It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama needs to call a National emergency on violence in Chicago

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Edumakated

I know...Its no easy solutions

The point I was making is that there aren't many innocents in that they are harboring and encouraging the individuals that wreck havoc on the community.

We had a couple of cases here in Chicago where small children were killed due to their parents were gang banging. Yes, the child is innocent, but the parents aren't necessarily clean.

I think the solutions have to come from within the community. Until the community is willing to riot over the daily killings like we do over the one off police killings then nothing will change.

The solutions will take time. The first step is reducing the out of wedlock birth rate imho. All the other issues stem from the broken family. Two parent homes are less likely to be in poverty which solves 90% of the issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The point I was making is that there aren't many innocents in that they are harboring and encouraging the individuals that wreck havoc on the community.

We had a couple of cases here in Chicago where small children were killed due to their parents were gang banging. Yes, the child is innocent, but the parents aren't necessarily clean.

I think the solutions have to come from within the community. Until the community is willing to riot over the daily killings like we do over the one off police killings then nothing will change.

The solutions will take time. The first step is reducing the out of wedlock birth rate imho. All the other issues stem from the broken family. Two parent homes are less likely to be in poverty which solves 90% of the issue.

Much of the problem stems from Government handouts. There's almost as many of them under Obama as there are scandals surrounding the crook seeking to replace him.

As the Welfare giveaways increased and expanded, so did Black-on-Black crime.

The month of August 2015 was the most violent month in Chicago in 20 Years. Not months.. YEARS!
Source: www.chicagotribune.com...

Thanks Obama!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Edumakated

Much of the problem stems from Government handouts. There's almost as many of them under Obama as there are scandals surrounding the crook seeking to replace him.

As the Welfare giveaways increased and expanded, so did Black-on-Black crime.

The month of August 2015 was the most violent month in Chicago in 20 Years. Not months.. YEARS!
Source: www.chicagotribune.com...

Thanks Obama!

It is the fallout from all the BLM protests...

The police aren't proactively policing... No one wants to be the next guy thrown under a bus for trying to arrest a thug.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Just found out a senior at my community's high school was gunned down last night... Just 16 years old. He was to turn 17 today. He apparently was with a 15 year old friend who was also wounded last night in Austin (one of the neighborhoods in Chicago where a lot of the shootings occur). Someone just walked up on them and started shooting. He is now one of the statistics in the Chicago shootings.

There won't be any BLM protests. Some bojangling pro-athlete won't refuse to stand during the national anthem in his honor. You won't see any buck dancing actors making drawn out speeches at an awards show. You definitely won't see any minstrel rappers dedicating a verse.

Whatever... just another dead black guy in the street at the hands of another. Probably over mistaken identity or someone got dissed on Facebook / Twitter.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I love how you 'snip' make it a left vs right or Democrat vs Conservative thing, because you've been brainwashed to think that one side is better than the other. It's just not true.

What is true? New York is bigger with more people and a true Democrat stronghold yet gun violence there is less than Chicago? New York has very strict gun Control laws. So it's not a gun control, Democrat problem.

You guys watch and listen to too much propaganda radio and TV. It's rotting your brains. If you think Bill Maher or Sean Hannity have your best interests at heart you're dead wrong.

And how about this little nugget of Wisdom. The worse the economic conditions in any area or state or country, the more crime and drug use go up. Interesting.
edit on 1-9-2016 by DrumsRfun because: snipped namecalling

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I love how you 'snipped' make it a left vs right or Democrat vs Conservative thing, because you've been brainwashed to think that one side is better than the other. It's just not true.

What is true? New York is bigger with more people and a true Democrat stronghold yet gun violence there is less than Chicago? New York has very strict gun Control laws. So it's not a gun control, Democrat problem.

You guys watch and listen to too much propaganda radio and TV. It's rotting your brains. If you think Bill Maher or Sean Hannity have your best interests at heart you're dead wrong.

And how about this little nugget of Wisdom. The worse the economic conditions in any area or state or country, the more crime and drug use go up. Interesting.

First of all, your opening statement is a violation of the T&C's. You begin by losing credibility. Nicely done.

Your example of New York is exactly why this is a democrat/gun control problem. New York may be a democrat stronghold, but you will be hard pressed to find a more corrupt democrat regime than Chicago. New York, Chicago, D.C., and many other cities, share a few things in common as you pointed out: strict gun laws, high crime rates, high rates of poverty, high rates of drug use, etc.

No city is immune to these things. But it is in democrat strongholds, as you put it, that these things become the norm. You attempt to redirect the blame for criminal acts toward poverty but that is disingenuous. Many people find themselves impoverished at some point in there lives but not all resort to drug abuse and crime. Were it not for the failed democrat policies, and the democrats desire to keep these people in need with their hand out, they may have improved their quality of life and freed themselves from the democrat stranglehold of hand outs for votes.
edit on 1-9-2016 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I love how you 'snipped' make it a left vs right or Democrat vs Conservative thing, because you've been brainwashed to think that one side is better than the other. It's just not true.

First of all, your opening statement is a violation of the T&C's. You begin by losing credibility. Nicely done.

Your example of New York is exactly why this is a democrat/gun control problem. New York may be a democrat stronghold, but you will be hard pressed to find a more corrupt democrat regime than Chicago. New York, Chicago, D.C., and many other cities, share a few things in common as you pointed out: strict gun laws, high crime rates, high rates of poverty, high rates of drug use, etc.

No city is immune to these things. But it is in democrat strongholds, as you put it, that these things become the norm. You attempt to redirect the blame for criminal acts toward poverty but that is disingenuous. Many people find themselves impoverished at some point in there lives but not all resort to drug abuse and crime. Were it not for the failed democrat policies, and the democrats desire to keep these people in need with their hand out, they may have improved their quality of life and freed themselves from the democrat stranglehold of hand outs for votes.

You still miss the point. You keep going back to democrat strongholds...I'm very pro gun, but I realize that's not the issue.

Let's go back to New York City which is just as Democrat controlled as Chicago and bigger. Why is there less gun violence? There you will find the answers. You mention corruption. You're spot on, but it's not a liberal thing to be corrupt, there is just as much corruption by Conservatives. So instead of trying to spin as a left vs right thing again, why don't you just target Corruption?

Historical statistics don't lie. High poverty, bad economies always produce more crime. I'm not saying that there is no way out of poverty, i'm just stating a fact.

Wondering why you're deflecting from the issues and talking about Democratic corruption but not talking about why new york democrats and maybe less corrupt? What's your thinking there? Also wondering why you don't acknowledge that the economy always dictates crime rates and drug use rates?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

You still miss the point. You keep going back to democrat strongholds...I'm very pro gun, but I realize that's not the issue.

Let's go back to New York City which is just as Democrat controlled as Chicago and bigger. Why is there less gun violence? There you will find the answers. You mention corruption. You're spot on, but it's not a liberal thing to be corrupt, there is just as much corruption by Conservatives. So instead of trying to spin as a left vs right thing again, why don't you just target Corruption?

Historical statistics don't lie. High poverty, bad economies always produce more crime. I'm not saying that there is no way out of poverty, i'm just stating a fact.

Wondering why you're deflecting from the issues and talking about Democratic corruption but not talking about why new york democrats and maybe less corrupt? What's your thinking there? Also wondering why you don't acknowledge that the economy always dictates crime rates and drug use rates?

Sorry, but you are the one missing the point, and badly.

Why focus on one city? Because it is the one that supports your conclusion? Lets take a look at a whole bunch of cities all across the country. For example, according to FBI crime statistics (2014) the cities with the highest violent crime rate were:

Detroit, Michigan
Memphis, Tennessee
Oakland, California
St. Louis, Missouri
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Baltimore, Maryland
Cleveland, Ohio
Stockton, California
Indianapolis, Indiana
Kansas City, Missouri

The country’s largest cities? Chicago had the highest violent crime rate at 884.26 violent crimes per capita. New York City had a rate of 596.7 and Los Angeles had a rate of 490.71.

How many of them are run by democrats? All of them.

But that is violent crime. What about just murder?

St. Louis, Missouri
Detroit, Michigan
New Orleans, Louisiana
Baltimore, Maryland
Newark, New Jersey
Buffalo, New York
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Memphis, Tennessee
Atlanta, Georgia
Cincinati, Ohio

Chicago had a murder rate of 15.09, New York had a rate of 3.93 and Los Angeles had a rate of 6.66.

Still run by democrats.

You need to address the issue - cities run by democrats have higher crime rates than cities run by republicans. If that were not the case somewhere in the top ten to fifteen in each category there would be at least one city run by a republican, but there isn't. It is a left/right thing. And the left is where the problems are. (I know, this is where you deflect and say the right has problems too, like you did with corruption - see below)

Of course both sides are capable of corruption - not worth saying. But we aren't talking about party capacity for corruption, we are talking specifically about democrats using corrupt measures to maintain the status quo - one that is detrimental to its own constituents. It would seem to me that that is far more an issue than whether new york managed to squeak briefly by chicago in the statistical arena.

These statistics, and many many more, are available any time. If you look hard enough I am sure you can find a year and a statistic that supports your opinion. But overall, the issue of whether cities run by democrats have higher incidents of crime and poverty than cities run by republicans, the answer is clear.

link
edit on 1-9-2016 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY
White privilege is a real thing and has been studied for decades. The poor communities, including black communities, are disadvantaged. Particularly blacks are disadvantaged because of a string of advantages whites have. There's some hidden discrimination too. Business don't treat black applications the same. Universities don't. Police don't treat them the same. This is all on top of blacks having a higher poverty rate than whites and suffering a history of oppression.

I'm not saying every white person is unknowingly discriminating against blacks. The whole point of white privilege is it's not loud obnoxious racism. It's things in the background which give whites advantages.

I do think some of this is tied to the fact the black population is about 13% nationally. In some states it's lower htan 3%. I think this is--in part--something majorities do to minorities. It's not just about race. Mob rules. People can display their worst behavior when they're part of the mob becuase they feel immune to attack.

en.wikipedia.org - White privilege...

...Cory Weinburg, writing for Inside Higher Ed, has stated that the concept of white privilege is frequently misinterpreted by non-academics because it is an academic concept that has been recently been brought into the mainstream. Academics interviewed by Weinburg, who have been otherwise studying white privilege undisturbed for decades, have been taken aback with the seemingly-sudden hostility from right-wing critics since 2014.[13]

edit on 9/1/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Sorry, but you are the one missing the point, and badly.

Why focus on one city? Because it is the one that supports your conclusion? Lets take a look at a whole bunch of cities all across the country. For example, according to FBI crime statistics (2014) the cities with the highest violent crime rate were:

Detroit, Michigan
Memphis, Tennessee
Oakland, California
St. Louis, Missouri
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Baltimore, Maryland
Cleveland, Ohio
Stockton, California
Indianapolis, Indiana
Kansas City, Missouri

The country’s largest cities? Chicago had the highest violent crime rate at 884.26 violent crimes per capita. New York City had a rate of 596.7 and Los Angeles had a rate of 490.71.

How many of them are run by democrats? All of them.

But that is violent crime. What about just murder?

St. Louis, Missouri
Detroit, Michigan
New Orleans, Louisiana
Baltimore, Maryland
Newark, New Jersey
Buffalo, New York
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Memphis, Tennessee
Atlanta, Georgia
Cincinati, Ohio

Chicago had a murder rate of 15.09, New York had a rate of 3.93 and Los Angeles had a rate of 6.66.

Still run by democrats.

You need to address the issue - cities run by democrats have higher crime rates than cities run by republicans. If that were not the case somewhere in the top ten to fifteen in each category there would be at least one city run by a republican, but there isn't. It is a left/right thing. And the left is where the problems are. (I know, this is where you deflect and say the right has problems too, like you did with corruption - see below)

Of course both sides are capable of corruption - not worth saying. But we aren't talking about party capacity for corruption, we are talking specifically about democrats using corrupt measures to maintain the status quo - one that is detrimental to its own constituents. It would seem to me that that is far more an issue than whether new york managed to squeak briefly by chicago in the statistical arena.

These statistics, and many many more, are available any time. If you look hard enough I am sure you can find a year and a statistic that supports your opinion. But overall, the issue of whether cities run by democrats have higher incidents of crime and poverty than cities run by republicans, the answer is clear.

link

I'm not doubting your numbers but again. What's your point? Is that a city run by democrats will always have more murders? is it a problem only pertaining to gun control or is it a different issue? We should be looking at the causes. You can't just say because democrats run it...you need to say what that specific policy is that causes this violence. I dont' have all the answers, but I used New York as a comparison to show that it's not a democrat thing it has to be some specific policies taht make the difference. That's where we should be looking. What policies are or are not working...the key is the differences in the cities. Not just New york but other cities with large populations that have less crime. What is that difference.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Not just New york but other cities with large populations that have less crime. What is that difference.

I thought that was abundantly clear. Democrats are the problem. The reason democrats are the problem is because they continually pursue the same failed solution over and over again thinking they will get different results. The cities on that list, the cities with the highest incident of violent crime, including murder, are all run by democrats. It is democrat policy that made those cities what they are today. The democrat answer to the problem is to attack the tools people use rather than the people who use them. It doesn't work. If you passed 100 laws today banning every type of firearm known to man, tomorrow there would be just as many illegal guns in Chicago as there are today, maybe more. Why? Because the only people who will abide by those laws are, by definition, the law abiding citizens. They are not the ones running wild, shooting each other in the streets. Those are the criminals. They break the law. That is why we call them criminals.

Think about it. If laws stopped crime, there would be no crime. Laws do not stop people from doing things. It only gives you a reason to prosecute them afterward. All democrats want to do is pass more laws and violate the second amendment. Or, put another way, all democrats want to do is put more people in jail. And if poverty is responsible as you say it is, then the statement should be amended to: democrats want to put more poor people in jail. The sad part is, these are the same people they depend on for re-election. And these people still vote for them...over and over again...even though nothing ever gets better for them. That is the democrat stranglehold I am talking about. And if people are starting to get smarter and start voting against the democrats, look what happens in Chicago - redistricting, and dead people voting. That is the corruption I am talking about. The solution to this is not to make a certain type of rifle, or an action mechanism, illegal.

Those statistics cite ten to fifteen cities all across this nation from Maryland to California and they all have something in common. They are all run by democrats and they have the highest violent crime/murder rate in the country. How can you look at that and suggest it is not a right/left thing? It obviously is. And the answer is clearly not to be found on the left.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I am not dismissing it. It just gets broad brushed often as the cause for everything. Statistically that's impossible.

Can it be one factor among numerous facing folks in Chicago or elsewhere? Absolutely. Like most cause and affect, it's all multivariate. To form some kind of solution, the dilemma needs to be addressed in totality.

Instead what I find in my day to day discussions with people is their refusal to accept this. Instead, it's someone's fault. Period. If X did not happen, we would not have Y. And if you do not agree, you are some sort of -ist. All the while the morgue fills up, they offer nothing of value, and I am knee deep in their virtue signaling.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I wouldn't miss them.
2nd line.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I love how you 'snip' make it a left vs right or Democrat vs Conservative thing, because you've been brainwashed to think that one side is better than the other. It's just not true.

But it is a gun control problem you don't see the high numbers of shooting anyplace in the US where its easy to get a CCW permit.
Just look at Texas or AZ.
Guns are easy to get but so is a CCW permit and the criminal are not near as brazen because they are scared of getting shot by there victims.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Again...all you keep saying is democrats are to blame and then you say democratic policies are the blame. But you don't say anything else.

I'll lay it out even more for you.

More violence always relates to economic conditions. One key difference between Chicago and New York is the way poverty is concentrated in certain areas/neighborhoods, it creates a culture on the street where violence becomes endemic and concentrated and creates a cycle of violence that is hard to break. New York has an advantage of being less segregated by wealth and economics. That's the big key.

The second key is that how did New York reduce crime. It happened during Guliano's watch, but really it had to do with his police commissioner( I forget his name) and buying into the Broken Window theory. That was the start.

I'm a big believer in the right to bear arms, and own guns, but I'm also smart enough to realize that that isn't what causes crime to go up or down.

You should do some research and stop parroting talk radio. You could learn a lot.
edit on 2-9-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Look, I've said this before, and I'll say this again: This is a multi-faceted issue that needs to be attacked from lots of angles. It will take help on all levels, but it WILL NOT work unless a significant portion of the people who live in these areas want to help themselves every bit as much as anyone else wants to help them.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Again...all you keep saying is democrats are to blame and then you say democratic policies are the blame. But you don't say anything else.

More violence always relates to economic conditions. One key difference between Chicago and New York is the way poverty is concentrated in certain areas/neighborhoods, it creates a culture on the street where violence becomes endemic and concentrated and creates a cycle of violence that is hard to break. New York has an advantage of being less segregated by wealth and economics. That's the big key.

The second key is that how did New York reduce crime. It happened during Guliano's watch, but really it had to do with his police commissioner( I forget his name) and buying into the Broken Window theory. That was the start.

I'm a big believer in the right to bear arms, and own guns, but I'm also smart enough to realize that that isn't what causes crime to go up or down.

You should do some research and stop parroting talk radio. You could learn a lot.

This is the last time I am going to respond to you - you obviously don't get it.

It is democrats, and by extension democrat policies which are (spoiler alert) enacted by democrats...

It is these policies that are responsible for the failure to resolve the issue by misdirecting valuable resources and efforts toward ineffective solutions such as more gun control. It is also these democrat policies that create poverty on a grand scale and maintain it.

I have done my research. I showed you statistics that support my conclusions. You haven't provided anything but the same rhetoric over and over again. You offer no solutions, only disagreement over the cause. And you ignore the statistics to do so. This is a left/right issue. The cities impacted the most by violent crime are all run by democrats. It is the policies of the democrats that create the poverty and drive the crime rates. I never said poverty wasn't part of the problem. But I blame the democrats and their failed policies for the poverty as well as the misdirected efforts at solving the problem.

My research and understanding, as well as living in Chicago for the greater majority of my life, have led me to a point where I can at least make a suggestion as to how to solve this problem. You haven't even done that...

I don't parrot talk radio - talk radio parrots me.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

This is the last time I am going to respond to you - you obviously don't get it.

It is democrats, and by extension democrat policies which are (spoiler alert) enacted by democrats...

It is these policies that are responsible for the failure to resolve the issue by misdirecting valuable resources and efforts toward ineffective solutions such as more gun control. It is also these democrat policies that create poverty on a grand scale and maintain it.

I have done my research. I showed you statistics that support my conclusions. You haven't provided anything but the same rhetoric over and over again. You offer no solutions, only disagreement over the cause. And you ignore the statistics to do so. This is a left/right issue. The cities impacted the most by violent crime are all run by democrats. It is the policies of the democrats that create the poverty and drive the crime rates. I never said poverty wasn't part of the problem. But I blame the democrats and their failed policies for the poverty as well as the misdirected efforts at solving the problem.

My research and understanding, as well as living in Chicago for the greater majority of my life, have led me to a point where I can at least make a suggestion as to how to solve this problem. You haven't even done that...

I don't parrot talk radio - talk radio parrots me.

You don't have to reply. But I did lay it out. Poverty and broken window theory and police department policies to start and how economic segregation is to play. Those are the keys. The only thing you've said is democrats are to blame and gun control. But that doesn't really say anything else. New York is very democratic but you don't say why those democrats are different than the democrats in Chicago. LOL It's also a key point that most big cities are more liberal than smaller cities and towns. Why is that? That's another key part of this discussion. To just say democrats are to blame and democratic polices without citing any of those policies isn't very intelligent. Besides Gun control, what democratic policies are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

You're so right. But how do you do that? How do you reduce the out-of-wedlock birth rate? What would be the process to stop THAT? Free birth control? They probably already have that. Free abortions. I'm sure they have that. Education about what causes babies? I'm sure they know what causes pregnancy by now after six or seven of them?

The fact of the matter is, one gets government welfare benefits, housing, food stamps, etc. when you are a poor single mother. Never mind that the dad or daddies come and go and live in the household. All the government "sees" is what is on paper....a single poor mother. Stopping out-of-wedlock births is probably impossible because of a lack of will on the part of the women.

How do you solve the issue of broken families? This is stuff you cannot legislate. Music, movies, TV, and their social media interactions encourage and glorify the rebellious, the violent, the disrespectful, the victimization meme. There was a time when having kids out of wedlock by multiple fathers was frowned upon by society. Now it is almost held up as a badge of honor to be called a single mom. There is no shame to get knocked up out of wedlock anymore. I'm not passing judgment, just saying'.

We can say all day long that their own community needs to do this and do that, but when that community in general does not WANT to, then we have a conundrum.

Then, couple that with the fact that there are non-profits getting government $$$ in grant money to service these populations. They might build a community after-school boxing arena, or set up some other minor "service" in some rundown storefront and call it a "drug and alcohol abuse counseling" service to show they are using their grant money for its purpose, but since salaries and administrative costs are allowed, most of the money probably goes into their pockets.

Corruption feeds it. Without these poverty-stricken criminally violent areas, some politicians, activists, and 501(c)3's, and non-profit foundations would be out of business.

Go back to a time when there was much much less violence in these kinds of inner cities and evaluate what was different. Then let's have an honest conversation about what has changed to cause this degradation.

edit on 3-9-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
September 7, 2016

Calling out the National Guard is too humane. I just watched this video on the Chicago 9 O'clock news.
Clip: www.chicagotribune.com...

Yesterday, this elderly homeowner was simply watering his tree-lawn, when 2 thugs on bicycles doubled back on the sidewalk, with one beating the crap out of the guy, shooting him in the stomach, and robbing him.

When these guys are caught, the one who committed the act needs to be publically punished. What's the best way to punish someone publically? Doing so will reduce thug-related crimes far more than the National Guard can.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join