It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions Wanted: Is "Katty Corner" Still a Cromulent Term?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Good question... but no, none of us have just moved here recently. I remember my mom using the term more than my dad, so I am kind of wondering if it's more of a country folk saying. (My mom was a farm girl... my dad a city brat)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix
a reply to: butcherguy

Thank you for the link -- That's fascinating! Thank you!!!

From that it would seem that I picked up "catty" from my grandmother (from the south), rather than my mother (from the midwest, where "kitty" is more common.)

Hmmm....

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: lordcomac

I love that map- I've never once heard catty-corner, always kitty corner.

Some one posted a vernacular usage map awhile back that was able to tell where you are from in the country by what phrases you use, it was so accurate it actually got the correct city in northern New Jersey where I am from.

Have you ever eaten a Slater's Slider?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Have you ever eaten a Slater's Slider?

If you're talking about the place over near Sandy Hook, yes, we grabbed some food from there once when heading to the beach (or 'down the shore' as we call it in NJ).

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's the place.
I was checking on how far north 'north' is.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
That's the place.
I was checking on how far north 'north' is.

I am originally from Paterson and now in West Orange so I am relatively far north.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

its a regional thing. Here, its kitty corner.

I have 3 websites I am insane over. This is one of them, and they covered the etymology of the term "katty corner" nicely:

www.todayifoundout.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I've always used the term "kitty-corner".

This is the first time I've ever heard it said as "katty-corner".

I was scratching my head reading the thread title wondering what the heck you were talking about.... until I clicked on your thread and read the OP.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thank you for the link! That was a twofer -- more info about cattywampus too (as my dad used to say). But he used it in the "askew" sense, rather than the "diagonal" sense.

There's a Navajo word, pronounced "guh-geese" that means about the same thing as cattywampus, and my hubby picked it up on a job working with a couple Navajos. When he tried to explain its meaning to me, I said, "Oh, like cattywampus?" and my hubby thought I made it up! I'm going to have to show him this.

I'm loving this! I love word and name origins... and I've got two new websites to bookmark and enjoy. I'm so glad I posted this...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

LOLing at myself! Sorry about the title. Does sound crazy as I read it now.

Thanks for sharing yours too. It's funny how threads take their own direction. I never thought this would be an education in "kitty corner" versus "katty" and all the other versions.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Kitty Corner.

It must be the Nibiru Effect.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I know what it means...I use it....and I hear it used from time to time.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yes! Another "katty" instead of "kitty"... so I'm not the only one

But it definitely seems the "kitties" are more common than us "katties."

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
i read the op's explanation and the replies, i've still no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Grew up in Texas hearing catty corner from older folks.
Haven't heard the term for a long time.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

So I take it that means you haven't heard either term? Ever? I guess that's a vote for me!

ETA: My apologies. I should have explained since you said you didn't understand. "Katty corner" or "catty corner" or "kitty corner" is a term for a diagonal direction. So in the context I originally used it, describing the location of a store, instead of saying it was in the shopping center northeast of Target, I said it was "katty corner" to the Target store on the southwest corner.

I hope that makes sense because I really don't know how to explain it better!
edit on 6-9-2016 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: texas thinker

Hmmmm... so maybe it is going out of use?

(I'm an older folk!)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Alrighty then.

I think it's time for one of us old farts to educate the youngins on this kitty corner thing... it's important that we pass along such imperative knowledge and skills to the generations that follow us.

Now, using my finely tuned and highly skillful artistic abilities, here's a drawing I made of an intersection with a different store on each corner:

*ahem*

[old folk speak on]

"Walmart is kitty-corner from Safeway."
"Starbucks is kitty-corner from McDonalds."

[old folk speak off]

Hope that clears it up for any of you young whipper snappers who are still scratching their heads wondering what the heck we're talking about.

edit on 7-9-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

That's perfect! Just perfect!!!

Thanks -- from an old fart who couldn't figure out how to explain it so well

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
My thanks to everyone who contributed to my silly thread... but it was great fun for me.

Since I decided early on that I would accept "kitty corner" as the equivalent of "katty corner," and since only a couple posters had never heard the term, looks like I'm making beef stew for my son!

Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join