It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism just an Antichristian Religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: skynet2015
Recently, I have observed a cascade of self proclaimed atheists wage war with Christians. It is a militant level of obsession befitting the title "militant atheism", however, there seems to be something distinctly absent. If one speaks of buddhism, or taoism, or hinduism, or islam, the same self proclaimed atheists have nothing to say. They become quiet as church mice. Except, this isn't entirely true...

For myself, I speak on things I am familiar with. In my case that would be Christianity and Abrahamic religions. It doesn't mean I have less disdain for the other. A lot of the other religions are different. Some I respect more than others, sure. I have no doubt they all have ideologies I wouldn't agree with and blood on their hands.

Actually, what happens, is they will talk even MORE about Jesus, the Pope, or Christians. "What about Buddha?" you might ask. They will respond with a tirade against Jesus. "What about Muhammad?" they respond with a video of cups labeled Jesus and Science, and Science chemicals turning Jesus wine into "water". "What about Shiva?" They then follow up with a rant about how stupid Christians are and how the Apostles didn't even have Jewish names.

Some may do that. Not this guy though!

Atheism is supposed to be non-religion. Not Anti-[specific religion to the exclusionary pass for all others]

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. Some atheists are also anti-theist. In which case, from the Christian perspective, they are anti-Christs. I myself am not completely anti-theist. But enough so that I will accept an anti-Christ label. Why not? Half the fun is rocking the boat.

My opinion is to free them from their shackles.
edit on 8-27-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

What kind of 'god' condemns a moral person who has lived an honorable life if they don't believe the exact right kind of stuff? Or if they were born in a place where this belief system has not taken hold?

It even contradicts sheep and goats parable in their own scripture. Paul:s free ride is more important than to listen to Jesus teaching objective reasoning where fruits(what you do) matter, not who you say you follow or not.

I do believe in spiritual anointment. But that exists regardless of religion.
edit on 27-8-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: skynet2015

In my opinion, there are two types of atheist.

1.) The actual philosophical atheists who are rationally arrived at their state of disbelief and are comfortable with it. You can have rational discussions with them and they will be productive. As a Christian, I do not mind them.

2.) The militant brand atheists who strike me as less comfortable in their state of disbelief. They seem less like they truly disbelieve and more as if they are angry at either God or those who believe or both for either real or imagined slights in their life.

Imam: Because you do not believe in God does not mean God does not believe in - .

Riddick: Think someone could spend half their life in a slam with a horse bit in their mouth and not believe? Think he could start out in some liquor store trash bin with an umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and not believe? Got it all wrong, holy man. I absolutely believe in God... And I absolutely hate the f*****.
-Pitch Black

This bit from the movie about illustrates how I feel about where the militant crowd is at, and for this reason, they seek to take it all out on those who do believe.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Recently, I have observed a cascade of self proclaimed atheists wage war with Christians. It is a militant level of obsession befitting the title "militant atheism", however, there seems to be something distinctly absent. If one speaks of buddhism, or taoism, or hinduism, or islam, the same self proclaimed atheists have nothing to say. They become quiet as church mice. Except, this isn't entirely true...

~ Many atheists on this website were once christian.
~ Many more primarily know about christianity over other religions.
~ Most topics regarding religion here that aren't posted by Atheists are posted by christians
~ Most members on ATS are from countries where the most populated religion is Christianity
~ The most aggressively promoted religion in the US is Christianity, and i believe most of the members on ATS are from the US

Why is it a shock that the most talked about religion just happens to be the most popular one in the world, as well as the primary population of the USA, which is where most ATS members live?

Actually, what happens, is they will talk even MORE about Jesus, the Pope, or Christians. "What about Buddha?" you might ask. They will respond with a tirade against Jesus.

Odd, I've never done this and I have been asked about buddhism, Islam, hinduism, and so on, yet I'm an atheist. seems like your facts aren't accurate.

Atheism is supposed to be non-religion. Not Anti-[specific religion to the exclusionary pass for all others]

Atheism is non-religious. However, it is not a belief system. Atheists are free to believe in ghosts, they are free to believe in reincarnation, they are free to believe or reject the existence of aliens, they are free to accept or reject any science, and they are free to be accepting of religions and totally anti-religion.

I'm not sure what problem you're having with this concept?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There are militant and even violent people amongst most religions and philosophies. This should be apparent by now. Even people who live with an extreme philosopy of peace can lose their temper and lash out. I find it extremely amusing that christians can't stand it when one of the demographs that they used to treat brutally stands up against them. As if to say "how dare they point out how bruttally we used to treat them."

You do know that for thousands of years, plenty of christians, jews, and muslims, killed atheists in terrible ways. Even today they use it as an insult. We are the least trusted most hated demograph, but we are also the fastest growing, and this scares the hell out of christians because they know how they treat everyone else and they are afraid of falling into that position.

All we have been saying this entire time is "prove it". So.... Prove your god is real or shut the hell up. If you want new adherents to join in this day and age, you are going to have to deal with your history, and you are going to have to use some good science. But.... That won't happen. So you can't be taken seriously.

It's not that atheists hate religious people, it's just been a very long game of ring around the rosey. Now that we can speak up without being ostricised by our communities or even beheaded, or burned at stakes, you're going to have to bring some better responses or you're just going to be made fun of. You can stop it at any time with some solid proof for your claims. Simple. We will all convert when you do. I promise.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Atheism isn't anti-Christian. It's anti-God. That's why Buddhism works so well for atheists and agnostics. It isn't a religion. It's a philosophy. A way of life. Not God bound.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

He understands, he just hates atheists.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

And what do you think about militant christians? Do you speak out against them? Or only militant atheists?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

And what do you think about militant christians? Do you speak out against them? Or only militant atheists?

Oh Jeez(pun intended) a whiny atheist. It's all good. Crawl up on that cross with the Christians that think they are persecuted. Easier to point out all the hypocrites.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Raised very Southern Baptist, as I matured and studied the Bible and other religious books I came to the personal belief of "I have no idea." I'm not the kind of person to lie about it-I quit teaching Sunday School and Superintendent of Church school; even had long talks with my pastor who /I really admired.
I don't call myself an atheist-don't like placing easy names just to belong to a group-I am a I don't know. I don't.
And truthfully, I believe most people who do not accept religions are also just saying I don't know.
That's all I have to say. There's no proof of anything anywhere so what's to discuss?
I just don't talk about it except to those who know me or are open in discussion-it's too private.
I think just about all the I don't knows are very moralistic and that is a totally different subject.
edit on 27-8-2016 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

And you are exhibit A for the second type.

You and I are going to have a tough time discussing anything. Do you see how it all comes back to this being the fault of Christians from your point of view.

Christians can't handle it when someone else lashes out. This isn't what I said, but you made it be that.

Christians did horrible things. This discussion and my remarks are nothing about that except in that militant atheists are angry. You did nothing to dispel that. Congrats!

We understand you want proof, and I am sure that time and time again you have been told that faith is not a matter of concrete proof. However, we do not have to shut up anymore than you do.

And if atheists do not hate religious people, then your post does nothing at all to dispel that.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Atheism isn't anti-Christian. It's anti-God. That's why Buddhism works so well for atheists and agnostics. It isn't a religion. It's a philosophy. A way of life. Not God bound.

The thing that you guys forget is that being a philosophy, there are things within Buddhism that are not completely incompatible with Christianity either.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: intrepid

The thing that you guys forget is that being a philosophy, there are things within Buddhism that are not completely incompatible with Christianity either.

Christ had many excellent ideas when it comes to society. So?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

So if you're not going to roast the Buddhists who are good people, you might take a step off of us too.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: intrepid

So if you're not going to roast the Buddhists who are good people, you might take a step off of us too.

Or you could crawl off your cross and get with the rest of the world. Just a suggestion.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The difference between you and i is that i will change my beliefs in the face of convincing evidence. Still waiting.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian
Exactly! (and you have a wonderful avatar by the way)

There are an awful lot of sympathy-grabs from Christians on this site, and spurious claims of being persecuted (which is just not true unless these posters live in Syria or North Africa). But religions need to claim persecution or else their fantasy dissipates. It's easier to be the victim.

I've lived all over the world and never been proselytized by Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Shintoists. Just by many Christians, Scientologists, pagans. Some Muslims were upset that I didn't believe in God but in more of a "you're missing out" way, not "you're going to Hell".

Notice how atheists get blamed for all of Communism's crimes, yet how-dare-you blame Christianity for any of its crimes.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
of course it is. all the 'top' atheists are of the chozen persuasion.
they claim they are atheists, yet they denounce all the 'other' religions lol.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: skynet2015 Some atheists are satanists If they don't believe in anything why remove god from schools and the government? It is a great cover to destroy Christianity.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: maxzen2004
a reply to: skynet2015 Some atheists are satanists If they don't believe in anything why remove god from schools and the government? It is a great cover to destroy Christianity.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you actually believe what you just wrote

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join