It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's getting near fall. Time for squash.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This time of year and in the coming weeks the produce section will begin to display colorful gourds in all kinds of shapes.
Squash is sometimes an ignored vegetable because folks don't know what to do with them.
They look cool in a basket with indian corn right?
While it's true many of the ornamental gourds are not edible I'm going to stick with common squash that can be found in any well stocked produce section.
The watery summer squashes like crookneck zucchini or spaghetti squash are quick to cook and can substitute pasta in some recipes for low carbers.

Saluted zucchini and yellow squash.
3 small zucchini
3 small yellow squash
1 small onion sliced
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic. (1 or 2 cloves)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Spring of fresh thyme or a pinch dried
Olive oil

Slice squash 1/4 inch thick. ( Don't you dare measles that lol) and place on paper towels with a bit of salt sprinkled over. ( use part of the 1/4 tsp) let this sit for 10 minutes or so. Blog the water that gathers on top.
Heat 2 Tbls olive oil in a pan. Add onion cook a minute or so. Add garlic cook another minute or so. Until you start to smell the garlic. Pat the squash again with paper towles and add them to the pan. Saute means over medium heat and will add color.
So cook those bad boys and don't mess with them. No standing there flipping them around. Let them settle in and relax a bit.
When they're nice and relaxed turn the heat up and brown them a bit crisp. Easy don't burn them.
Season and enjoy.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Oh, yeah! Squash! I can't wait for the acorn and butternuts to start coming in. I love just halving an acorn or butternut and roasting it then serving it with some butter in the bottom seasoned with some salt and pepper.

Then there's butternut squash soup with apple ...

Oh, squash season ...

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I had someone complement on the way I prepare my squash so I think I will share .

Cut the top of the squash like you would a pumpkin and clean out all the seeds . 2 table spoons of brown sugar and 1 table spoon of butter . Put the top back on and put the squash into a steamer . Its usually cooked when the squash collapses . Use a spoon to scrape the meat from the peel . It seems to maintain much more flavour and is great even when cooled . ...peace

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Spaghetti squash is a great sub for spaghetti. In any recipe you may have.
The easiest way to cook this is whole in the microwave. Yup you can do more than heat frozen vegetables in there.
Depending on size it can take up to twenty minutes or longer.
Poke some holes in the squash deep and many. This first part will take time so plan accordingly.
Place on a large microwave safe plate and microwave on high until it gives when pushed. 15 - 20 minutes.
When it's tender let it cool until you can touch it. About 30 minutes or so. Slice lengthwise and using a big salad serving fork remove the seeds . Take the squash and hold it end up and drag the fork through the flesh. It will come away in thin strips like spaghetti. You can then top with Alfredo sauce or tomato sauce.

But if y'all want to turn it up a notch take a 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, one beaten egg, 1/2 C. Mozzarella shredded and a can of tiny diced tomatoes season with a dash of nutmeg salt and pepper. . Just mess em all together but gentle like.
Put that into a buttered casserole dish sprinkle with more mozzarella and some shredded parmesan and cook at 350 for About 35 minutes until set and browned on top. Let cool and dish up like lasagna.
edit on 8292016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Near? Heck it is getting dark here in the AK!

The most abundant item in the bins at the Farmer's Market is zucchinis. Monstrous things that look like a baby! Were talking huge! But I prefer the smaller ones. Got two on the counter right now. I like your recipe! I was thinking more something along the lines of "red curry zucchinis and vegetable stir-fry".

Yay for squash season!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

My Mom used to make a bread with zucchini. It tasted similar to banana bread and it was really good.
She also used to make a casserole out of yellow squash, sorry no recipe. It was very rich. I think it had sour cream, carrots and croutons on top.

Would love to have one bite of each right now.

I like yellow squash raw sliced thinly with just a little salt and pepper. Like a chip.

Boring, perhaps, but yummy.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
The large zuches are perfect for doing zucchini bread. You must remove all of the seeds.

The wife and I eat squash all of the time. I bake mine in the oven.

I use a pyrex baking dish, sliced zucchini, yellow, and Mexican squash. Slice them thick for slow cooking, or thin if you are pressed for time. Grind up some dill, garlic, onion, rosemary, and thyme. Throw the slices in a plastic container with a lid, hit that with a dash of olive oil, throw your spices in, and shake the hell out of it to evenly coat the squash. Lay the slices in the pyrex, pour just a hit of milk or cream in there. Put a few pats of butter on top of that, 4-6 pats depending on the size of the pan. Bake it covered with foil at 350 for 30 or so minutes, slightly less if you like yours somewhat crisp. After that, pull off the top, and cover with grated cheese, I prefer the Mexican blend. Stick it back in long enough to get melty and delicious.

Salt and Pepper to taste, I don't cook with salt.

S+F, because. Squash!

edit on 29-8-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I've always loved zucchini breaded and fried.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I like Butternut squash. I just slice them down the middle, place then cut side down and bake, then add a bit of butter and brown sugar. mmmm
Fried zucchini! Slice thin- ish, then dip in a batter of egg, milk and corn meal, with a bit of salt added. Drop'em in the oil and cook till golden brown. I eat them like potato chips. Cook them in small batches, they get a bit soggy when they're cold and just don't have that crunch.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I've had an idea for a while, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I bought one of those vegette things.. (It makes noodles out of zucchini) I love it. I make zucch-zketty with it quite a bit.

What I want to try though, is use it to cut up some zucchini, squish those down into little patties, coat them in bread-crumbs or something of the sort. (It's hard for me to move away from corn meal when it comes to frying squash.) And make a zucchini hash-brown of sorts. I'm just not sure what to add to hold em together like I want.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Try a potato, onion, and zucchini latke. Grate those together, squish out excess liquid, add an egg, a tiny bit of flour, fry flattened handfuls in some oil in the frying pan ....
Serve with applesauce, sour cream, or ketchup. 😋

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The fall squash are the hearty meaty squash that hold up well to roasting.
I saw someone offered the classic baked acorn squash with brown sugar and butter. Yummy.
There's a lovely squash that is in this family.
The delicata squash. Beautiful dark green with white stripes and an apricot yellow flesh that is sweet and tender.

Roasted delicata squash

One or two delicata squash cut in half, seeds removed.
1 tsp chopped garlic
Sprig or two of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
Coarse salt and large grind or fresh ground pepper(were looking for texture) to taste.
Two Tbls butter. Tbls olive oil.
After removing seeds cut the squash into chunks. Leave skin on.
Melt butter and olive oil.
Season the squash with the garlic the thyme the s& p. Pour melted butter oil combination over. Toss to coat well.
Bake in a 400 degree oven 35 - 40 minutes. Or until the squash starts to brown.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Roasted butternut squash soup.

1 butternut squash.
1 small onion chopped fine
2 carrots chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
2 Tbls chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbls olive oil
1 can chicken broth or vegetable broth
Creme fresh

Cut butternut squash in half length wise sprinkle with oil salt and pepper.
Roast in 400 degree oven until tender and it is just beginning to brown . About 40 minutes.
Remove and cool

In stock pot put vegetables (except squash), parsley 1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper broth and enough water to cover.
Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer and cook about 15 or 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
Using an emulsion blender puree the vegetables in the broth. Add roasted squash and blend that into stock.
Strain through a wire sieve to remove fibers and obtain a smooth mixture.
Return to the pot and reduce over low heat until thick and bisque like.
Serve with a dollop of creme fresh.

If you don't have an emulsion blender transfer stock in batches to a regular blender.
If you don't have either this soup is a good reason to add one to your kitchen tools. A hand held emulsion blender is handy and inexpensive and can store in a drawer.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ooo with Apple! Good idea!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

That is classic good eating! What's thanksgiving without baked or steamed acorn squash.
Try with diet cola cinnamon and butter if you want a low carb version. Though these are higher in carbs then some veggies their fiber make them lower glycemic. Yay! Cut open add 1/4 c diet cola, 1/2 Tbls butter sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon. Bake in 350 oven about an hour. Until they collapse as you say. Season with salt and pepper.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Oh wow. Those big ones need seeding and are a bit less sweet than the baby ones.
You can still use them. Just cut them into smallish pieces.
Adding panko breadcrumbs and parmesan just before serving makes a nice side dish too. Adds crunch.

PS it's not getting dark yet but the days are beginning to shorten and the leaves are already losing their vibrant summer green. But I'm in Virginia and it will be hot here for another month.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

That sounds good too. I have a son who's vegan and I have tons of veggie recipes. Fall is so full of good choices.
I've done curried butternut squash with a coconut milk based sauce over sticky rice. OMG so rich. Lots of onions and some hot peppers. Watch out!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Yes they are! you are so right. Their texture adds to the bread texture.

So I'm looking for new squash ideas. I'm open to recipes . War stories too.

Hail the squashes.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Wow so many cooks. Yes fried is great. I add grated parmesan to a bread crumb mixture and dip sticks of zucchini in egg and roll them in the breadcrumb mixture. Fry till brown. Kosher salt adds even more crunch.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I make zucchini noodles with my vegetable peeler. I just keep slicing until the center gets too thin. I freeze the centers for soup or put into a salad.

Zucchini noodles with parmesan and balsamic vinegar salad.

Make zucchini noodles. You need block parmesan for this. Slice big pieces of the parm. Toss with the zucchini drizzle with olive oil balsamic and salt and pepper.
Great lunch or starter course.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join