It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont have a smartphone and i LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PandaPrincess
it makes me angry

Then you have anger issues that should be looked into.

Lol, I'm writing this on my iPad...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaPrincess

It feels great doesnt it!? I have been without mine for over a year now and love every minute of it.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I recently got an email from the Social Security Administration saying they were rescinding their requirement for an 'extra level of security' on top of password protected accounts on their website that needed you to have a texting option.

Seems they found out belatedly that old people don't text.

I've never texted and wouldn't know how if I tried, I think. I have an 'Obama' phone, one of those freebies that California gives out free if you're destitute enough. I barely know how to turn it on, it's nearly impossible to accurately dial the phone on it (I have to use it once a month to keep it workable, so I call myself on my ancient land line once in a while and can barely do that right) and I still haven't figured out how to leave it on all the time, or how to access the internet on it. Everything's too small and you push the buttons on the screen and nothing seems to happen, or happens randomly.

I call it my 'flat tire phone' to have in case... my biggest fear is I'll see a gigantic Triangular UFO and won't know how to take pictures of it and everyone will be mad at me.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

My phone (haha, not Iphone but myphone)

Costs fifteen bucks, has a badass flaslight, and the battery lasts for over a month- so everyone can suck my phone!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I've managed to get by without a cell phone (never had one) and don't think I'll ever really want one.

I understand that there might be some emergency someday that will make me wish I had one, but that unknown improbablilty is not enough for me to compromise the quality of life I have from being cell-free!

To each his own-- seeing people glued to their phones doesn't anger me one bit-- although I must admit that it is quite disconcerting to see videos pop up of some tragedy or another where everyone is filming and none are stopping to help (and no, I don't usually click on these--I know there's a voyeur lurking in me but refuse to feed it).

Anyone here see the UK series Black Mirror? (It was on Netflix--not sure if it is still) What an excellent take on some of the potential horrors our technology might bring. It has some concepts relevant to this thread..highly recommended!
edit on 2-9-2016 by zosimov because: spelling

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
all those sheeple walking up and down with their phones in their hands obsesively
i w ant you all to know i hate each and every one of you!!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I tried to stay away from smart phones. But then I saw how much easier they make it for me to generate some money. Now when I find something valuable in my salvage or thrifting, I can put it on eBay or CL, or Offer Up, or LetItGo within minutes. Sometimes I list it across the board on all four for maximum exposure. Plus I can respond to inquiries in real time instead of waiting to get home on the computer. Also, I enjoy checking in on Gig Walker whenever I travel to see if I can make a few extra bucks when im out and about.

Took a trip to Best Buy once, and noticed they were offering a $50 gig not just at the one I was at, but at least 7 others in the area. I picked them all up, and it turned my off day in to a work day. But I pulled in $300 for about 5 hours of work for doing simple audits of their sales floor appliances and taking pictures. So I guess smart phones arent so bad.

Although admittedly, I frequently leave home completely forgetting to bring it. Especially if I am out with the family. It is still a Personal Tracking Device though, no matter if it is smart or dumb.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
PandaPrincess

Perhaps you would have a much more fulfilling existence if you stopped giving a damn what other people do, princess. Dig?

P.s. I crafted this reply using my smartphone. My only means of accessing the internet.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I agree 100 % I have a simple flip phone ( Rugby 4 ), its all i need , I get teased a lot by smart phone users all the time, I reply take out your phone, so they do and I say see that crack that will never happen to me I say, and if you don't mind saying what do you pay for DATA LOL.

Its really sad I go to my sons Judo and almost every parent pays lots more attention to their phones than their child and when you go to a public place people don't talk to the person next to them any more they just pull out the Stupid phone and shut out the world around them, its very sad what we are becoming,people don't even talk to the person next to them anymore.
I've been on dates where the woman can't leave the phone alone.

Its sad because I feel as though I am being slowly forced to have to get one, and the non smart phones seem to be designed to not work as they should making the user frustrated, my blue tooth on my flip wont work with my blue tooth enabled car, argg frustrating.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Not all are robots.

I guess you never experienced being in public minding your own business just travelling from point A to point B with a few breaks and or leisure moments when one of those vocal retards think because you don't look at an electronic device you want a conversation with them. No I don't, and there is no polite way in telling it, somehow it always ends either rude or a conversation, that was supposed to be avoided, is started. It is a lose-lose situation. But nowadays you can just pick out your phone when you spot a clinging vocalist and just give a blanc stare at the homescreen of your phone and they walk by deluded and proud of themselves they don't need the "attention" from an device. That is a win-win situation.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

PS I hate smart phones they are the worst thing to ever happen to humanity, its the driving wedge separating people from being human.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Aww, that so cute.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Posting form my smartphone :-)

I'm a bit of a Tec head (always have been) and like my smartphone for many reasons,, yes i've still got a tablet/laptop but hardly use them as much cause i can do most of it on my phone,, free music, 4G internet, WiFi, Bluetooth printing/sharing etc, many apps, list goes on and on.

What I'm getting at is, for people that need this Tec to work or net etc, that have a budget of a few hundred or less it makes life easier,, you can't deny that for them?, like a multi tool, it does many jobs.

Why buy a single fridge and freezer, when you can have both for one price?
edit on 2-9-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

You sound jealous...and apparently one of the only ones generally around you that doesnt.

Its like that one person in a crowd of 1,000 who doesnt get it...havent you wondered why youre admittingly one of the..or the...only one who doesnt??

You know, some are watching weather, talking to their kids, catching news, a tv series to pass the time, reading, looking at the calendar, their grocery list, reminders...but not you.

Respectfully, just sayin'...and askin'..but hey. Its still ok.....

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I don't have one either. I don't have ANY kind of phone! An ex sent me a text that ticked me off last October, and I smashed my free Tracphone and haven't gotten another since. I plan too though.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I have what I guess is a feature phone. Yeah, the screen is a touch screen, but it's not useful for anything beyond calling or texting.

Which is fine by me, because I don't need a mini-computer when I go somewhere. It's the recurring monthly costs that make or break something for me, and I'm not paying for internet access when I can wait until I get home.
I use Tracfone, and it costs me about $22 every 3 months. $7 & change a month versus the just shy of $40 my husband pays for his Boost plan? Up front cost of the phone aside (of which mine ran about, what was it... $20 on sale?) I'll keep mine, thanks

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I'm a newbie to the smartphone, even though I came from the generation that uses them the most. My first phone was a Razr V3, the very first model that came out. Because I lived with my dad, both me and him got those phones. At the time, it was cool because it didn't need an antenna, you could take pictures, call, and text (at a really expensive rate).

Outside of him and myself, everyone else quickly switched to the newer models coming out. We never texted all while we had the phones. We both used our phones even after our models were discontinued...but a few years. It was funny going in to renew our contract, because they forgot they even sold our models to us!

Enter the IPhone I now have - it's not glued to my hand. The phone stays home when I'm in town, hiking (unless I want to take some photos for referencing later), or on walks. While I do like using the maps to help me find my destination in a pinch, I can still read a map book and remember street names. If I'm stuck somewhere super early (like all band members are), the phone allows me to read up on ATS, watch movies, or help me learn something.

Good for you that you have a lifestyle that doesn't revolve around one of those gadgets - It's nice to know someone else apart from me can do that.

-fossilera

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera
While I do like using the maps to help me find my destination in a pinch, I can still read a map book and remember street names.

Even the maps function isn't enough of a selling point for me. While my husband's fumbling with his map app, I've got the map BOOK turned to the area we're in & have a route down already. Fancy phone not as much of a time saver as advertised...

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

On the other end of the spectrum, I am essentially on call 24/7 for my job so being able to get email, txt, voice, web access, documents, VPN, whatever while mobile is a convenience that is not worth giving up.

Good for you that you have a simple mobile phone which just gives the ability to call or txt but that simply is not applicable to all walks of life.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

For me, it wasn't really a selling point either - where I found it useful was when I started taking more roadtrips. I don't travel much outside of MI, so I have a relatively up-to-date mapbook for MI only.

I use the apps as a guideline more or less - For example, a mapbook won't tell you if the day you drive to Indiana they decided to close all the roads to your destination. At least the apps that I use will do what I would usually do the night before: Automatically pick an alternative route.

From my vantage point, to me it takes equally as long to look up a route in a book as pressing a button that says "Find me the quickest route".

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join