It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alantis myth from Canary Islands

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Hi hello yesterday I read a post here on ATS someone claiming that there exists an Atlantis myth in Canary Islands, Or i could have remembered it wrong, he stated that they spelled Atlantis something like Atlanditis, Atlantis but with a longer spelling.

Do you know something about this please write it here I would be grateful.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
atlan.org...

Greek myths tell the legend of the Atlantides, the seven beautiful daughters of the Titan Atlas, the founding father of Atlantis. The Atlantides are also called Pleiades or Hesperides, and personify the seven Islands of the Blest, which the Greeks obscurely placed in the Outer Ocean (Atlantic). These Islands of the Blest became vaguely confused with the Canary Islands. But after these islands were discovered and proved rather barren, the Atlantic Islands receded to remoter regions, and figured just about everywhere in the ancient maps. But they kept the ancient tradition on the seven islands which were the remains of sunken Atlantis.

In Greek myths, the Seven Pleiades (or Atlantides) were turned into the famous constellations after they drowned in the Outer Ocean, preferring death to dishonor in the hands of their cruel persecutor, Orion, the Hunter. As the Hesperides, the seven sisters were the guardians of the Seven Islands of the Blest, where stood the Gardens of Atlas, their father. The Garden of the Hesperides was placed, according to Eustatius, in agro Atlantis “in the fields of Atlas” (or Atlantis?), in the neighborhood of Mt. Atlas. More exactly, this fabulous garden was the Garden of Eden of the Judeo-Christians. It was also the Garden of Avalon of the Celts, the Garden of Idun of the Germans, the Hades (or Islands of the Blest) of the ancient Greeks, etc. All these were indeed disguises of Plato’s Atlantis which, after its sinking, became the Realm of the Dead, the paradisial islands that we now equate with Hell.

I am sure I am not confusing it with something like this or the poster did confuse something like this.

edit on 25-8-2016 by AtlantisWasReal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AtlantisWasReal

The native people of the Canary Island's were related more closely to the north African berber tribe's and were a light skinned fair or even red haired people though it is presumably possible that due to the isolation a later genetic heritage brought to the island's by berber sailors could have become dominant over several generations and hidden an earlier genetic legacy, when the Spaniard's invaded and colonized the island's they more or less wiped the original inhabitant's out but not completely and there are several account's of them believing they had a lost land beneath the sea which a great number of Atlantis in the Atlantic adherent's have claimed is atlantis, I do not know if the name of there sunken legend's even survived the invasion as much of there culture was undoubtedly erased by the forced conversion and imported culture of the Spanish settler's.

Very interesting group of people though.
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
Though linked to the Berbers it is also worth noting that the Irish also have shared genetic's with the north african Berbers in a great part of Ireland's native population so they may also have had celtic link's.

Similar to the legend's of the Canary's are the legend's of Ys and Lyoness in cornwall and the scily isles though they are geographically much further north.

The most similar name to Plato's Atlantis is to be found in the Aztec legendary lost and sunken homeland which the believed had sunken beneath the eastern sea (Atlantic) and called Aztlan though in all likeliness the name similarity is nothing more than a coincidence.

I do believe there are many sunken ruin's and that such a catastrophe however is more than possible but that there are many atlantis most from the end of the last ice age as well as likely other's from even earlier since we have been in and out of several ice age's over the past couple of hundred thousand years as well as other geological phenomena which may have come into play.

www.goldenageproject.org.uk...
www.atlantisquest.com...

It is an interesting and engrossing subject as well as a hotly contested one.

edit on 25-8-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Thank you.

I just realised that I have spelled the topic wrong.

I have searched and searched but I can't find that originally post that I referred to. It is a mystery what happened to it.

I suck at searching on google I just get hits saying that they think canary was a part of Atlantis or something like that and not the independent myths from the actual island.

This were also very interesting thanks.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
No input as far as you Canary Islands trail, and a bit off topic but here is a video that might be of interest to you.

It is an in depth remote viewing project on the target of Atlantis. I can't say that I 100% buy into everything involving RV but I can say the same thing for Atlantis. There is enough evidence to make me want to explore and find answers. Hell, if the cops will use psychics and RV'ers to help solve murder cases why not take a look at it.

Its a long video with several different experienced and well trained viewrs, that would be much shorter if the presenter Courtney Brown didn't keep repeating himself. We only need the definition of something once in a video and he gives it to yo like 5 times in each video they produce. He doesn't say anything groundbreaking for you skimmers who want the Cliffs notes, just skip ahead and watch the actual Viewers doing their thing. That isn't to say that he isn't helpful or doesn't give you a bit of behind the scenes etc. I recommend the whole thing but yeah... We live in a world of drive thrust and 2 hours is a lot to ask these days.

Anyway, hope its helpful, and you find what you are looking for.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
The most similar name to Plato's Atlantis is to be found in the Aztec legendary lost and sunken homeland which the believed had sunken beneath the eastern sea (Atlantic) and called Aztlan though in all likeliness the name similarity is nothing more than a coincidence.

That's a total red herring though, Plato called it Atlantis himself because he didn't know its real name was and attributed it to Atlas, because the chief Deity in Atlantis was probably a god of Astronomy or endurance. Atlantis means "island of Atlas" and he states in the dialogues that all the names are made up and named after their closest Greek counterparts with which he was familiar. so when the priest Sonchis was translating for him, he wouldn't have said "Poseidon" he would have said "Water God"
So looking for something with a similar name is a bit pointless, in fact you should be looking for a place that is named anything but something similar...

Source Critias

Yet, before proceeding further in the narrative, I ought to warn you, that you must not be surprised if you should perhaps hear Hellenic names given to foreigners. I will tell you the reason of this: Solon, who was intending to use the tale for his poem, enquired into the meaning of the names, and found that the early Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language, and he recovered the meaning of the several names and when copying them out again translated them into our language. My great-grandfather, Dropides, had the original writing, which is still in my possession, and was carefully studied by me when I was a child. Therefore if you hear names such as are used in this country, you must not be surprised, for I have told how they came to be introduced.

But yanno, feel free to ignore Plato if it doesn't match what you want to be true, everyone else does

But if you are serious
Since the Milos conference in Greece in 2005, there have been guidelines set up by all the experts on Atlantis
These 24 points are what you need to satisfy to claim you found it

1. The Metropolis of Atlantis should have been located where an island used to be and where parts of it may still exist.
2. The Metropolis of Atlantis should have had a most distinct geomorphology composed of alternating concentric rings of land and water.
3. The Atlantis should have been located outside the Pillars of Hercules.
4. The Metropolis of Atlantis was greater than Libya and Anatolia and Middle East and Sinai (combined).
5. Atlantis must have sheltered a literate population with metallurgical and navigational skills.
6. The Metropolis of Atlantis should have been routinely reachable from Athens by sea.
7. At the time, Atlantis should have been at war with Athens.
8. The Metropolis of Athens must have suffered a devastating physical destruction of unprecedented proportions.
9. The Metropolis of Atlantis should have sunk entirely or partly below the water.
10. The Metropolis of Atlantis was destroyed 9000 Egyptian years before the 6th century B.C.
11. The port of Atlantis was 50 stadia (7,5 km) from the city.
12. Atlantis had a high population density, enough to support a large army (10,000 chariots, 1,200 ships, 1,200,000 hoplites)
13. The region of Atlantis involved the sacrifice of bulls.
14. The destruction of Atlantis was accompanied by an earthquake.
15. After the destruction of Atlantis, the passage of ships was blocked.
16. Elephants were present in Atlantis.
17. No physically or geologically impossible processes were involved in the destruction of Atlantis.
18. Hot and cold springs, with mineral deposits, were present in Atlantis.
19. Atlantis lay on a coastal plain 2000 X 3000 stadia surrounded by mountains falling into the sea.
20. Atlantis controlled other states of the period.
21. Winds in Atlantis came from the north (only in Northern hemisphere)
22. The rocks in Atlantis were of various colors: black, white, and red.
23. There were canals for irrigation in Atlantis.
24. Every 5th and 6th year, they sacrificed bulls.

Number 19 makes it clear that Atlantis wasn't actually a small island, 2000 x 3000 stadia is approx 200 x 300 miles

edit on 25-8-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown

It is an in depth remote viewing project on the target of Atlantis.

aaaand Its nonsense, the best use they can put that to is to claim that Atlantis is in the Atlantic, that's a bit amateur. That's the one place that geology knows it wasn't..

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

As for Plato's (or should be say Solon's) Atlantis you are absolutely correct and Thera is the most credible culprit in the Mediterranean though there is that whole argument about the pillars of Heracles and the prodigious size of the land his story (which was probably an allegory meant to impart some form of moral tale with the Greek's of course being the good guy's and the Atlantean's being blown out of proportion in order to make the Greek's resistance more heroic) but I still do think there are plenty of lost island's and even large area's of the continental shelf which were formerly land, it is even conceivable that several time's since the birth of the Atlantic that the mid Atlantic ridge has pushed up large volcano's that perhap's even broke the surface onto to later subside (but did it happen in human memory).

The theory I prefer is more based on continental tilting and sub crustal magma displacement's during the ice depression of vast area's of the northern hemisphere during the ice age's coupled with the later reduction in sub crustal pressure allowing the swelling near to the equator to sink back down once the vast ice sheet's melted and also coupled with the overall increase in weight of the ocean itself, the tilting part has to do with the idea that the south american plate is riding over ancient pacific mantle and perhaps even the remnant of proto continent's which formed and then sank back into the sea several time's during geological history so making part's of the pacific plate much thicker than the average, couple the mechanical life of the south american place drifting over one of these with the then reduced pressure of the sub crustal magma in the atlantic at the end of the ice age (or one of the several ice ages over the past few million years) and it become's concievable that the plate may have tilted dropping a vast amount of formerly land on the continental shelf of the eastern south american sea board into the depth's of the ocean and pushing up former western sea board fjord's like Lake Titicaca which though now fresh water still has flora and fauna closely related to species still found at sea level in the ocean a few hundred miles west of it (land to the west would therfore have actually then been underwater before this tilting.

And what is more this may have happened several time's.
www.yasi9.com...

For sake of argument let's say it happened in a cataclysmic geological episode about 14000-12000 or even as late as 10.000-8000 years ago and the fury of this actually also put downward pressure on the thinner atlantic plates with there reduced magma uplift due to magma sub crustal magma redistribution following the removal of the ice sheet's form the northern hemisphere making the atlantic much deeper than it formerly was, two massive tidal wave's, tsunami's of unparalleled proportions' in human history swept across both the Atlantic and the Pacific as a result wiping out the surviving coastal culture's that had coped with the sea level fluctuation and washing hundred's of miles in shore, on flatter land maybe even thousand's of miles as these great tsunami's could have been miles in height.

Just a thought but have a think about it.

edit on 25-8-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
You should stick with the facts
1. We know Athens didn't exist 9000 years before Solon
2. We know that Solon got all the names from a double translation, which only preserved etymology, not nouns from the original language into Egyptian and then into Greek, including the Athenians. Who are distinct only because they followed a Goddess
3. We know there has never been a continent larger than Africa and Asia combined, I've read that the word used could also mean Between (Between Africa and Asia)
4. if you don't stick to the facts, you're wasting your time..

But you should think about it, its just another version of the middle eastern flood story. With the names removed

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

The fact's are You are arguing about a name and that name being Atlantis, yes it has spawned many people's imagination but it has become a General name for any and all sunken land legend's.

Let me throw a few more into the mix for you, Hi Brasil, Ys, Lyoness, MuLemuria (not an ancient legend but a hypothetical land which was considered as an explanation for the displacement of Lemur population's around the Pacific (the other explanation run's foul of Anthropologists as it hang's on human's using them as Food or Pet's and taking them with them but there genetic variations in these small primate's would suggest a much longer time span necessary than the Anthropological model of human evolution would allow if they were truly moved around by human's since accordingly human's did not exist in the region when some of these sub species of lemur diverged).

Now the first three are Celtic, let's add another the land of the Frisian's a north atlantic sunken or lost land and then there is the Aztlan of the Aztec's and many other's from Asia to africa and from china to europe.

Are all of these land's therefore merely folk tale's and made up story's or could there be a grain of truth in some of them.

Now you are making a circular argument about the size of the continent, there actually is one and by the way Plato never mentioned any america's, if the continent tilted and the eastern seaboard sank under the water then there could have potentially been populated areas' that were deluged and lost beneath the ocean as a result, how large was the south american continent before the eastern sea board (a much flatter and expansive region of the south american plate than the mountainous crumple zone of the andes which owe's it birth to the fact the plate is riding over very thick potentially proto continental pacific plate).

If the plate tilted then did it also increase depression of the thinner atlantic crustal zone and if so could that also as well as sinking anything on the affect plates' and caused a subsidence further east i.e. the african western region and the southern european western region.

Could this then have made the atlantic much larger as a result (not rate of continental drift but submerged land surface and continental plate which formerly may have been land) and so the atlantic became all but impassible, hey presto the surviving part of Atlantis (south america) would have been simply unknown and the idea that he whole massive continent had sunken would make sense.

If you want to argue fact's then Atlantis is a legend but of course most legend's have at least a grain of truth.
In this case maybe not Atlantis if Plato actually invented it as an allegorical tale BUT what if he spoke the truth and it was a story he retold from his own mentor Solon and his having been told it by Egyptian priest's.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

The fact's are You are arguing about a name and that name being Atlantis, yes it has spawned many people's imagination but it has become a General name for any and all sunken land legend's.

Well if he spoke the truth, he was describing a bronze age culture. So its somewhere around 3000BCE and he got the date wrong

Feel free to connect Atlantis (Not its name) with anything else you feel like, because that surely is the same trap you fringers have been falling in for decades, going round in circles

oh and please do at least a minutes research on Lemurs, they evolved in Africa around 60 million years ago. But you seem to think that Lemurs are an ancestral primate to us, they aren't so your argument there is completely bonkers...

lemurs are often confused with ancestral primates, when in actuality, lemurs did not give rise to monkeys and apes, but evolved independently

source
edit on 27-8-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

When you get that desperate that you have to start moving continents around to explain your idea, then its not an idea, its lunacy
Especially when you seem to be making up plates as you go to fit your hypothesis.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Yeah, sometimes land sinks.

originally posted by: LABTECH767 Let me throw a few more into the mix for you, Hi Brasil, Ys, Lyoness, MuLemuria

Brasil is not a sunken land, it's just shrouded in mist and unreachable.

Ys is a tale of a coastal city that was submerged by the ocean, and was (according to the myth) constructed in the 5th century AD. A bit late to the Atlantis party.

Lyonesse supposedly existed in the era of Arthurian legend. Again, relatively modern.

originally posted by: LABTECH767... a hypothetical land which was considered as an explanation for the displacement of Lemur population's around the Pacific (the other explanation run's foul of Anthropologists as it hang's on human's using them as Food or Pet's and taking them with them but there genetic variations in these small primate's would suggest a much longer time span necessary than the Anthropological model of human evolution would allow if they were truly moved around by human's since accordingly human's did not exist in the region when some of these sub species of lemur diverged).

You seem to understand about Lemuria, but you wrongly conflate Lemuria and Mu.
Mu comes from a bogus translation of a Mayan Codex which was later found to be numerical in nature and not the story of "Queen Moo" (as it was spelled) leaving the Americas and founding the Egyptian civilization as Le Plongeon claimed.

originally posted by: LABTECH767Now the first three are Celtic, let's add another the land of the Frisian's a north atlantic sunken or lost land and then there is the Aztlan of the Aztec's and many other's from Asia to africa and from china to europe.

Frisia's history is quite entitled to flood stories. Frisia, which exists today, was in the past prone to major flooding from the North Sea. Then they built dikes.

There is no Aztec legend concerning Atlan being sunk, so why include it here?

originally posted by: LABTECH767 Are all of these land's therefore merely folk tale's and made up story's or could there be a grain of truth in some of them...

If you want to argue fact's then Atlantis is a legend but of course most legend's have at least a grain of truth.
In this case maybe not Atlantis if Plato actually invented it as an allegorical tale BUT what if he spoke the truth and it was a story he retold from his own mentor Solon and his having been told it by Egyptian priest's.

Yes, land sometimes sinks and sometimes is simply eroded into the sea. That's the grain of truth here, a truth very well known by Plato and his contemporaries (see Helike.)

Please do a little reading on the subject. I say this because you have just claimed Solon as Plato's mentor. Look that one up at least.

Harte
edit on 8/27/2016 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Yes, land sometimes sinks and sometimes is simply eroded into the sea. That's the grain of truth here, a truth very well known by Plato and his contemporaries (see Helike.)

There are loads of sunk Greek cities.
www.visitgreece.gr...

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
But not much regarding Solon as Plato's mentor.

Harte

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk
Well if he spoke the truth, he was describing a bronze age culture. So its somewhere around 3000BCE and he got the date wrong

Unless of course it's just described as "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"...

If you cut a 0 from Platos statement and see where the date land, look up the "Sea People". A civilization with unknown origin, advanced enough weaponry to wreck other civilizations in the eastern mediterrainian (until the Egyptians beat them down) and then they vanish from history again.

Coincidence?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Even OFF the continental shelf there are traces of continental rock in the atlantic, this RT page from a quick google re-tell's of that brazilian discovery (nothing to do with the fables lost island of Plato and Solon I am sure.
www.rt.com...
Now as you know this may not have been land but rather simply continental mass isolated by plate drift, a small section isolated that may never have broken the surface but it just may have been a small micro continent type of structure (continent not on mass but on makeup of it's material)

Of course you are familiar with the Dogga Land and the sunken Rheine valley (the Thames was a tributary and the English channel was a river valley) which emptied originally via a vast delta region into the Atlantic to the west of Spain.

Land does not just sometime's sink and erode it does it all the time though a recent survey as you are probably aware show's that with the climate change overall we have gained more desert than we have lost land to the sea in the past several decade's mostly due to the Aral sea drying up.

As for Frisia, You have of course heard of the Oora Lindus, probably a NAZI propaganda creation (because the Frisian's - the ancestors of the Dutch were regarded as Aryan by the NAZI ideologist's) or even a fake curio from the 1800's which purported to be a medieval text and which had conveniently vanished by the end of the war but which it was claimed told the tale of the Frisian homeland which had sunken in an ancient catastrophe, a land which had been peaceful (the usual fairy tale utopia) and ruled by a council of elder woman (so maybe a victorian fake made to push a feminist agenda at a time of immense sexual inequality).

You also know that there is more to it than you like to accept, we both do not believe in Atlantis Infula but given your passion you definitely know that this inconvenient truth about the earth both before, during and after humanity is a natural process, the planet fart's and burp's with no human interference and sometime's big thing's happen when it follow's through to be a little coarse.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

First of all Heart as far as Solon is concerned, I am not a historian that is your forte.
www.atlantis-today.com...
But that said There was a link or is claimed to have been a link between these two Greek Scholars.

Now History has not disproved such a link has it, if it has then show us the research disproving the link between Solon and Plato (not that I would find that interesting as it is more the Geology that I am interested in here).

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

No a Star for the FIRST paragraph, no I do not seem to think Lemurs are an ancestral primate, I am actually a creationist by the way but enough of that it would spark a never ending argument as I am also a pre-adamite believer.
Now to get my point across the genetic link I was explaining with Lemur's was not to humanity but to each sub group of lemur's found on island's (mainly the Indian ocean) that are thousand's of miles apart and there being no explainable mechanism for this except for the three suggested, the intermediary sea bed being one land and connecting these island's as part of a now sunken land mass is one, the movement of Lemur's by human being's for whatever purpose (some tribes do eat them but they can not be kept in captivity and die of stress very easily so a voyage in a canoe is unlikely) is another and some Alien's in a UFO dropping them from space on little silver Mesopotamian god parachutes with Marduk printed on them is another.

Actually I was ignorant of the fact Lemurs have been proven to NOT be a primate species, that is intriguing and a good argument for Parallel evolutionism so you should file that away for future reference and re quoting value.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

First of all Heart as far as Solon is concerned, I am not a historian that is your forte.
www.atlantis-today.com...
But that said There was a link or is claimed to have been a link between these two Greek Scholars.

Now History has not disproved such a link has it, if it has then show us the research disproving the link between Solon and Plato (not that I would find that interesting as it is more the Geology that I am interested in here).

fyi,
Solon (c. 638 – c. 558 BC)
Plato ( c 428/427 or 424/423– 348/347 BC)

So Solon was dead for over 130 years by the time Plato was born, so its unlikely on that basis that he mentored him.

Plato states in Timaeus

Then listen, Socrates, to a tale which, though strange, is certainly true, having been attested by Solon, who was the wisest of the seven sages. He was a relative and a dear friend of my great-grandfather, Dropides, as he himself says in many passages of his poems; and he told the story to Critias, my grandfather, who remembered and repeated it to us.

So Solon was related to and a friend of Plato's great grandfather, not his mentor...

This highlights another point that most people don't realise

You have
Original story
Translated from its original language into Egyptian
Translated from Egyptian into Greek
Remembered by five generations of Plato's family before he commits it to paper
Translated from Greek into English

None of which attests to the stories veracity...

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

the intermediary sea bed being one land and connecting these island's as part of a now sunken land mass is one, the movement of Lemur's by human being's for whatever purpose (some tribes do eat them but they can not be kept in captivity and die of stress very easily so a voyage in a canoe is unlikely) is another and some Alien's in a UFO dropping them from space on little silver Mesopotamian god parachutes with Marduk printed on them is another.

You seem to be generally ignorant of Lemurs, let me tell you, none of your ideas is what science currently says
Science currently claims that the lemurs got there on rafts, this is attested by the palaeontology which shows a long slow dispersal on Madagascar, which only supports animals being blown there by chance over a long period. A land bridge would have all the current animals arriving at the same time, so would Mesopotamian god parachutes, and pets for humans is unworkable because the Lemurs have been there since we were still in the trees ourselves,

Oceanic dispersal

Ignore science at your error

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join