It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Convicted of Making Concerns Public

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Convicted with a misdemeanor, a mother has a suspended 30 day sentence and $29 fine for what is interpreted as spreading a rumor as a "public nuisance". Her Facebook post resulting in the conviction said:

“My son says some eighth-graders are planning on bringing guns to school maybe Monday and have a shootout to see ‘who’s the first to die.’ So apparently the school found out too and they made an announcement on the intercom what to do if this really happens: hide under desk, remain calm, etc. What is going on these days? I’m sickened and [auth] afraid.

Source: rdrnews.com... Source: www.washingtonpost.com...

The claim people were making is that she is allowed to say exactly this, but only to "the authorities". Apparently spreading rumors is fine or a crime depending on who it is your are telling the rumor to. This glaring hypocrisy of unequal rights was particularly obvious in a comment within the Washington Post by user "Rimfire" saying:

“Her concern for her son’s safety and for other students’ safety was certainly understandable, but what should have been done was to call the school, call the police department, let them know what she had heard,”

Amen.
Unsurprisingly because it was the Washington Post, commenters who are often atheists, take turns literally worshiping their God, the government. If you tell a rumor to the government you are doing the right thing but if it makes your gods in government look bad then its a crime and is disruptive. Get it?

So, is this the same situation as yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater? And if so, does that mean it should be stopped by whatever physical force deemed appropriate? Obviously my opinion is biased on this question but I would like to know what others think about this.
edit on 24-8-2016 by wayforward because: mistake in title

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

So this mother is going to spend 30 days in jail for this? Who's going to take care of her son? I hope they aren't a 1-parent household

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

If this was in the USA then it is my opinion that the judge and the prosecutor should be taken out behind the courthouse and horsewhipped with prejudice.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Prison time for doing nothing. Dark times.

Oh, and no, this is not the same as shouting fire in a crowded theatre.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I wonder if she foiled the next false-flag school shooting with her irresponsible concern for peoples' lives.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You lost me at the atheist/God/government stuff. I resent that as an atheist who distrusts and despises the government and as someone who tries very hard to not negatively stereotype people based on their religion.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Trying to blame this on atheists is ridiculous and asinine. Which is exactly what you're trying to inject into this story.

Local laws and policies are the issue here.

If she was concerned, she should have notified the police. But making a post on Facebook should not be a criminal offense.

But none of this has anything to do with anyone's religious beliefs or lack thereof.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
]originally posted by: wayforward

Unsurprisingly because it was the Washington Post, commenters who are often atheists, take turns literally worshiping their God, the government.

Well there's a dumb statement right there. Kinda shoots your credibility to hell throwing in a pointless lie into the mix like that.

Just had to vent some of that Religious bias you have building up inside or what???
edit on 24-8-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
#ing scumbag local/government for ya. There are times (more often lately) when I think we'd be better off with no government at all.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

So this mother is going to spend 30 days in jail for this? Who's going to take care of her son? I hope they aren't a 1-parent household

No, her sentence of 30 days is a deferred sentence, meaning that the judge isn't making her do it unless she fails to complete some sort of probation. I wish the article touched on the probation aspect of it.

She has to pay $29. That is the totality of her punishment.

I can understand the "why" behind the conviction, but I also understand her concern and wanting to spread the information just in case. She should have, though, gone through the school, as they most certainly have an expedient way to get the information to all of the school student's families, and not just the ones that are friends with her on Facebook.

ETA: But don't get me wrong, I probably would have posted it on FB, too, and would be in her shoes. I also would have dealt directly with the school or law enforcement, too, though.
edit on 24-8-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

So, is this the same situation as yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater? And if so, does that mean it should be stopped by whatever physical force deemed appropriate? Obviously my opinion is biased on this question but I would like to know what others think about this.

You want to know what I think of it? Simple really. The Atheistic Marxists parading around disguised as "Progressives" worship the God of Government in their practice of their religion of politics and they control things like the Government schools. The woman was of course an idiot, as are most who use facebook, but yea.......this is looking more and more like Nazi Germany every day.

I'm sure the defenders of this practice would say, "Its not over reach if we can get away with it." And now, the PC rules of the Marxists extend to rumor mongering.

What's next?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
The Atheistic Marxists parading around disguised as "Progressives" worship the God of Government in their practice of their religion of politics and they control things like the Government schools.

I think you just like to link every label that scares you into one long misinformed string regardless of it making sense. Why not throw in "dummy head or poopy pants" in there while your at it???

What any of those groups has to do with this topic is of your own creation.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What's with all the accusations of atheists worshipping government? I assumed it was just some weird tick the OP had, but it looks like they're not the only one...

I dislike the government a *lot* more than I dislike the thought of people actually believing in the various FSM derivatives. Granted both groups are extremely dangerous to myself and my species... but some whacko with a book full of fairy tales isn't the one spying on me and enforcing outrageous restrictions on my freedom. At least, not in this point in time.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

That's what zealots often do in arguments. They blame everything they think is wrong in the world on those they disagree with regardless of whether or not they have anything to do with it.

Similar to how they blame hurricanes and floods on gay marriage.

They're insane and only read one book for any information which is 2000 years old. What do you expect??

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
You want to know what I think of it? Simple really. The Atheistic Marxists parading around disguised as "Progressives" worship the God of Government in their practice of their religion of politics and they control things like the Government schools.

What's next?

We atheists are unwitting hosts to the devil's will and therefore we are going to eat your babies and destroy your religion, thanks for asking.

@OP

This is clearly ridiculous (and I don't just mean your atheism injection in the OP). The woman put it on social media and informed the parents, something we can't guarantee the school and authorities would have done. If she had been right she would be a hero who tried to warn us, though I believe she should have told the school and police too, that was stupid of her if she believed there to be a credible threat - but from her point of view she was just trying to see if anyone else had heard anything about it to gather information. Imagine the guilt she'd have if she had said nothing and a shooting happened?
edit on 24/8/2016 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Long camera pan into 'The Yard' ...

Convict #1: "What are You doing here? I killed My cheating husband and the 'snip' He was sleeping with..."

Convict #2: "I shot My no-good sperm donor because He shorted Me on child support..."

Convict #3: "I embezzled $$$ big deal... Hey look at the 'new fish..'

Convict #1: "Seeing that I'll be here for L/WOP (Life W/Out Parole) I claim Her for My 'cellie/g-friend..'

Convict #3: "What are You in here for New Fish"?

New Fish aka WA753782 : "I made a post on farcebook™..."

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

You lost me at the atheist/God/government stuff. I resent that as an atheist who distrusts and despises the government and as someone who tries very hard to not negatively stereotype people based on their religion.

I'm sorry, you missed the point. Those who I know that label them self atheist, mostly people in places like California and Vermont, seem to be the most ardent supporters of government as a religion. I believe this because of a history where a communist government makes attempts to eradicate (competing) religions (China, USSR, North Korea) and then establish them selves as a type of higher power or even deity in some cases (North Korea). But maybe you have more information showing that this is not the case? Nationalism is a cult. The populations of places like France, China, and now the USA are indoctrinated into nationalism more than most places, but also more atheistic than other places. But, you are welcome to show me the problems with my belief in my belief on that topic. I would say the religious aspect of this story is the worship of government, not atheism. I fear all religions but at the moment the most threatening one seems to be liberalism (Obama as the messiah) which is an "atheist" religion. Whether that religion was involved in this story I don't know for sure, but I think it was.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: wayforward
. . . atheists, take turns literally worshiping their God, the government . . .

Where did you get that from?

Oh, and I'm in California.

Not the "atheist-communist" thing again.

edit on 24-8-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
whatever one claims as a religiuis belief gossip is poor mannered behavior....JMHO.... great OP thanks for writing it because gossip is not a nice thing 29$ fine seems reasonable to give back to the folks that work in government...hopefully I am on topic, thank you, OP...for this thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I'm sorry, you missed the point.

No, you lost your point by throwing in the atheist stuff.

I would say the religious aspect of this story is the worship of government, not atheism.

So, atheism had nothing to do with your OP, and it sounds like you agree.
edit on 24-8-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join