It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgetown University To Help Decendents Of Slaves.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hey...what about me? I have been a slave to low wages, high health insurance costs, high rents, high food costs...maybe I deserve a break for things happening today...not 200 years ago.
I am sure I got a ancestor that was a slave to someone, sometime, somewhere...where do I benefit, how do I benefit, where do I sign up mr. university...will my kids get a break on tuition and admission preference over some white or china man with money in the bank and off-the-charts SATs?
Life ain't fair and we all know it...but it just got more so....
Cheers

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Wait until the social justice crowd finds out that Yale is named after a vocal advocate of slavery and has an edowment in the billions ...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JaMeDoIt

Yeah those are similar things. You parents and grandparents were prob forced to live segrated and have the gov say send radiatuon into their airducts to test the effects of fallout, or allowed to die of siphulus to record the stages of the illness.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If Yale decides on their own to cha ge their name that would be an issue for you?

You dint think slavery is an injustice? There was nevsr any reperations. In fact they remained segregated until my mothers time and I anit that old.

What exactly is the issue here? Its a christian school. They are atoning for their sins as they see fit. Its not the government telling them to do it.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wouldn't a better legacy be, helping to prevent the on-going human trafficking-a/k/a slavery in many, many parts of the world. Including the United States. Wouldn't it?

Maybe?

Just maybe?

Read this one.

The third link has a link to the actual report in PDF format. I'd say enjoy, but anyone who enjoys it is probably a little off. Note: It's almost seven years since its release, the numbers are probably greater.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

If Yale decides on their own to cha ge their name that would be an issue for you?

You dint think slavery is an injustice? There was nevsr any reperations. In fact they remained segregated until my mothers time and I anit that old.

What exactly is the issue here? Its a christian school. They are atoning for their sins as they see fit. Its not the government telling them to do it.

This isn't about slavery being an injustice or not.

This is about people thinking that somehow this will fix what happened over 100 years ago, done by people who are all dead to people who are all dead. This is completely denying the very real truth that the bloodiest war in US history was fought to end those conditions. Brother fought and killed brother over it.

But let's forget all that and make some feel good measures.

And let's say they do change Yale's name. What will it be? Connecticut U? That sounds all Ivy league doesn't it ...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What about the ancestors of black slave owners and black slave traders?

The first legal slave owner in America, Anthony Johnson, was a black man.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Do you realize its the decendants of the slaves that built the school they are talking about?

The jesuits kept the records and they are providing this to those families not every slave family. Though that wouldnt bother me either.

Sounds like most people having a pity party about how hard there lives are and how this isnt fair in all these posts.

For all you christians that's several of the 7 deadly sins right there.

You have to be a real bigot to think first off a private school doesnt have this right, and second its meaningless to recognise an injustice your institution created.

I see absolutely no harm in this at all.
edit on 1-9-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Why would it have to be a choice between?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Oh, I guess it's all okay then.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

This is for the slaves (200+ ) decendants that built the school. Not all slaves.

Who gives a sht who did the slavery. The point is it was wrong. Its not about what color the slave owner was. Its about a spiritual organization admitting it was wrong.

And yes its pretty racist to pretend it never happened, and that we fixed the problem.

Yeah we fixed it with the civil rights act that ended segregation except johnson continued it with the war on poverty. Planned on getting votes by giving hand outs and keeping people dependant on gov, attaching property tax to schools etc.

Education is a way out of ignorance. Its not a handout. You have to do the work or you fail.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Can they do both, certainly. Not saying they shouldn't.

But the effort, in my not so humble opinion, would be better spent helping save some little boy or girl from fates worse than death.

Children ripped away from family, and everything they've ever known, to be put to work on the streets of cities all over the world as play toys for those with the money to afford, and the sickness to pay.

Bangkok. New York. Hong Kong. Seattle. ...any where, and every where. London. Paris. Amsterdam. Moscow.

Not just children, though those are the most horrific, but adults, too. Where were the shoes we buy made? ...and by who?
Who harvested the coffee we drink? Or the rice we eat? Human slavery is, if not pervasive, certainly far, far too common and wide spread for any of us to ignore. Estimates of nearly 50 million world wide.

50 million. One sixth, one in every six, of the population of the United States. What's the population of New York City? That should give just a bit of perspective to it.

So yes, they can certainly do this at Georgetown. More power to 'em. They'd be better served to work on an actual problem.
edit on 9/1/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Well they are jesuits. They do things like that.

In fact to even go to the school you have to do community service while attending.

I know there are all sorts of jesuit conspiracies jus sayin what is required of the students.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Many cultures and people of all colors have been both victims and perpetrators of slavery throughout history. My wife comes from a country where the Turks enslaved her people for 500+ years. She's white.

There's also the inconvenient historical fact that many sold into slavery here during our earlier years were sold into it by blacks. It was a business transaction. They were black African slave owners who enslaved other blacks, then sold them for profit to the white man to transport here. Factually, blacks were enslaving blacks in Africa before we ever showed up. Factually, that still happens all over Africa and worse, mass rape/genocide against their own.

And by we, I mean the Brits and early Americans. My ancestry is Czech so that ain't my ancestors although I'm sure I'm somehow guilty by sharing the same skin tone, but then again I thought judging people on skin tone was racist.
edit on 1-9-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I'm well aware of modern slavery. I don't know that better served is comparable however. Think about it... at most five generations ago, some people labored for free to build that school. The founders of Georgetown University only had to pay for the initial cost of the slaves, materials and enough food and water (if they were lucky) to stay alive, all money probably recouped day one of accepting tuition for students. The slaves obviously got nothing and for three-four generations after, were denied access to that school. Five generations of socioeconomic suppression seems like an actual problem to me.

If I stole a billion dollars from 100 purple people and gave it to 1000 green people then made all kinds of laws keeping purple people as hidden as possible, disallowed to enter or participate in the society their money paid for, then one day said oh okay I guess that was wrong and welcomed them to join green society, except a lot of green people didn't like it so much... in 60 years how are those purple people going to be doing... overall? A lot will have overcome that massive canyon, a lot will still be trapped in poverty.

Sixty years since desegregation, it's an amazing feat that so many have come so far in such a short amount of time, some back pay for services rendered could go a long, long way. Especially if it's a free education. Maybe there won't be so many dead and incarcerated bodies.
edit on 9/1/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Oh, I guess it's all okay then.

Said nobody.

Besides you, of course.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
When I saw this article here is what can be stated:

1870, keep that year in mind. There is a problem in a nutshell.

They know some of the descendants, and they will get preferential treatment, however, the other part would be those who are claiming to be descendants of such, would have to do a lot of serious genealogical work. One of the problem is that those who were slaves, up until the 1870’s, names were not recorded on the census records, before 1860’s there was no category of freeman. In short on the form, it was the owners name, the owners family, and then the number of slaves the person owned, or had. And if a slave was sold, then they would be moved to another location, their own children could be sold to other plantations, and thus their surname later on, would be different from those of their parents, and so forth.

The sheer work will be enormous for those wanting to claim as such, for they will have to start and trace it back to the last owner and then work hard, to get ahold of historical societies, and libraries, and other places that would have historical records to get that information together.

And after all of that, would have to submit their documentation to a panel of genealogist, to review and go through to verify such.

And how many children and descendants are there, from the past 179 years?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

That is exactly what you're trying to do, make it okay... what's sad is that you don't need to. Stop living under the false perception that anyone is trying to make you or anyone else feel guilty for slavery or for being white.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
When I saw this article here is what can be stated:

1870, keep that year in mind. There is a problem in a nutshell.

They know some of the descendants, and they will get preferential treatment, however, the other part would be those who are claiming to be descendants of such, would have to do a lot of serious genealogical work. One of the problem is that those who were slaves, up until the 1870’s, names were not recorded on the census records, before 1860’s there was no category of freeman. In short on the form, it was the owners name, the owners family, and then the number of slaves the person owned, or had. And if a slave was sold, then they would be moved to another location, their own children could be sold to other plantations, and thus their surname later on, would be different from those of their parents, and so forth.

The sheer work will be enormous for those wanting to claim as such, for they will have to start and trace it back to the last owner and then work hard, to get ahold of historical societies, and libraries, and other places that would have historical records to get that information together.

And after all of that, would have to submit their documentation to a panel of genealogist, to review and go through to verify such.

And how many children and descendants are there, from the past 179 years?

Actually they have been studying the geneolgy already and have found the decendants. They have record of the 200 or so slaves that built the school. Oh and its a University, thats what they are good at,..research.

Why is this a big deal? I have to wonder what the motivation is discredit a spiritual organization that is trying to make a statement to society that ehat they did was wrong.

I gurantee if strom thurman or wallace came out today and said I am sorry for my policies and speeches people would jump all over them. "That was 40 years ago who cares its not like these black kids now were a victim of it, its not like they got bit by police dogs trying to go to college.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Well it is about time.
Good Lord.

These Citizens of The United
States of America deserve it.

S&F
edit on 1-9-2016 by Wildmanimal because: add in

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>