It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports Of Bugs And Birds Nearly Gone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
There are plenty of bugs and critters in my neck of the woods.
Come to South Texas if you miss them.
I have an ant crawling on my leg and I don't even care enough to brush it off.
I don't even have to feed my cat this time of year.
She's fat and happy off the organic stuff.

edit on 27-8-2016 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Plenty of birds/mosquitoes here but I've been to some places near the west coast where I did not hear any insects at night and I did not hear birds in the morning. I thought it was weird. Thought maybe it was due to pesticides.

Here, they were spraying some sort of mosquito agent for West Nile and then the mosquitoes disappeared for a while. Now they are going to spray for Zika virus. They go around the neighborhood in trucks spraying the stuff into the open air.

I have noticed a decline in cicadas and other insects from past decades but things change, like bird populations and species has changed a lot where I live over the decades.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Oh yeah what does she eat?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Oh yeah what does she eat?
Rats, field mice, rabbits, birds, insects. Pretty much anything that's not trying to eat her. I toss her a treat here and there and give her clean water.
Come winter I'll fatten her up with hand outs.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Wow.. seen her eat a rabbit?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Wow.. seen her eat a rabbit?
Darn tootin'. Little cotton-tail.
Seen her eating a bat, too.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Nope. Central Texas is full of insects and birds. Everywhere, thick.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Wildlife of all kinds is thick where I'm at.

All the usual spiders. I rescued a walking stick off the windshield of my car yesterday morning. The cicadas are crazy loud from about mid-afternoon to all hours of the night. Crickets haven't picked up yet, but grasshoppers are everywhere. And when we opened up our house for a few days, we were inundated by mosquitoes.

The rally mantis is a "thing" in Kansas City, so praying mantises are going quite well here too.

Birds are doing well too. I watched some nuthatches playing on our sweet gum and the local woodpeckers are still around. All the usual regular suspects are there including cardinals, finches, sparrows, starlings, etc. Geese everywhere! There is a flock of wild turkeys roaming the woods alongside the highway. And for the last two days this week, we've had a turkey vulture decide that the mock balcony outside my boss's office window is the perfect perch from which to sun his wings and preen. He's been dubbed Dante.

I've seen coyotes and foxes, plenty of woodchucks, all kinds of deer. Keep in mind that I live in a major metropolitan where I see these.

And with winter the buzzards will be replaced by bald eagles who winter along the river.
edit on 28-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Sorry for the late reply been working too much..

That's great that your cat knows how to hunt and can feed herself. I don't think the cats in my neighborhood (on the outskirts of a city) know how to hunt. I feed a few cats in the neighborhood and when I bring them their food, they come running around me like they are starving. They're pretty skinny too. That, despite there being an abundant bird and squirrel population as well as cicadas and maybe other things critters. I think for the most part cats around here eat from the garbage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join