It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is ready to hand over the internet on Sept. 30

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Oops
edit on 6-9-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Go daddy etc doesn't own those domains, they just set them up for you if you don't know how to get one yourself. I forget who owns it all, starts with I.

It's like a travel agent selling hotel or air fare , if you don't want to do it yourself

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: gmoneystunt

I am not sure what to make of this. What if this is all just an overreaction or is Sept. 30th the beginning of internet censorship in the US like in China.

Well, first of all - this is the ACTUAL TITLE OF THE BBC article:

US ready to 'hand over' the internet's naming system

That hardly transcribes to "handing over the internet."

So ..... you don't know what to make of it?

This: you are buying into what the dailymail and wnd are "making" of it. Which both are ridiculously tabloid like the National Enquirer.

Second of all, you have not read the links to your own articles......
your "title" is misleading.

No one is "handing over the internet".
It is talking about the NAMING of websites. Which is NOT A BIG DEAL.

Do you own any websites? Do you know how little it means?
All it means is that if you want to make your own website and call it "dandelions dot com"....you have to subscribe to (buy) that name. It's about 11 dollars a year...often much less.

I know what the BBC article title is. I explained it was the naming system in the opening sentence. Not a big deal?

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical decentralized naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network.

Changing who controls a resource like the internet is a big deal

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Can someone explain why the usa must have control of the net?.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Ask Trump.
I'm sure he would have answer. Can't vouch for how rational it would be.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Can someone explain why the usa must have control of the net?.

Because the USA invented the internet back in the early 1960's. Furthermore the US is the only country in the world that is "suppose" to defend freedom, and freedom of speech, freedom of the Press.

The fact is, the Powers That Be do not like freedoms, they do not like their crimes exposed on the internet.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Low brain functioning as I am, I can't think of one positive outcome for the USA by just giving this away?

Again, Thanks, Obama. Can you just go away now-haven't you done enough despicable damage to our country?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Okay.......so.......
I can buy a domain through them. They keep track of what domain names are taken, and which are available.

What are you talking about? If you want a [dot]vio site?

Who wants that? The idea of domain names is to build a "brand". To find a memorable or clever or easily transmitted name[dot]blah ...............

If a person wants to be "found" on the internet, they want to buy a domain name that will easily become 'common terminology', like "ebay" or "facebook".....So they (knowing that naive consumers won't notice in time) can buy "facebook-dot-xyz" if they want to start a new site.

Many people will go there, and before realizing they are not on "THE" facebook, they might get ripped off...
That's how online crooks redirect people when they are surfing -- then land them on malicious websites......and then take advantage of the consumers who don't know enough to realize that "paypal dot com" is not the same as "paypay dot com".........nor do they notice their typo, and so they think they are going to payPAL....but they are not. They are going to payPAY, which does a lame imitation of the original actual payPAL site....
IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT......

just the other day I mistyped a website address, and was met with ALARM! pop ups that would not quit and insisted that I call some 800 number to have the problem corrected. IT WAS A TOTAL SCAM.

So, yes --- some central agency having oversight would be a better monitor than every country's' clerks to keep it all straight.

Today I heard from a man that he was told his birth certificate "expired." I don't understand anything about how that could happen, except government fragmentation, lack of cohesive objectives, or some bizarre, outlandish notion.

But - still. There it is.

Sad.
I don't know why I keep coming back here just to wind up with a frustration/bewilderment headache.

Good night, everyone.

edit on 9/6/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Not a big deal?

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical decentralized naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network.

No one "owns" it, though. It is managed. It has managers. I know what DNS is, okay?

I also know that you deliberately left out the "naming system" part in your title as click-bait.

Yes, I know what DNS means....and I know that any number of commercial sites can HOST your "domain." The expensive part isn't the "name" - it's the hosting. Every hosting service out there can host ANY domain name. They don't give a rip what the "name" is ---- they want to HOST IT.

So - yeah.

The "naming system" should be as global as the Dewey Decimal System is....do you know what the Dewey Decimal System is?

One country doesn't "own" the Dewey Decimal System. Please try to discern the difference. The US do not "own" the internet or its naming system. A global naming system is not a privately-owned thing. So they are not "handing over" the internet. Or the naming system.

The OP is titled in a way to encourage one to become hysterical, convinced that the "Global agreement" is going to somehow result in 95% of the global population being vaporized; that is ridiculous.

edit on 9/6/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
They don't keep track of domain names . Any hosting service does. You pick a name, pick whatever comes after the dot com, net, org, ca You then own the name if you pick it yourself indeoendantly of places like godaddy . However you do renew it to keep it. So long as you pay the yearly fee.

Yes I get all about the SEO ( search engine optimization) it's best to use a name that describes you or what you think most search for via keywords. Adding dashes is dumb, nobody can remember the name if just typing it it in.
Say your company us called All Pro Roofing, you want to choose allproroofing.com. It would be wise to also have that same name in dot org, dot net, etc to stop others taking that, not for roofing mind you, that wouldn't be a global company, but if its global targeted, get them all!

However you can be any domain name you want, it's the title of the pages that is shown more visibly on Google. Then you need to work on a good description and keywords being on the pages

I haven't done websites in years. I'm sure the SEO has changed, it always did. I used to be overly competitive, poking my nose into other site's traffic logs to see what keywords were most common drawing visitors in. If they were dumb enough to not keep their traffic logs private. Many were. Anyways it wasn't really a business site. I refused to do those although I was asked to. Takes up way too much time! Fun at the time though, just a hobby.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Don't promote that kind of tripe, dude!!

The US does not OWN the internet!!! It's utterly preposterous to say that!!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Not a big deal?

No one "owns" it, though. It is managed. It has managers. I know what DNS is, okay?

I also know that you deliberately left out the "naming system" part in your title as click-bait.

Yes, I know what DNS means....and I know that any number of commercial sites can HOST your "domain." The expensive part isn't the "name" - it's the hosting. Every hosting service out there can host ANY domain name. They don't give a rip what the "name" is ---- they want to HOST IT.

So - yeah.

The "naming system" should be as global as the Dewey Decimal System is....do you know what the Dewey Decimal System is?

One country doesn't "own" the Dewey Decimal System. Please try to discern the difference. The US do not "own" the internet or it's naming system. So they are not "handing over" the internet. Or the naming system.

What is your problem? Naming system, yea if you have control of that you could censor internet pages which in turn could in turn censor the internet. Please stay on topic, the Dewey decimal system has nothing to do with this. Stop belittling me!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

They don't keep track of domain names . Any hosting service does. You pick a name, pick whatever comes after the dot com, net, org, ca You then own the name if you pick it yourself indeoendantly of places like godaddy . However you do renew it to keep it. So long as you pay the yearly fee.

That is what I just freaking said!!!! I KNOW THAT. jeezykreezy dot com.

The domain names are out there. If the name is not ALREADY TAKEN, you can get it through ANY of those sellers; they all have access to ALL OF THE NAMES. I could buy "indigo dot edu" on ANY DOMAIN NAME SITE if no one else owns it already. I could buy it from whoever DOES own it, if it's already taken.
I know all that. I just don't see any threat at all in the "UN" (a committee of nations) agreeing to adopt the NAMING SYSTEM. Who gives a rip who keeps track????? The name sellers don't do the "tracking" anyway.

The fears of the OP are unfounded, sensationalistic, and misleading. The US is not going to "hand over the internet" because the internet is not the "property" of the US, nor is the naming system.

edit on 9/6/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: fafdff

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I just think you don't know what you're talking about.

But, fine.

Enjoy your thread. Enjoy your irrational hysteria, too.

Yay conspiracy theories!

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

The fears of the OP are unfounded, sensationalistic, and misleading. The US is not going to "hand over the internet" because the internet is not the "property" of the US, nor is the naming system.

My fears? Hysteria? I am only making a thread based on info from other websites and seeing what peoples opinions are. If you got a problem with it complain to the websites that originally produced this info. Find another thread to crash

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

That will never Happen
in the format that you understand.
Ever.

S&F to your thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The internet what is that??...

I am using the Gopher protocol to access ATS.....

RA

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Yeah Obama still has issues when it comes to violating the law. There are 2 laws in place that block the transfer to the UN / any other nation.

It's seems the Reich's Chancellor doesn't care.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Can you cite those laws?
Please?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I guess we will all have to get used to comming here via [ip address] /~atshosting. If they block domain names to places they believe to be discenting.
edit on 6-9-2016 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join