It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melting Ice may Reveal Secret Army Base (& Toxic Waste) in Greenland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Actual Title to the Article: Global Warming may Uncover Secret Army Base in Greenland -- Including its Cache of Toxic Waste

During the Cold War in the 60s the US Army wanted to build launch sites under the northern Greenland ice sheet for nuclear attacks against the Soviets. This program was known as Project Iceworm (I love that name!)

Well the US Army abandoned one of the sites called Camp Century in 1966 because they found that the area they built it into was on an unstable mass of ice, and glacial movement would deform the tunnels they were constructing. Because of this abandonment, they left loads of toxic waste there because they thought it would remain encased and sealed off in the ice - climate change and warmer temperatures are demonstrating why this was not a smart move on the part of the US Army:

... the Army only performed a minimal decommissioning of the base in 1967, assuming that the abandoned equipment and a host of toxic materials left behind would be forever trapped in the ice -- swept under the proverbial, and supposedly permanent rug, as it were. Examples of the waste material left behind include nearly a quarter-million liters (63,000 gallons) of sewage, 200,000 liters (53,000 gallons) of diesel fuel, PCBs, construction chemicals, and radioactive coolant fluid.

For all you history buffs out there, you might appreciate this last tidbit from the article:

Camp Century is also located about 200 km, (125 miles) from the site of the Thule Air Base broken arrow incident that occurred in 1968, where a B-52 bomber, carrying four nuclear bombs, crashed, releasing radioactive material into the environment.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Same thing i posted last time I read about this.

1996: "let the snow and ice bury it, the future can deal with it"
2016: "Pour concrete over it, Let the future deal with it"
20xx: "Fu*k"
edit on 24-8-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
So they left a heap of pollutants, very kind of them! but of ocourse if this stuff does reappear, it will be a sign of Global Warming...not Climate Change, which is odd since Climate Change isn't Global warming!

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Exactly why I didn't use the article's title in the thread title, and why I mentioned climate change instead of global warming
You are so right. Whatever fits their narrative, right?

"Carbon taxes, you must pay to play! Bad humans, stop being so pulluting!" Meanwhile if they did enact carbon taxes all of the corporations that Cause all of the pollution would get "credits" and not pay a dime, and you and me and us citizens would bear the burden once again.

F*ck that

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: smurfy

Exactly why I didn't use the article's title in the thread title, and why I mentioned climate change instead of global warming
You are so right. Whatever fits their narrative, right?

"Carbon taxes, you must pay to play! Bad humans, stop being so pulluting!" Meanwhile if they did enact carbon taxes all of the corporations that Cause all of the pollution would get "credits" and not pay a dime, and you and me and us citizens would bear the burden once again.

F*ck that

Sounds to me to be a bit like the work of Schneider and/or Hansen, in their never ending quest to shove things down people's throats because we don't understand what they model.....therefore we are victims of the superduper, mega rich oil gangs, who are very naughty boys!

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
So they left a heap of pollutants, very kind of them! but of ocourse if this stuff does reappear, it will be a sign of Global Warming...not Climate Change, which is odd since Climate Change isn't Global warming!

Funny, I've noticed this talking point all over the place as of late. Have you guys changed the narrative, once again?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
Sorry to hear about Greenland, but the military will just deny the chemicals are harmful, they have been doing that for a long time. A lot of US bases have PCB contamination in the drinking water, it's ok to poison the vets just don't harm any animals. As for the sewage they'll just burn it with the diesel, they've been doing it for years. The radioactive coolant they'll just put it in large tanks, if it leaks in the ground water they will just deny it's harmful as long as it's deluded enough. But the people of Greenland may come down with a lot of leukemia cases and a lot of cancer cases if it gets into the ground water. At least the military won't charge the people of Greenland for radioactive chemotherapy treatments, they already put it in the water.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: smurfy

Funny, I've noticed this talking point all over the place as of late. Have you guys changed the narrative, once again?

Jeez, don't tell me it's back to AGW again...or is it PAGW, (partial AGW) exacerbated by global warming causing climate change...until we are all be warmed globally at some time...maybe next year, or next century, or...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Here is some more info and a movie from an old post

ATS Post

edit on 24-8-2016 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
Here is some more info and a movie from an old post

ATS Post

Maybe they should have built the whole caboodle on a pontoon!

The thing that is amazing though is the depth of the ice sheet..nearly 2Kms.

top topics

join