It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom loses an engine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
In another blow to the LCS program, one of the two main diesel engines on USS Freedom has suffered so much damage that at the least will require stripping it down and totally rebuilding it. This makes three times since December that a Freedom class ship has lost propulsion. USS Milwaukee lost both engines while transiting to her new home port, and required a tow into port. USS Fort Worth, on a long term deployment in the Pacific, spent months in Singapore undergoing repairs to one of her engines.

Personnel on Freedom noticed sea water dripping into the bilge from a sea water pump seal. The seal was plugged, and water went into the oil system. After returning to port in July, they decontaminated the oil system, and sailed to Hawaii for a week of operations for RIMPAC. Upon returning and examining the engine, so many parts were discovered to have been damaged by seawater and rust that the only option is to remove it and either rebuild it or replace it. The Navy has yet to make a decision on which way to go.

www.defensenews.com...
edit on 8/28/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They need to put masts and sails on those useless barges...

It's been what, almost seven years? ...and they're still buggier than a compost pile.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The Freedom class has been a disaster from the word go. They were planning to downselect one of them, but of course that was rejected. I'm waiting for them to be told they're doubling the order.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I remember watching the program on the History channel...and being less than impressed by them.

They showed some of the minor bugs, but in at least one scene, in the background you could see a real problem, no idea what, crop up. The way the crew was scrambling it had to have been rather serious...amazed that that made to the final cut, given the tone of the show. Very pro for the program.

Everything I've read points to a fiasco. There are six of 'em now, aren't there? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

What drives me nuts about this, is that the idea behind LCS type vessels is sound. But it can only work in the long run, if ships put to sea with that purpose in mind, are actually reliable.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
What the HELL is going on with damn Navy.
ALUMINUM hulls?
They'd best rush the new whizbang systems out before china pops.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Time to retrofit with a Lockheed CFR!

Saw some designed autonomous ship using a nuclear fusion reactor (the LM T-4) for propulsion.

Eventualy it will happen. But when 😮

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The thinking is spot on. The "making it work"? Not so much. There should be some careers crashing and burning, but "ring knockers unite" will be a common theme.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

The Independence Class has been great. They came out and started going and have rarely looked back. It's a neat looking ship too.

Currently there is Freedom, Fort Worth, and Milwaukee. Detroit, Little Rock, and Sioux City are fitting out and have yet to be commissioned, but are in the water.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Not just ring knockers. Congress is going to fight them removing one class tooth and nail.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I forgot that there were two of 'em...differing remarkably. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I've caught two Independence Class boats in the yard under construction before they hit the water. They're building them in Mobile. Another was in the hangar where they assemble the hull sections.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

US is now making Chinese quality.

Chinese are starting to make Western (or former Western) quality.

All around the USA, large engineering projects, civil and military see more delays, corruption, over-expenditure and under-capability than before. in the 40's through 60's and even 70's, the USA could build the heck out of stuff. What is happening now? Too much capitalism? (i.e. shareholder profits over all?)

link   

All around the USA, large engineering projects, civil and military see more delays, corruption, over-expenditure and under-capability than before. in the 40's through 60's and even 70's, the USA could build the heck out of stuff. What is happening now? Too much capitalism? (i.e. shareholder profits over all?)

link   

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
USS Coronado returned to Hawaii after losing propulsion in the middle of the Pacific.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

"Here's how we fix it and save our jobs...Increase the order...Commit to several more, WAY more, we'll then divert early payments into figuring out what the heck is going on and completely redesigning if we have to. With so many more on order, we can reclassify the first two as "Technology Demonstrators", that will cover the activity of engineers and cutting torches climbing all over them and explain the ever present Tug-boats every time they leave port. We're saved boys!!"

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Probably closer to the truth than they'd ever admit to.

This more than vaguely resembles the Bradley FV fiasco back in the day.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The Navy has ordered a stand down of all LCS operations and engineering retraining.

www.defensenews.com...

<<   2 >>

join