affecting me at the time in any way,but 30 years later I still remember it so maybe

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thanks for the link! I read the story the film was based on in highschool.. very good and one you can't forget. I wonder, knowing the end, if the film will have such a strong effect on me as the story. Will let you know.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Osiriss

Well, that was intense (and yes bore a striking resemblence). Will watch the full movie soon.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Phones have always been evil.

Pretty dark film with plenty of prophetic and allegorical imagery to satisfy the conspiracy theorist lurking in everyone.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

This is an old one, sorry about the quality. They showed us this in elementary school, I remember it to this day.

Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge

Ambrose Bierce, fantastic film!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Hey there, I hadn't even thought of the conspiracy element.. and great point about phones--although now the trap is self-inflicted, from the inside out

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Just watched the film you linked.. it was excellent! I was surprised at how well done, the short story was a difficult one to portray.

Loved the music, the black and white, and the ending was superb.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Thanks, the plot, imagery and portrayal of the era were superb like you said. I never read the book but the film stuck wth me, too.

Thanks for jarring my memory with this thread. I got to watch La Cabina last night. It was also well done. The warehouse scene of dead corpses in phone booths... poignant.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Glad you enjoyed it! Agreed. That last scene is amazing. Love the score, too.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Glad you enjoyed it! Agreed. That last scene is amazing. Love the score, too.

Have you ever seen the Czech anime film, Fantastic Planet? Also creepy with special sound effects, music and theme.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join