It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Caught 'Undead' Genes Coming Alive After Death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Is death the end of our existence? An eternal question that perhaps that may at least be partly answered in our genes. Nothing to do with the concept of the 'soul', not at this point anyhow.

Very interesting article over at Vice about what happens to us after we are dead.

motherboard.vice.com...

What really happens to us after death? Once a person stops breathing, and their heart ceases to pump blood, they’re what doctors consider “clinically dead.” On a biological level, the eventual decomposition of cells, organs, and brain tissue signal its final and irreversible stages.

But what if that’s not actually the end? Two new studies claim that hundreds of genes actually kept expressing—and, in some cases, become more active—after death occurred. This came as a surprise to the researchers, because forensic pathologists have long suspected that gene activity degrades postmortem, which is why their rate of change is sometimes used to calculate time of death.

But what if that’s not actually the end? Two new studies claim that hundreds of genes actually kept expressing—and, in some cases, become more active—after death occurred. This came as a surprise to the researchers, because forensic pathologists have long suspected that gene activity degrades postmortem, which is why their rate of change is sometimes used to calculate time of death.

One of the most surprising findings, however, was that hundreds of genes actually fired up—boosting their activity—within the first 24 hours after the animals had died. Noble suspects that many of them might have been suppressed or shut off by a network of other genes when their host was alive, and only after death were they free to “reawaken.”

So what exactly does this mean?

These quotes stood out as interesting to me.

The team also found that many of the genes that persisted postmortem are typically active during embryonic development, which led them to theorize that, on a cellular level, newly developing lifeforms might share a lot in common with degenerating corpses.

"Since our results show that the system has not reached equilibrium yet,” one of the studies broadly speculates, “it would be interesting to address the following question: what would happen if we arrested the process of dying by providing nutrients and oxygen to tissues? It might be possible for cells to revert back to life or take some interesting path to differentiating into something new or lose differentiation altogether, such as in cancer."

Perhaps this will eventually give us some insight into the very nature of life and death.

Is science actually approaching understanding the mechanism that enables life, free of religious and 'woo' interpretation?

Link to original article here.
edit on 26-8-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Means mother earth owns you!!!

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
And so we finally take the first stumbling step towards the cliff that is the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Coincidentally as part of my college homework I have to read Frankenstein. Frankenstein is now closer to reality.
edit on 8/26/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

Actually, no.

www.sciencemag.org...

Before you ask, microbiologist Peter Noble of the University of Washington, Seattle, and colleagues were not trying to find out what allows zombies to stalk Earth and slurp the brains of the unwary. Instead, the scientists wanted to test a new method they had developed for calibrating gene activity measurements.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Those cells are probably uploading our saved data state into the great universal database for recycling (rebirth).

edit on 26-8-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Mmmhmm, because science never has uncalculated consequences!

Cool article anyway.

One of the most surprising findings, however, was that hundreds of genes actually fired up—boosting their activity—within the first 24 hours after the animals had died. Noble suspects that many of them might have been suppressed or shut off by a network of other genes when their host was alive, and only after death were they free to “reawaken.”

Keep the meat fresh for as long as possible!

edit on 26-8-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

This is interesting as hell! S&F

Do they know what functions these genes perform, if any?

ETA: shoulda read it all instead of skimming...

Many of these postmortem genes are beneficial in emergencies; they perform tasks such as spurring inflammation, firing up the immune system, and counteracting stress. Other genes were more surprising. “What’s jaw-dropping is that developmental genes are turned on after death,” Noble says. These genes normally help sculpt the embryo, but they aren’t needed after birth. One possible explanation for their postmortem reawakening, the researchers say, is that cellular conditions in newly dead corpses resemble those in embryos. The team also found that several genes that promote cancer became more active. That result could explain why people who receive transplants from the recently deceased have a higher risk of cancer, Noble says. 

Fascinating.
edit on 26-8-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
And so we finally take the first stumbling step towards the cliff that is the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!

That was my first thought, too! Lol

A living, soul less being. Chills

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The human brain and its neural stem cells postmortem: from dead brains to live therapy.
Contrary to the traditional dogma of being a relatively invariable and quiescent organ lacking the capability to regenerate, there is now widespread evidence that the human brain harbors multipotent neural stem cells, possibly throughout senescence. These cells can divide and give rise to neuroectodermal progeny in vivo and are now regarded as powerful prospective candidates for repairing or enhancing the functional capability of neural tissue in trauma or diseases associated with degeneration or malperfusion. Hopes primarily rest upon techniques to either recruit endogenous stem cells or to utilize exogenous donor-derived material for transplantation. In the search for suitable human cell sources, embryonic, fetal, and adult stem cells appear highly controversial, as they are accompanied by various still-unresolved moral and legal challenges. Fascinatingly, however, recent reports indicate the successful isolation and expansion of viable neural stem cells from the rodent and human brain within a considerable postmortem interval, suggesting that postmortem neural stem cells could potentially become an acceptable alternative cellular resource. This article will provide a brief overview about neural stem cells, their prominent features, and prospects for a cellular therapy, and will furthermore illuminate the cells in particular with respect to their newly discovered postmortem provenience, their advantage as a potential cell source, and several unfolding forensic considerations. Also, important ethical, social, and legal implications arising from this hitherto unpracticed cellular harvest of brain tissue from the deceased are outlined.

Brain Transplantation of Immortalized Human Neural Stem Cells Promotes Functional Recovery in Mouse Intracerebral Hemorrhage Stroke Model

A Biotech Company Is Trying To Wake Up The Brain After Death

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I will just say that this life is not the only life and I know this because before my existence I went an unknown length of time before entering this current consciousness.

Since I don't have memory before this life started I must assume there will be another life afterward because I will return to that "pre-born" state after I die. It just makes logical sense that if I started from nothing, and end with nothing, I will likely restart from nothing.

At least, that's my twisted logic and hope.
edit on 26-8-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Burn it. Burn them to hell! Every farmer gets a gun. Every civilian get hazmat suits. Storm them facilities now!

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Haven't we heard that cells go on dividing for a while after death? Hair and nails keep growing, certain enzymes are produced.

Its like a car sitting with the door open, the headlights on and the radio playing but no-one is in the drivers seat.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

fascinating thread. Need to research this. Seems many possibilities here and open to much speculations. Great find OP

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Haven't we heard that cells go on dividing for a while after death? Hair and nails keep growing,

You may have heard it, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Hair and fingernails continue to grow after death: This disturbing, gruesome image is pure "moonshine" according to forensic anthropologist William Maples, who was quoted in the BMJ study. However, he explained that dehydration of the body after death can cause retraction of the skin around hair and nails, giving the illusion that they have grown. All tissues require energy to sustain their functions, and no such thing is possible once the mechanism that promotes normal growth shuts down at death.

www.drweil.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This part is very interesting,

The team also found that many of the genes that persisted postmortem are typically active during embryonic development, which led them to theorize that, on a cellular level, newly developing lifeforms might share a lot in common with degenerating corpses

So these genes are active as we come into existence and when go out of existence?

What could their function be?

My first thoughts are of reincarnation.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

My first thoughts are of reincarnation.

Producing proteins which would be soon destroyed by bacterial action has something to do with reincarnation?

You should have a look at the source article linked in the OP.

edit on 8/27/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The body on death is still alive in respect of it goes through transition
Flesh breaks down to soil eventually
But the being is long gone by then

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

edit on 27-8-2016 by TheFlyOnTheWall because: I stand corrected

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well... I might as well get to work on my swordsman ship for the upcoming apocalypse. Worked for that samurai girl in walking dead.
edit on 27-8-2016 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join