It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster Then Light Speed, Can We Do It?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I think a good start would be actually proving that the universe outside of the planet is real.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
I think a good start would be actually proving that the universe outside of the planet is real.

Where is 'outside of the planet' begins?

Or you are referring to virtual reality cosmos around you where you are in the center of events and everything else is simulation, human characters not real (simulated replicas of single you as variations of 'you')?

Thanks

cheers)

edit on 6-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
To' reach stars fast' idea, it has to do with shortening the distance between Earth and destination object, providing easy access (a 'shortcut').

Space-time topology and nature of dimensions is what matters, imo

cheers)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: greenreflections
To' reach stars fast' idea, it has to do with shortening the distance between Earth and destination object, providing easy access (a 'shortcut').

There's some debate over whether this idea is actually desirable, since it would (obviously) distort the space-time in which the craft itself was embedded, affecting the craft (and its occupants). All sort of weird effects might come into play, e.g., equipment ceasing to work because the power cables are suddenly six light-years long, or being ripped instantly into little bits by the huge amounts of interstellar dust, normally harmless, which you would suddenly run into all at the same time (effectively becoming a wall that's several million miles thick).

Because obviously the two planets between which you are travelling remain in their original positions all the time. Never sure what to make of this, and it might be surmountable in some way.
edit on 7-10-2016 by audubon because: minor amendment

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

There's some debate over whether this idea is actually desirable, since it would (obviously) distort the space-time in which the craft itself was embedded, affecting the craft (and its occupants).

I agree. Then, as I suspected before, faster than 300,000 km in a second is not possible. Or are there?

cheers)
edit on 9-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: greenreflections

The vacuum is everywhere. Out there. In here. In you. In deep space. It is a virtual EM waveform that permiates and dictates everything.

Light (photons) travel through this vacuum via a mechanisim called spontaneous photon emission. The process takes a set amount of time to complete before the photon is set on its way again while it travels. Think of it like its conducting through the vacuum. Its not really but its a decent analogy.

So photon gets absorbed by virtual electron positron pairs and gets spit out a moment later. How fast this process takes establishes the speed of light. Charged particles travelling through these virtual electron positron pairs experience a tinsy amount of drag as their charges are impeaded a little passing through or by these virtual particles. This little drag adds up fast and is what we call inertial mass. Its more complex than that but basically thats it in a nutshell.

If you match the impedance via a dielectric field surrounding your craft with that of these virtual particles that make up the virtual EM sea comprising the vacuum. Two interesting things happen. You reduce or eliminate inertia. You also change the speed of light to much much faster than it normally is in a vacuum.

You also as a side give relativity the bird and are basically exempt from its rules.

How fast can a photon or a particle behaving like a photon go when the spontaneous photon emission process is nearly instantaneous? Would travel around the galaxy be nearly instantaneous?
edit on 9-10-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
Would travel around the galaxy be nearly instantaneous?

Not even close. A nice fairly safe speed where you get to keep your teeth unchipped and have a decent chance not looking like chorizo upon arrival might be around 10C at the moment.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

For now. But with the improvement on computing power to match impedance on those in homogeneous bumps in the vacuum fast enough to prevent crew and test mass frappe who knows.

Nice of you to join in the discussion.

Hows the new gig btw? Sorry they got you still out in the desert.

Will need to hit you up for australia advice. Fibding two bedroom townhouses for rent in cairns that are nicer and cheaper than my crappy studio apt in la. Will need advice regarding life down unda

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Also 10c is warp 2 for the old ncc1701d. Not bad for 2016. Thats a few decades ahead of E. Cochrane.

Roughly 5 months from here to proxima centauri.

Usa!! Usa!! Usa!!

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The ether of which light resides would have to travel faster than light itself

I think Matter is made of things that do not contain mass also

Just throwing stuff out there
edit on 9-10-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Depending on the generation, newer ones might get up to 50C. You could get to planet dirt in 5-6 weeks. If you wanted to.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ssenerawa

Matter is renowned for having mass. It's one of it's salient qualities.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Nice of you to join in the discussion.

Alas, how briefly. I got about 15 more minutes and it's hidy-ho.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Do they confiscate your phones when you head in for work just curious. I would.

Oh well. Talk later if youre not blown out from work.

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

The actual microscopic intricacy of which things are made up of, like atoms and stuff

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

An apple is not really an apple

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa

I see what youre getting at. Listen to bedlam is my advice. I dont know why but i think he may really really know what hes talking about

posted on Oct, 9 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yes he's pretty smart I actually agree with his OP, I just like opening doors for alternative perspectives

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

The actual microscopic intricacy of which things are made up of, like atoms and stuff

Atoms have mass.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Do they confiscate your phones when you head in for work just curious. I would.

Leave em in the locker or kiss it bye lol
edit on 10-10-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join