It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Always buy the best.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I wanted to disagree with you because I immediately assumed you were talking about guitars.

Drums are kind of a different animal, acoustic sets anyway. Heat/humidity and time can alter specific tonalities of the shells. I can't for a second draw the conclusion that quality/tonality is equally applied to the price-tag in these sets.

Electric drums would certainly fit your argument. The higher price is usually indicative of the quality of the computer and accuracy of the sound clips used. It would also apply to the quality of the mesh or rubber pads, stand strength etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The TD-30kv is the most amazing set of drums I have ever played. That being the case, there is always something better looming on the horizon. They may not even be Roland (but seriously doubt it). Another point is presence, as they look good on a stage, and in fact, you would have to look twice to see that they are electronic. Some venues do not like most electronic kits, but this is always an exception. Another reason to seek the top of the line.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Yes he's talking about a virtual Roland drum kit,top of the range so just the module alone is close to two grand in UK let alone the rest of the kit

Drums are different beasts than guitars,we can make do spending far less or we can if we can afford it surpass the price of his extended kit with one guitar alone let alone amp and cabs

The roland kit will always be the flagship on that type of kit,Simmons may have introduced it and Yamaha entered the fray but Roland have invested a lot of time fine tuning their product over the years

For guitarists I would expect we could on a cheap budget buy playable instrument that keeps tuning and amp for gigging for under 500 quid if buying brand new

Yamaha Pacifica do lower price models that play really well

With guitars don't forget we also look at the tone woods in different company models and that can reflect on the price including bolt on or neck through designs

The more expensive a guitar (apart from signature models) the better generally the hardware and components are and push it above its budget brother in the lower range

That range disapates when you get to a certain cost as going above that might not reflect in overall build quality and purely just be cosmetic

From a lowly Pacifica to a dragon inlayed PRS,guitarists have so many options to use

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I disagree as a guitar/keyboard instructor. I would agree that one should buy the best THEY CAN AFFORD at the time..not THE best. Yes, quality is everything...BUT...Ive had students who just took up the guitar on a whim or to play one song...then they drop out or lose interest.

No sense buying a $2500 Gibson Les Paul from the Custom Shop or Special Edition Fender Strat...when a crap Fender Squire (real cheap and basically looks good, plays questionably)...or an Epiphone Les Paul..would do.

The music store I took lessons at hired me at 19 to teach guitar and had at a point 50+ students-all styles Kiss to Django Reinhardt to the Beatles to Les Paul/Mary Ford. I would tell them to get the best average instrument...as long as the neck is straight, and has a truss rod to adjust it if it isnt.

To suggest a starting drummer buy a $5000 set day one is just foolish. And when I would buy a guitar...I NEVER...EVER plugged the darn thing in. Why not? Because I was one of those nutty kids who would strip everything as soon as I got it home...even cars...and customize it my way.

A long as the frets were level and the neck straight or at least adjustable...I was good. My current main guitar is an America Custom Shop Sunburst Fender Strat. I have a 69 Gretsch Country Gentleman, a 73 Les Paul Custom(pulled the pickup covers off the humbuckings and replaced one with a Dimarzio humbucker for heavy sounds in neck position)...and still have more acoustics, collectables, keyboards Roland JX-3P, to an old Fender Rhoades to Korgs to Yamahas and Kurziweils.

All that being said...buy the best you can afford. Step it up when you can, get nothing at S.R. Price...wait for the sales...and hit places like Guitar Centers or Sam Ash for advice.

There are zillions of people out there who sunk big bucks into name instruments because they thought its what to do...and they quit soon afterwards...and those great instruments ended up in a closet..

Buy the best functioning instrument you can afford...based on your current level and where you expect it to take you: in a band, recording studio, the bedroom...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
sploid.gizmodo.com...

sploid.gizmodo.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-5000-guitar-and-a-150-guitar-1784159245

top topics

<< 1   >>

join