It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs Understand What We Say and How We Say It

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Dogs are dogs because of human interaction with wolves and I imagine if it continues dogs will get more intelligent and maybe even sentient. I'm talking ten thousand years or so and could even involve technology.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

S&F

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: hubrisinxs

Lol cute

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

If it involves technology then a lot sooner than 10K years.

People are already researching and using implantable technologies. As well as cybernetic prostheses that are controlled with your mind. Eventually that technology is going to mature. When it does humanity, and all the things that benefit humans(like dogs), will undergo a serious change. Our lifespans will be measured in centuries instead of decades. That's the idea anyway.

edit on 31 8 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Happened across this just now:

They really have evolved!

Now if we could manage to...

before we're the pets of the Machines...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
My dog is an asshole but we love him nevertheless.

edit on 31-8-2016 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

I train my dogs using a simple/rudimentary method: i have words/phrases that I always use when communicating with them. So when I say 'Potty Outside", they all run to the back door and wait to be let out. If i say "back", they all back away from me. "Leave it", they all drop and walk away from whatever they were doing.

They recognize names. I can tell Sasha to go find Lillie, and she will leave the room and return with Lillie, one of the other dogs. I can tell them, "Go see mimi", and they all go to my mothers room to check on her.

I use these phrases, as does everyone else, exactly the same every time.

Dogs aren't stupid. Humans just have too much hubris.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti If the dogs can, than why my wife cannot!?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
My dog knows the name of our daughter who is away at college, because whenever we say her name in conversation, he gets up excitedly and runs to her room (ostensibly looking for her).

He also knows the word "cat" so well (and words that rhyme with "cat") that we had to start saying "kitty" so he would stop going crazy when we said that word. The trouble is, he also learned what "kitty" means, so we have started saying "feline".

Pretty soon, we might need to start saying "pussy", but hopefully it won't come to that.

edit on 2016-8-31 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I read somewhere that dogs are one of only a handful of animals that understand what you mean when you point your finger at something.

I've never taught my dog it, but it always knows when for instance its looking at me to find his ball, and when I point to it because its behind the sofa or under a cushion, he goes there and finds his ball.

They are the animal thats closest to human emotions and understanding of out environment.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Ye thats funny, we have the same issue with 'walk', we know say the w word, or you know what, as soon as anyone mentions 'walk', hes right up to you panting, strutting, and looking forward to his walk

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I do the same. I couldn't list all the words and commands that Jaia knows! Consistency is key!

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

My pup listens very very intently when you talk to him ... ears up, head cocking to one side then the other, and carefully watching your face and looking you in the eye. You can tells he is very intent in trying to understand what the heck your carrying on about. Especially if he catches a few of his favorite words in the mix like "lets go" "ball" "walk" "play" and so on.

His all time favorites toys are his assortment of rubber fetching balls. He is learning to bring them according to their color names, "blue" "orange" and "big red". If you ask him for a specific ball he gets it right maybe 60-70% off the time and improving.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

You don't think dogs are sentient?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: multichild
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Ye thats funny, we have the same issue with 'walk', we know say the w word, or you know what, as soon as anyone mentions 'walk', hes right up to you panting, strutting, and looking forward to his walk

Dogs are very smart. If you ever spend some time with a dog you'll easily see that they pick up on words. They're good observers though and they'll pick up on more than just spoken words. They also look at things like body language and even the daily routine and will know that it's time for a walk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join