It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some photographs from my piloting experiences

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

OK. I was trying to figure out what section it was without looking it up. The bridges seemed out of place for the Oxbow but the river turns back on itself there, too. I've been up river in a canoe into Hadley but not overhead.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a 172 is perfect for comfort....I'm so jealous.....

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hello fellow New Englander! Awesome pics! I would have been scared to death! LOL

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie

OK. I was trying to figure out what section it was without looking it up. The bridges seemed out of place for the Oxbow but the river turns back on itself there, too. I've been up river in a canoe into Hadley but not overhead.

Thanks!

Sportsman's Marina in Hadley was directly underneath in that picture. The sharp bend to the right goes to an area of the river known as "The Shallows". This area is where the river starts to really die down (as far as boats go) and is awesome for canoeing and kayaking. Further north there is almost never a boat to be found. I grew up on the CT river and know it like the back of my hand!

FYI This was taken about a mile from Northampton Airport during climb out!

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
a 172 is perfect for comfort....I'm so jealous.....

I only rent right now but when the day comes I know what I'll be buying

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Hello fellow New Englander! Awesome pics! I would have been scared to death! LOL

It's certainly not for everyone! I've flown over RI quite a bit... there are a lot of lakes and it's just a tiny little state

edit on 25-8-2016 by charolais because: typos

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

This is something ive always wanted to do.

Sincere congratulations on the accomplishment!

Can you give an idea of total cost incurred for your training and licensing?

Ive been told from $6k-$10k?

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

This is something ive always wanted to do.

Sincere congratulations on the accomplishment!

Can you give an idea of total cost incurred for your training and licensing?

Ive been told from $6k-$10k?

That number is pretty accurate. It's about $1000 for ground school, written test and check ride (practical test). Then the rest of the cost is in lessons.

The cost really depends on the flying hours and how long it takes you. The FAA minimum is 40 hours but the average is around 60. I did mine in 54 hours. Average plane rentals are anywhere from $90-$150/hr and instructors are usually around $60 hr. I spent around $9000 in total.

Out of your total hours, typically around 15 is solo (so you are only paying for the plane and not the instructor).

The good thing is there is no rush and you can do it all at your own pace. Some people only do a lesson every week or so and make it take about a year. I did a couple lessons a week and knocked it out in about 5 months. Also, once you have your license there really isn't any extra costs to maintain it so once you've paid all that money up front you've got it for life (unless you screw up and get it taken away).
edit on 26-8-2016 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

If you do ever fly a Schweizer, never, ever forget to check the air vent that runs through the nose. Check before every flight.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You know the river better than I and it's good to be able to study it from above. Most of my views of the CT come from crossing bridges or traveling parallel roads except for the one canoe trip up river and a trip decades ago to Sag Harbor on the ferry from near Hartford. I can't remember where we started from to paddle up river. I do know it was exhausting for me. Lol! (ETA) Oh, and a few plane trips during which I could see parts of the river from above before leaving or coming back into the area from Bradley.

You must be familiar with the Westfield River as well. During my fishing days I spent a lot of time in and at that river north of Westfield.

ETA: There's a big difference between the geography of the CT River area and out in Iowa!!
edit on 26-8-2016 by tweetie because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2016 by tweetie because: sentence form correction - no biggie!

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Loved your photos, sir! Thanks for sharing!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join