It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest aircraft crashes on landing during second test run

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

News arrived last week that the world’s biggest aircraft, the helium-filled plane/airship Airlander 10, had completed its maiden voyage in Bedfordshire, UK. Today, a second test flight took place. Sadly, this one wasn’t quite as successful – the aircraft crashed into the ground as it came in to land.
Hybrid Air Vehicles (HAV) – the company that built the Airlander 10 – said on its Facebook page: "We're debriefing following the second test flight this morning. All crew are safe and well and there are no injuries."

Glad everyone is ok, obviously needs some work. Apparently there is some speculation as to a line hanging from the aircraft coming into contact with a telephone pole possibly being responsible for the "heavy landing".
edit on 24-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

As far as air vehicle crashes, that was comically underwhelming lol. First thing that came in to my head was this video for some reason:

Glad everyone is okay!

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Lets just be thankful its full of Helium and not Hydrogen.

It does somewhat resemble a Manatee all the same.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

News arrived last week that the world’s biggest aircraft, the helium-filled plane/airship Airlander 10, had completed its maiden voyage in Bedfordshire, UK. Today, a second test flight took place. Sadly, this one wasn’t quite as successful – the aircraft crashed into the ground as it came in to land.
Hybrid Air Vehicles (HAV) – the company that built the Airlander 10 – said on its Facebook page: "We're debriefing following the second test flight this morning. All crew are safe and well and there are no injuries."

Glad everyone is ok, obviously needs some work. Apparently there is some speculation as to a line hanging from the aircraft coming into contact with a telephone pole possibly being responsible for the "heavy landing".

" the 100 min flight went well, until we landed" uh, the same could be said about a plane crash.....LOL.

Glad they are okay, but what is the point of this aircraft? Its huge and only goes 40 mph.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Theoretically it can deliver cargo to places without a conventional runway to the tune of around 50 tonnes. And apparently will offer lower haulage cost per tonne-km than other aircraft.
edit on 24-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Oh the humanity!

How does it normally come down?

That looked pretty good to me.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Apparently there is some speculation as to a line hanging from the aircraft coming into contact with a telephone pole possibly being responsible for the "heavy landing".

Would that be a very ignorant oversight. If lines are left hanging that can snag poles and lines.

Hope it isn't that duh situation.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Theoretically it can deliver cargo to places without a conventional runway to the tune of around 50 tonnes. And apparently will offer lower haulage cost per tonne-km than other aircraft.

The problem that it has in competing with conventional A/C is the speed..... 70 mph.

I was really surprised to see it crash and be damaged. I thought it would be difficult to wreck.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I fail to understand how these craft make any sense unless a whole chain of people and business are engaged in collecting investor money and government grants. It has been proven decades ago that lighter-than-air vehicles are not suited for a modern world in terms of about every practicality dear to flight and travel.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Suppose with a maximum attitude of around 20,000ft and internal load capacity of 50 tonnes it would make the perfect observation platform able to loiter around for extended periods of time. Rather vulnerable to attack all the same.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I would throw a good air plane pun in here, but i dont think it would land......

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Maybe they should have named it Albatross.. or Gonzo.
Nice squashing defense system

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Unless its windy.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Ewww, right on the gondola. More like bumped into than crashed.

But hey, any landing you can walk away from...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
But still, it is a heavier than air machine made in composites. With plenty more flight testing under the belt, any foibles it might have should be able to be sorted.
Then you should have a very smooth stable machine, I like the concept.

I was just thinking, if the captain's name is Maureen, you could give it the nickname.....?
edit on 24-8-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

They learned absolutely nothing from the Zeppelin fiasco did they?

edit on 8-24-2016 by searcherfortruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think the earth rotated into it!

Joking aside, this type of "aircraft" could be the answer to the problems of transportation over long distance where speed is not an issue.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I wish that project all the best. And may all future air crashes be as tame as that one.

I have hope for our future.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's the Flying Manatee!

Old pilot joke: "Flying is easy. Landing is hard."

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
i'd rather be a passenger in that and crash than a Boeing 747... or any other commercial plane ever.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join