It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany MAY start CONSCRIPTION?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

When I was in your country in 85 the police seemed WAY more militant and capable has that changed a great deal?
We were told if we were stopped on the Autobahn ,that one officer would ask for your license and the other would cover you with a submachine gun.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
That would be the "zoll" or "border customs". The carry submachine guns sometimes. But it´s not like they will point it at you or something. Some police cars have submachines in their trunk, but only some.

Yes the german police wants to treated with respect. If you give them that, you can get along very good with them. Even make some jokes. I even drove by the local police station when I noticed the local officer backing out of the parking spot. And noticed we´re both not wearing seatbelts (30km/h zone). He noticed too. A big smile, a nod and we were reaching for our belts. Okay, I know him personally so...

Generally, if you don´t play the clown...
I remember a friends son driven home from the cinema at night. Something hindered them from phoning home. The storie was like that the showed up one time, asking if everything is okay, they explained. Ten minutes later they drove by with a van and asked them if they need a ride home. 20km one way. Very nice of them!

About being capable, I don´t know but I know my sister did not pass the sports test. So if you see a fat policemen, he got fat during duty.
Generally, don´t mess with the bavarian police. They are a bit more... noosey and don´t understand jokes. Much worser, if you drive a car with a license not registered to bavaria.
edit on 29-8-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: PaddyInf
Now, that´s really funny. And factual wrong.

Which part was factually wrong? The bit about German conscription in WW2 or the bit about the German military having a negative impact on the rest of us at that time?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I was raised by an officer so I can be polite and always was to others in their country.
I know we Americans have that reputation.
I felt it would reflect badly on my family name not to.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Rotc is voluntary but people are doing often to get out of bad situations or from not having money to go to school.

I know in the US originally we were encouraged to be in local militias that were responsible for local defense. Similar to the swiss.

I have never seen formal studies on military competence and conscription but i have seen the effects of the wait for authorities mentality in floods, break ins etc.

In criminology as well one of the root causes is the criminal feeling completely disconnected from society. Like they dont care about me why should i care about the rules.

It certainly benifits society for people to be part of its creation. Civil service is a good way to bring a country together, network, learn new skills, and have trainingor education paid for rather than it be free without effort.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Only because "Germany" was not called "Germany" then. It was the "German Empire". "Empire" because there is no translation for "Reich". Big difference, but you can´t know that.

If you consider 1935 the early 1900, then okay, I´ll give you this.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
That´s nice to hear. The general consens in germany is that americans are loud, not unfriendly.
And I can attest to that. A bit more louder, yes. Unfriendly? No way

Ah the family name. Grew up in a small town, I guess

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Yep and LOST Dad at 14.
It cause me to have old fashioned social values from the 50s.
We are loud.
I know we are.
It's that EGO thing.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I´m sorry to hear that.
One of my best friends was the son of an american soldier stationed in Crailsheim, we lost contact when he moved back to the US. His wife was from here, he teached me all the computer stuff back then.
Great times.
Don´t get me wrong about americans being loud, I´m sure not everyone and I´m sure we germans have enough other traits ^^

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

[...]
Don´t get me wrong about americans being loud, I´m sure not everyone and I´m sure we germans have enough other traits ^^

There are a couple of vids on youtube made by americans who either lived here for a period of time or traveled to Germany on a regular basis. Fun to watch and you will probably recognize a few 'German traits', although some seem to applay to certain regions only.

Here's a rather funny one: Wanted Adventure

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: MrSpad
a reply to: projectvxn

Other countries do it, and it seems to work just fine.

And when war breaks out we institute a draft anyway. So when the chips are down and the troops are really needed we call on conscripts to 'be' the modern professional fighting force we need.

Even among volunteers there are some who fit in the service very well and some who don't. They aren't rejected often, but rather forged into soldiers. When you are there - you are a soldier. When you leave - you become who or whatever you want to be. It is your choice. But while you wear the uniform you are a soldier. I did my time in the military. I remember looking around in boot camp thinking, "Some of these guys aren't going to make it." They made fine soldiers.

No country that can afford it uses conscripts anymore unless they suffer sever manpower shortages like Israel. Russia has been trying for decades to dump conscription but they do not have the money to pay for a professional force and get volunteers. If you ever worked with conscripts from other nations you can tell the difference. Conscripts are from a different age of warfare, like militias and city walls.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Yes but a limited form of conscription were a family member of politicians, foreign policy advisors and Directors of defence contractors would be a bloody brilliant deterant for pointless foreign wars

Keep it 99.99% proffesional with a few hostages amoung them!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

There is no reason aptitude cant be judged and conscripts who dont care moved to national guard, army corp of engineers, red cross, and a myriad of other civil services.

The point is having people trained to deal with all kinds of events including natural disasters. Look at the difference in how farmers in the mid west deal with floods vs most of the general public.

Umotivated conscripts dont need to be alongside people who are better apt at fighting. Just like the guy from the mailroom isnt made a ceo unless he works his butt off and does whats necesary to get there.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Sirrurg

Yes, I know, thank you for bringing it up

I subscribed to a friend of her, he´s called SamWaltonMan

I like how he calls our Rolladen "blast shields" ^^, and how he sometimes struggles making food

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Only because "Germany" was not called "Germany" then. It was the "German Empire". "Empire" because there is no translation for "Reich". Big difference, but you can´t know that.

If you consider 1935 the early 1900, then okay, I´ll give you this.

It was still commonly referred to as Germany though, in the same way Britain was the British Empire until 1997 but was commonly referred to a Britain.

As for conscription, it was also used by "The German Empire" in WW1. Indeed many people were jailed or put into asylums for failing to undertake their military duties (there was no German system for conscientious objectors). source

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I think they should do it in the US too. It could be the shortcut to citizenship our leaders seem to be looking for. Serve in the military and show your respect for our nation and our way of life and earn your citizenship. Although, I question the wisdom of handing a bunch of refugees rifles and teaching them how to shoot...

Funny you should say that, someone I know who is a ex para who went on to join the Foreign legion when his unit was disbanded stated the same thing for people wanting to come into Europe...

Very doubtful that many migrants of working age would bother with that route from what I have witnessed in London??. Shame as it would give you a identity, you would learn the culture and language plus you would be respected as you have given something to the country, you would also learn skills that would turn you from a zero to very low skilled worker to someone that would most likely be in demand..

But why bother when you can just plead ignorance and do things the illegal way..

RA

Gaining citizenship through serving in the armed forces is a great move. I had a lot of friends in the US Army who were from Iran and also countries like Brazil, who were serving too and were able to gain citizenship.
Unfortunately the majority of Islamic refugees have no respect for their host countries so this would be the last thing they would think of. Nor would I trust them with anything like an automatic rifle and even a Secret clearance...

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You´re right about that, I was a bit nitpicking, I noticed.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

No dramas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join