It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Breathe Review *Spoilers*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
this review has spoilers

Rocky (Jane Levy), Alex and Money are three Detroit thieves who get their kicks by breaking into the houses of wealthy people. Money gets word about a blind veteran who won a major cash settlement following the death of his only child. Figuring he's an easy target, the trio invades the man's secluded home in an abandoned neighborhood. Finding themselves trapped inside, the young intruders must fight for their lives after making a shocking discovery about their supposedly helpless victim.

-link

I saw this movie last night and am incredibly impressed and disturbed, but also left a little unsatisfied. For a horror/thriller? This definitely did the job. 10/10 on that.

The movie has 3 pretty basic characters that are as deep as they can be in a horror movie, though deeper and well played than most. They all have a reason to be where they are, doing what they're doing. They decide to break into a blind veterans house to steal either $300,000 or $500,000 (my hands were covering my ears for most of the movie so I didn't catch that
). They make mistakes, the shallowest of all four main characters (including the Blind Man) gets shot with his own gun and the hide and go seek starts.

Money (Daniel Zovatto) was my least favorite character for sure, but his part was necessary and Daniel's acting was great.
Alex (Dylan Minnette) seems to be shot at least 3 times before it catches up with him. The movie also hints that he and his father might be close, but he's alone often enough to break and enter into his fathers clients houses and steal their valuables.
Rocky (Jane Levy) was a disappointing character/actress at times... Her best scenes were when she wasn't acting like a desperate thug, which thankfully wasn't most of the movie. She was great at kicking ass and being a good older sister

The Blind Man.... (Stephen Lang) GREAT ACTOR. GREAT CHARACTER. Took that turkey baster to the throat like a champ. Had me fooled way too many times, acting weak or like he had given up only to go after everyone 10x harder. He was a creepy f__cking character. Locking his daughters killer and making her carry his child to replace the one she killed...? Then repeating that with Rocky?? (TRYING to). Disgusting. Disturbing. Amazing.

Major issues with this movie:

1. -Did no one notice the girl that accidentally killed his daughter was missing? Long enough to start showing her pregnant stomach?
  2. -If someone DID notice her missing, did they not suspect him?? Even though she was responsible for his daughters sudden death?
  3. -Is the Blind Man supposed to be a metahuman? Why does he seem to have Daredevil level hearing / smell?
  4. -And does this man never do laundry? Why does the sound of the laundry machine bring him to his knees? The alarm is understandable, but???
  5. -Why, after everything is said and done, is this man still #1 ALIVE and #2 being covered for? He has at least 3 dead bodies in his home... One has been shot to death and would be showing some signs of a struggle... One of them has been shot multiple times, at least an hour after the first person dies, and has been beaten severely... And the third is underground, submerged in ???, PREGNANT WITH HIS CHILD VIA ARTIFICIAL INSEMINATION, THE MURDERER OF HIS DAUGHTER WHO HAS BEEN MISSING FOR X ABOUT OF TIME......
  6. -He gets away with it???

As a horror/thriller, this movie did the job. I was shaking, jumping, covering my eyes and ears, cheering for the dog to survive and will not regret seeing this movie. It has it's faults, but all in all it was pretty damn scary.

edit on 27-8-2016 by oblivvious because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2016 by oblivvious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the review
Although I won't be watching it now lol. I can't handle stuff with sex slavery (I know it's artificial insemination, still kinda the same thing for me).

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

It was definitely enough to make my jaw drop, and even the stranger next to me had his hand over his mouth. I'm assuming not many people were warned about that part of the movie.... The two girls were all strapped up - fully clothed - but just. what he does. horrible.

new topics

join