It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATF Issues Warning of More IEDs in Trail Cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This popped up and just the thought of it has me shocked.
Lots to be careful of now while hiking in the woods, but IED's in trail cams? I'm speechless.

www.outdoorhub.com...

These IEDs were designed to explode when a person inserted batteries into the trail camera, while others were set to explode by a trip wire leading to the trail cameras.

The first IED explosion happened in May and authorities had been on the lookout since.

An investigation led to the arrest of Mark Sawaf, in June, after police discovered materials in Sawaf’s trash that were connected to an explosive device that previously injured a man.

Authorities searched his home after his arrest and found trail camera parts, wire, and other materials that were used in the making of the IEDs.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

A Big WTF? Why? What's the purpose? What's the mad reasoning behind doing something like this. WTF?
edit on 8 by AreUKiddingMe because: clarity

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Another source.

www.wbir.com...

HARLAN, KY. - The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) issued a public safety advisory concerning explosives concealed in trail cameras in Harlan County, Ky.

So far, three trail cameras have exploded and injured people. In an investigation, agents found nine more improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and dismantled them. However, they caution more devices may still exist.

Law enforcement found some of the trail cameras on paths in rural areas accessed via the Dave Smith Drainage Area, near the Woodland Hills subdivision, on the Little Black Mountain Spur.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

That was pretty much my initial reaction, along with great....now other wing-nuts will be doing this too.
Harlan County and Black Mountain are on the south east corner of Kentucky bordering on Virginia. Prime camping and hiking area.

Altho summer is almost over hunting season will be ramping up with plenty of unsuspecting folks roaming out there.
Shudders.

This is BAD, just 100% badness.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Pure insanity.. who in the actual hell would think of this?

Maybe it's a plot to "reduce the number of" gun owners in America since a lot of hunters would be affected by this. Just a thought *but then who inherits the dead hunter's gun?

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Is it people against hunters, so they decide to hunt people?

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

It would be wise for the ATF to secure the aid of someone proficient in the use of drone swarms, to map the locations of any and all trail cameras, so that as many as possible can be examined by EOD experts, to determine whether they are booby trapped or not.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Maybe somebody doesn´t want people to set up trail cams there, because they maybe could film something tzhey shouldn´t see? And people should think negativ about those trail cams?

If officials warn from something, i everytime become a tinfoil hat...

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Possibly booby traps for a marijuana grow site. Kentucky is known for the amounts grown, and lot's of idiots will endanger lives to protect profits.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I can tell you exactly why they're doing it.
Ginseng.
I'm from Hazard, Ky and down home, a lot of people make a living off hunting it and they will go to any length to protect their territory. There have been gun battles over 'seng patches that have been harvested over the years by the same people.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That is a very good possibility. Lot's of people here in WV also dig it.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JDHellraiser

For many families in the Appalachians, it's their only source of income. If that's what's going on, it won't surprise me at all.

You may very well be right also. Pot never entered my mind. It just went straight to "ginseng" when I read the story and where it happened.
edit on 26-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Thanks for chiming in!

I didn't even think of that, I was more worried that this will give all kind of whack-jobs ideas and more of this will happen randomly all over the woods. We're dealing with feral hogs for the first time ever, along with cougars the DEP refuses to acknowledge plus the usual "crazies".

I support the locals right to gather Ginseng, I'm aware outsiders flood the mountains looking to make an easy buck and it gets pretty "hot" in the hills. I've only seen Ginseng growing wild once but it was a tiny isolated patch and it was a privilege. Like seeing any other rare plant I was awed and surprised.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Im not surprised. Im a Homeland Security trained medical 1st responder and have to take a training each year how to recognize I.E.D.'s

Do you know HOW we learn to recognize them? We learn to MAKE them. We all come up with ingenious ways to do so.

Obviously, I wont tell anyone here some of the more simple ways...but everyone perhaps wouldnt know one when they see it...unless they MAKE one themselves.

Its absolutely scary to realize just how easy and simple it is to make them. The trailcams we did around 2008...and progressed from there. Always be careful when out in the woods.

They could like like ANYTHING. Expect the unexpected.....

MS

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
These IEDs were designed to explode when a person inserted batteries into the trail camera

I'm mobile and can't seem to follow, but are these trail cameras being deployed?

Only reason to deploy a trail camera with a bomb instead of a battery is to kill a trail camera thief.
I've got some pretty extreme ideas on dealing with thiefs myself.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Im not surprised. Im a Homeland Security trained medical 1st responder and have to take a training each year how to recognize I.E.D.'s

Do you know HOW we learn to recognize them? We learn to MAKE them. We all come up with ingenious ways to do so.

Obviously, I wont tell anyone here some of the more simple ways...but everyone perhaps wouldnt know one when they see it...unless they MAKE one themselves.

Its absolutely scary to realize just how easy and simple it is to make them. The trailcams we did around 2008...and progressed from there. Always be careful when out in the woods.

They could like like ANYTHING. Expect the unexpected.....

MS

Thank you for this!
As a hiker of remote places I also clean up litter I find. Been "twitchy" ever since I picked up a beer can and a snake popped out. I hate that I'm going to have to fight my natural inclinations to haul litter out because it might be the last thing I touch. Not meaning to sound dramatic, but apparently "some" people are insane out there.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I guess the song is true.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I believe these IED are being set for trail cam thieves.

I have found trail cams using night vision googles.
Even the black flash type shows as a bright green flash on night vision googles.

new topics

top topics

join