It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You got a Mil Dolla's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hay. Lets put imagination work. Let's say I find a million dollars from a business friends for your project if its worthy for ATS non-bot member. The rule is the project to be beneficial for humanity and you win nothing from it when we calculate the odds and ends.

In other words I ask what you would do with million dollars if you have to spend them solely for delivering good for your fellows. Will you use them to make a movie exposing the ruling elite, will you start a protest movement against GMO companies, or something else? Bring me your genius ideas! I want to hear them, really! Give me your best, and if not me, then let the great spirit brings you millions ahead!

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Get real...one million dollars won't get you anywhere. Start up development costs plus lunch will set you back a half million then there are company cars and off site planning conferences in Bermuda...that is just to get you to the project costs.
Sorry...no deal.
Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaMeDoIt
Get real...one million dollars won't get you anywhere. Start up development costs plus lunch will set you back a half million then there are company cars and off site planning conferences in Bermuda...that is just to get you to the project costs.
Sorry...no deal.
Cheers

This mindset is why a million dollars is perceived to go nowhere. With 1 million dollars even, I could:

- purchase a 20 room hotel and run it. Assuming a "profit margin" over 5 years (until tne next property improvement is done) would be around 28%, and you ran an occupancy of 60% over that 5 year period at $125 average rate, you end up with $750k in "profit".
- purchase 6 food trucks
- establish 1-2 laundromats
- with $50k i could outfit a candy store, with another $150k i could add in high end leather goods. "General Stores" do well in tourist areas, and I suspect they'd do well in other areas where "five and dime" stores would typically thrive
- I could invest in a business partnership, like a hospitality management group
- i could establish a dozen bed and breakfasts
- open 2-3 bars, depending on the quality of service i want to target
- open a nice, fairly high end spa/salon

A million dollars, by itself, is limited in what it can do. But it can still do a lot. If you understand concepts like "capital stack" you can develop an investment plan to grow your seed money. From there, if you are daft enough to spend your money on jets and cars, then feel free to fail as a business.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'd spend most of it on drugs, booze and fast women. Then I'd squander what was left.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Build a big castle and surrounding houses surrounded by a wall and a moat for the upcoming zombie Apocalypse.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Absolutely spot on

If it was a Million GBP£ I'd buy ten low/medium end 2 bedroom flats/apartments, or small houses in cheap parts of town.
I'd rent them out at around £560 per month and maintain them myself, as that is what I do for a few major landlords.
Assume 10 months a year paid occupancy as a worst case base average, that's £56,000 a year to just fix the odd leaking tap or loose roof tile every now and then.

Property prices have risen insanely compared to wages in the UK over the last 20 odd years, I'd wait a decade or so and probably sell the lot never to work again.
Ah, to dream lol

*Edit*
Hmm, on second thoughts, capital gains tax selling the properties is a bad one, but I'd work something out I'm sure.

edit on 22.8.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'd make sure my family are first, then give some to various charity's.

Then buy a few decent flats, do them up then rent them for a fair price, wait for some years then buy large house do that up, sell it down the line and make a huge profit, go traveling around the world.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ratskin32
Free doughnuts for everyoneeee!

edit on 22-8-2016 by Lassiecat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I would purchase land, obtain a 501c and build an animal rescue and sanctuary, and I would give homeless people room and board to care for the animals. It is a plan already in the works, along with several others, but a million bucks would certainly be a huge benefit. A lot of animals and people in need could be helped with that kind of money.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'd spend most of it on drugs, booze and fast women. Then I'd squander what was left....what he said you daft numnuts..

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Hah. A million dollars to start up a company to help people?

This is what I would do:

Purchase land in several states and turn them into tumbleweed house districts. A place where people can build their own tiny home and pay less in terms of "lot rent" and turn everything around on top of the upper class. Of course I would have an income cap set in place to keep the greedy out. Which means the owners can not make more than 22,000 per year per person living there. That way no one can "capitalize" on it. Or drive rent up.

And since tiny homes are becoming a market trend it would not only create new jobs, but make life much more affordable. Especially for those who are looking to live simply.

That is what I have planned though.

Got a million dollars? Want to make this project happen? Pm me. If not... Oh well.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
mm well I would start some kind of "breeding program".. okay that sounds weird, I know, but just hear me out
I would NOT donate all my money to people who may not deserve it..
We would have about 200 humans of various nationalities.. and we would teach them generosity, compassion, honesty, loyalty, respect, and empathy. all of the worst traits of human kind would have been eliminated from their genes and they would be raised by incredibly responsible, polite, kind people. everything we have learned as a species on this incredibly wonderful perlplexing difficult planet would be used for good, and to our advantage. no wars. granted, I'm talking about taking these people to a different planet. the subjects of my breeding program and it would actually be utopic, none of the countless devastating mistakes from our societies on planet Earth.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 22-8-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Outside of paying my loans off, I'd actually like to start an apartment complex that is only for musicians: As a musician myself, I find it hard to find a place to practice in the apartments. Now, if you put a bunch of musicians in the same complex, all working similar times, and give them from 10:00am to 9:00pm to practice unmuted, I think it would make many people happy.

-foss

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Okay I apologize in advance, this is verbose blah blah that goes on forever but it seemed like you were looking for a concise idea and this is my passion so here goes...

I would use the million dollars as seed money for a creative arts organization as follows:

My Background and motivation: I am a musician, abstract artist, and writer. I love interacting with all things having to do with the arts. I come from a family of musicians, studied music at a very high level at an east coast conservatory as well as studies in Europe (I have been a violinist all my life), studied abstract painting and color theory, dabbled in developing ideas for fiction novels and screenplays, and I have worked with and taught music to children of all ages. I also have significant business experience in that I devoted 12 years to building 7 different technology start up companies, some of which were viable and some of which were not.

The Problem: For me it is alarming that less and less resources in the education system are allocated towards the arts in the United States and in my opinion it shows in society. I live in Austin, Texas, the "live music capital of the world", as well as a great deal of focus on art, theater, film, etc. ad nauseum. Yet, very few people are able to make a living, let alone thrive at their craft in the arts. I have heard people from out of town make remarks like, "Oh Austin is such a great city for art, you can buy art here so cheap..." And if you have a band or play music live, mostly you are playing for the "pass the hat" kind of take for a gig. You would think there would be a major label recording company, at least one, in the live music capital of the world, it's a farce. I have watched money evaporate from the arts programs in public schools for 20 years here. I am all for sports programs but what makes sports more important than the arts? Shouldn't there be some balance?

On a national level I am tired of the music industry mantra, it seems to me there is a filter on the pop music content. I have a hard time when I turn on the radio and there's an artist being interviewed and they're saying something like, "I'm just really happy to be able work on my art and though it's been a long road to get here, I'm just so happy with the final product and I am so thankful for everyone who has supported this project, I know it's going to reach a lot of people..." (to paraphrase, you get the idea) and then they play the current song of said artist and I'm listening to "Been around the world don't speak the language, but your booty don't need explainin'..." I'm touched, just more in a violating way than a good way. I digress, can you tell I'm angry?...hehe. Don't get me wrong, everyone should have the right to express themselves, and it's hard to say really what is art. To each their own. I want to really inspire young people to incorporate creative arts into their ongoing education and mindless twerking self aggrandizement from the disney mill pushing the party line doesn't cut it, in my humble but correct opinion.

The Solution: I would start by building a state of the art recording facility utilizing the best of the latest technology which is not only much less money in startup costs but with the right people involved you can arrive at a product much quicker and with much less money to produce it. I would also establish the right infrastructure to deliver said product, i.e. an independent record label, publishing company, artist management, etc. The idea would be to actually give the artist a good deal and provide inspired and inspiring content for society.

The next stage would be to begin multiple crowd funding efforts to grow this idea. I would start expanding by offering workshops, classes, performance ops, etc. for young artists of all ages. Trying to involve the right accomplished artists to come and donate their time and effort to inspire a younger generation. I could go into very pedantic detail but I doubt you want to read a business plan, you get the idea.

Then I would replicate this idea for visual arts, literary arts, etc. again utilizing profits from the music venture as well as ongoing crowd funding to grow this. So imagine something that could be maybe a hybrid business/educational entity. I could go as far as establishing an arts academy so to speak.

Once the idea got national attention I would begin working on a franchise infrastructure to bring localized versions of the same idea nationwide as well as establish a very rich online experience. I have endless ideas on how to build on the basic premise and could probably write a book on it if I needed to.

Bottom line is I would use the money to seed an organization that inspires society through the arts. Thanks for reading my idea if you got this far...cheers.

new topics

top topics

join