It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil's First female President, Dilma Rousseff, Has been Impeached

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Birds of a feather:

I have a feeling we will be following Brazil's example though and have an incredibly corrupt person (s)elected as our first female president.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This lady is like Hillary Jr

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

You are talking about a government headed up by a party that refused to even sign the constitution or vote for the country's fiscal responsibility law and then pretty much violated both as soon as it got power.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think this thread's fascinating.

I especially like hearing from our Brazilian members and their points of view.

One member pointed out they viewed the impeachment as open, transparent, Constitutionally guided, and in line with due process. I think that's interesting.

I am afraid that such a maneuver will not solve Brazils social, economic, political, and environmental issues - but as they say, baby steps.

I am convinced government is increasingly becoming a disaster worldwide, in every nation. It always has been obviously but there were a few good days in the last few decades. A few...

Our future is about to get really crazy folks, buckle up and dig in...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The Olympics helped set them back to a more third world status. Brazil was starting to get on it's feet before trying to pay for that monstrosity. Like I said the Olympics put them back economically quite a bit. They wouldn't be quite so third world if the Olympics stayed the eff out. Brazil is apparently not the first place the Olympics have decimated either.

As I said before, # the Olympics. I don't see how anyone can enjoy the Olympics knowing all this. Oh right most people don't. Instead they hear about all the issue Brazil has making everything as perfect as they can, citing every failure as a mark against the people of Brazil, meanwhile hiding how much hosting this damn thing actually cost the citizens themselves.

Yeah it revealed a lot about the state of Brazil, but what's ignored is how much of the current state of Brazil is actually due to the Olympics itself.
edit on 8/31/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/31/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorsen

Thank you, as outsider's we can only see what our media present's to us and sadly our media is somewhat biased, I hope that Brazil recovers as it has a lot to offer the world if it does and is actually a very important country for the future or rather can be if it does.

I truly hope that thing's work out for the best, thank you for your thought's and correcting my external and probably incorrect view on the matter, it does strike me as odd that as Puppylove pointed out the Olympic's took so much from the poor there and impoverished other's so that they have become poor because of them, if her government was for the people of Brazil then surely she would have seen that it would have been in there interest to leave funding of the Olympic games to the corporations and sponsors rather than to put so much of the state' on the line for them as that would have made more sense.

Of course there was the matter of national pride but then oddly familiar to this pride always come's before a fall and that may have been the case in point for her.

There are more important thing's in life than watching a group of pampered athlete's run around in circles like overgrown children on the sport's track and she did indeed seem to have forgotten that.
edit on 31-8-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT THE COUP = GOLPE!

Ok, i was thinking about opening my own threat, but i researched here, so i'll try to address all your issues since you seem already interested.

Of course, i'm a brazilian (here we call it brasil) and i "know everything about it" but from a 'dilmistic' point of view, if you know what i mean.

Even so, i still can reffer you to - the other side - arguments, since i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaallyly try to know what's going on around me.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

First off, you, mothrfcker. You are in deeper # than we, all right.
This picture is a result, something they all do, you can almost find Dilma "sucking around" anyone. See her smilling alongside her prime adversarie from 2 years ago 2 days ago.

Don't you judge her corrupt, even the #ers who took her out didn't. She is an (in)credible example of rightousness.

Her honesty is the main and almost only reason for her forced and deserved vacation.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Kadagraks

And sincerely, i don't mean the insults towards you, we brasileiros tend to use curse words to enfasize our meaning.
Me not polite much, you're still all right.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Woah, calm down there mate. Don't go around calling people motherf*ckers, and that's definitely not a "brazilian thing", that's just being an ass. You're just making us look bad and not really adding much to the discussion.

I know how that feels, trusting the media for an unbiased opinion on politics is really difficult.

Honestly, although he is undoubtedly better than Dilma, Temer isn't the president we want either. I'm positive that if we keep pushing we will make an even bigger difference in the future of this country.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

It's a shame (and political witch hunt) what is happening to Brazil's President, Dilma Rousseff. She was trying to expose and end corruption on every level of government. The very ones (top industrialist, bankers, politicians, judges, generals, etc) who have the most to lose (power and money) from her attempted purging also have all their tentacles in every branch of government - especially the highest courts and media. They are the ones painting the narrative...

She was trying to do good and now is being framed and crucified for it. She is being made to look guilty by those who are truly guilty in order to cover their asses and keep business the same.

What is happening to her is akin to being someone who is an advocate for children who is trying to end child trafficking being accused by those they are trying to stop, the actual child traffickers, as being one herself.

Up is down and down is up in this world thanks to media propaganda. Sadly, many gullible people have bought into the narrative that she is the bad one.

Chalk this impeachment up as another win for the bad guys. She was actually trying to rid evil and corruption, yet evil and corruption pulls the strings in Brazil. Ironic.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Brazil appears to be a hot mess but good on them for kicking cr@p to the curb assuming she was really cr@p. Now the trick is to not get more cr@p.

Speaking of cr@p and corruption, WhIle hillary will no longer be the first female President to be impeached , she and Billy can still be the first couple to get impeached.
So there is that.

edit on 32930America/ChicagoThu, 01 Sep 2016 00:32:13 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

First of all, spent a few weeks in Brazil recently (my 5th visit) and as usual had a wonderful time. Beautiful people and beautiful land.

It was no coup, PT (her party) is one of the most corrupt parties in this country.

It is a "soft coup". And yes, her party, along with the rest, is corrupt, but she isn't. That is crux of the witch hunt from within her party and also outside of her party. The entire legislature, industrialist, bankers, military lead by the elites are in on the corruption...

First of all, there has been a massive level of corruption. Regrettably, the Workers’ Party, Lula’s party, which had a real opportunity to achieve something extremely significant, and did make some considerable positive changes, nevertheless joined the rest—the traditional elite in just wholesale robbery. And that should—that should be punished.

On the other hand, what’s happening now, what you quoted from El Salvador, I think, is pretty accurate. It’s a kind of a soft coup. The elite detested the Workers’ Party and is using this opportunity to get rid of the party that won the elections. They’re not waiting for the elections, which they’d probably lose, but they want to get rid of it, exploiting an economic recession, which is serious, and the massive corruption that’s been exposed.

"Noam Chomsky: Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff "Impeached by a Gang of Thieves'": www.democracynow.org...

It's no coincidence that the protest against Dilma that we had recently was the largest protest in the history of this country, we're all fed up with these people.

I understand and agree with the protest. But you should entertain the possibility that Dilema was the only one trying to end it. She is just outnumbered by the wicked and corrupt, and now, unfortunately is being stiffed for doing so.

As protests continue in Brazil over the Legislature’s vote to suspend President Dilma Rousseff and put her on trial, Noam Chomsky notes that "we have the one leading politician who *hasn’t* stolen to enrich herself, who’s being impeached by a gang of thieves, who have done so.

Propaganda via state (elite) controlled media can influence the opinions and views of society via the distortion of facts. She was Brazil's only light and it got snuffed out...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Do you seriously believe that while her WHOLE party is involved in corruption, Dilma, the President, the one with the most power among them, is not involved in the least with anything that's going on? After Lula was accused of corruption by the Lava Jato operation, she literally tried to give him a Ministry just so he would be judged by a different court, one clearly easier to control. Do you still believe her main interest is fighting corruption? What about the fact that 19 of the ministers and ex-ministers appointed by her government are being investigated for corruption?
Maybe the fact that Marcelo Odebrecht was one of Dilma's personal counselors? The same Marcelo Odebrecht that is now in prison. I bet it's just coincidence that no less than 70% of the constructions made in foreign countries and paid for by the Brazilian public bank were carried out by Odebrecht. Sadly, such financing, caused a loss of more than R$1 Billion to the Fund of Support for Workers. And an even bigger coincidence was the fact that Odebrecht was also involved in the construction of the Atibaia Ranch, the one that Lula is about to get arrested for illegally owning.

Besides, even if Dilma wasn't involved in corruption, she was still a terrible President.

Her party claims to have taken 40 million people out of extreme poverty and into the middle class. Sure, they did, but by changing the definition of middle class to any family who receives between R$291 ($90) and R$1.019 ($316) per capita.

Since the second half of 2014 our GDP per capita has decreased almost 10%. To put in perspective, this amount is similar to that of countries at war.

We now have 12 MILLION people unemployed.

She cut R$4,2 Billion on education and R$2,3 Billion on health budgets.

I'm not claiming that Temer or anyone else is a saint, I'm just as disappointed with the other politicians as I am with her. But I'm not a fool to believe Dilma is perfect. I'm happy that she's gone, my hope is that not only she leaves politics forever, but so does her party, as well as opposition parties such as PSDB, PMDB and countless others that are just as corrupt.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I am glad to see this. My friend lives in Brazil and she has been distraught, depressed, and angry with how things in their country have been going under Dilma Rousseff's lead.

She told me this morning "She ruined this Brazil"

Just the opinions of one Brazilian, but shes my friend, and if she is unhappy with Dilma, then I am happy to see her impeached.

-Alee

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
The Olympics helped set them back to a more third world status.

Try not to over exaggerate. The games cost Brazil less the $10 bill USD. While Brazil is a developing nation with a host of problems, the games were hardly a financial drain. More problematic is the world economy

originally posted by: Puppylove
As I said before, # the Olympics. I don't see how anyone can enjoy the Olympics knowing all this.

Well, you need to get out more, and stop the foul language. The sport was good and Brazil did well under the oppressive negativity and poor economics.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

You're absolutely right. I'm still very emotional. I'll be back if i calm down.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Sure thing. I think it's important to discuss these topics with a cool head, and your input will certainly be valuable seeing as you support her, and will be able to show us the other side of the situation.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A few facts about some senators who judged Dilma out:

Zezé Perrella: remember that helicopter full of pure coc aine? It's his.

Aécio Neves: a body (bullet in the head) was found in one of his properties, the cop who denounced it "committed suicide" by hanging himself in his bed.

Flexa Ribeiro: arrested in 2004 for public bids frauding.

Ivo Cassol: arrested in 2013 for public bids frauding.

Cássio Cunha Lima: impeached from governor of Paraíba in 2008 for misuse of public money, many shelved processes.

Ronaldo Caiado: slavery conditions verified in his rural properties.

Acir Gurgacz: admitted there was no crime from Dilma, but voted her out anyway.

Antonio Anastasia: issued 972 decrees of supplemental budget in three years as governor, avoiding to send money to health and education. Dilma was impeached by 3; which garanteed the money for social programs.
It's a big mockery on people that he was the referendary of this impeachment process.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Do you seriously believe that while her WHOLE party is involved in corruption, Dilma, the President, the one with the most power among them, is not involved in the least with anything that's going on?

Currently, yes; that is what I believe based on the information presented from both sides of the issue I have weighed. However, if I come across well documented information that shows otherwise, not a narrative painted by media propaganda and the very political people she is exposing, my attitude towards her and this whole Brazilian political fiasco will change. I'm particularly not fond of politicians to begin with.

History as shown that there have been many instances where the top industrialist, bankers, military, politicians, royal monarchs and judicial representatives have influenced and/or dictated domestic and international policy behind the backs of the world leaders. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was ignorant concerning what America's top industrial leaders relations with Nazi Germany were until it was too late is a prime example.

Often times the leader of the nation is aware of the corruption and becomes part of the cabal.

And sometimes the leader decides not to play along and rebels against the system. John F. Kennedy is a prime example of that. However, these days, coups via impeachment often is the means employed to rid a leader.

But for now, as it stands, I agree with Chomsky that: Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff is being "Impeached by a Gang of Thieves."

Besides, even if Dilma wasn't involved in corruption, she was still a terrible President.

Fair enough, you being a citizen of Brazil who this is affecting directly has every right to feel the way you do. However, her being ousted as leader and the way it is being done is a slap to the face of democracy and a high five to powers of corruption if she *wasn't* involved.

Dilma Rousseff is maybe the one politician who hasn’t—leading politician who hasn’t stolen in order to benefit herself. She’s being charged with manipulations in the budget, which are pretty standard in many countries, taking from one pocket and putting it into another. Maybe it’s a misdeed of some kind, but certainly doesn’t justify impeachment.

I believe she is being stiffed for trying to end the long standing corruption, not only within her own party but, in every level of government who are subjects of the banking and industrial elite.

In fact, she’s—we have the one leading politician who hasn’t stolen to enrich herself, who’s being impeached by a gang of thieves, who have done so. That does count as a kind of soft coup.

www.democracynow.org...

Do you still believe her main interest is fighting corruption? What about the fact that 19 of the ministers and ex-ministers appointed by her government are being investigated for corruption?

As I stated in my previous post:...yes, her party, along with the rest, is corrupt, but she isn't.

I believe the crux of her impeachment was in fact due to her main interest in fighting corruption...

Since the second half of 2014 our GDP per capita has decreased almost 10%.

She cut R$4,2 Billion on education and R$2,3 Billion on health budgets.

A massive level of corruption throughout all of government is the cause of Brazil's current economic recession. Her party policies is just one aspect that contributed to that. Do you honestly believe ANY government operates the way it is supposed to...?

I hope the wikileaks information comes out...

To put in perspective, this amount is similar to that of countries at war. We now have 12 MILLION people unemployed.

That is because your country is at war...with itself.

I'm not claiming that Temer or anyone else is a saint,I'm just as disappointed with the other politicians as I am with her. But I'm not a fool to believe Dilma is perfect. I'm happy that she's gone, my hope is that not only she leaves politics forever, but so does her party, as well as opposition parties such as PSDB, PMDB and countless others that are just as corrupt.

I feel you, my friend. Brazil has massive level of corruption from top all the way down - like most governments do. I agree, Dilma is NOT perfect, but there are far worse than her - they are the ones orchestrating all this. The sad part is; those worse ones will probably toe the line, and therefore receive praise. Most people's only source of information is spoon-fed to them through corporate media.

The Brazilian people have every right to be upset and react, because beyond the causes, they are the ones directly experiencing the effects. It is the everyday person whose currency of life that is in turmoil - not the ruling political and industrial class.

Unfortunately, many people *foolishly* allow emotions and propaganda to paint the narrative, not facts.

The people will get the illusion of reform from this impeachment to quell their anger and the elite will also get what they wanted: corruption to remain under the surface.

Here is the million dollar question: If the people's lives improve, does corruption even matter...?

edit on 1-9-2016 by Involutionist because: Grammar and punctuation SUCKS!

edit on 1-9-2016 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join