It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Doesn't Need My Distractions

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Nucleardoom

Well wishes from a gulf course? I think the federal workers that are down there with their sleeves rolled up would say differently.
Obama realizes this is not the time for grandstanding.
Trump? Hrumph...totally typical.

As opposed to showing up and showing the people that he gives a damn? How about addressing it via the media. How about some kind words? How about some support of any kind. Do you honestly think the money going to help people in LA is coming from his pocket?

"People of Louisiana... here is a few million dollars to help you out of a rut". No? Not even that?

Hell, even the IRS piped up and said "We're giving everyone who were affected by the floods more time so you can pay your taxes later in the year. Oh yeah... You're still going to pay all of it, just not on the deadline".

Like one member said... I guess our bibles and our guns are keeping them away from offering any spirit lifting, moral boosting words.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Speaking as someone who actually lives there, your opinion and observations carry more weight than anyone else.

Stay dry and keep us posted.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I feel for the folks down there. Wish there was something I could do.

It's devastating.

Just send your good vibes their way. Appreciate the thoughts.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian

Of course, let's not forget that the President of the United States has more concerns ongoing than just Louisiana and in fact, is briefed on dozens of global crisis points on an ongoing basis. Even a 'vacation' is a working one and has been for eight years now.

Emperor-In-Training Trump has nothing better to do than write tweets and fire and hire 'only the best' staffers. I hear Manafort is out, lol.

If he'd stayed home, he could have spent the same amount of money on double the supplies - two tractor trailers full instead of one! You'd think a billionaire could cough up more donations than that, especially one running for Panderer In Chief.
I hear Trump Tower is real big, fantastically big, very very big. Mr. Trump should invite all the displaced people in Louisiana to come live with him. His million dollar tenants are leaving in droves because they don't want to be associated with his name anymore but I'm sure Trump supporters will love to rub elbows with The King. So will Ivanka.

So where is the Queen of the damned with anything other than a tweet? The Clinton's have deep pockets too, but I didn't see one dollar from her for help. She couldn't be bothered by the peasant's petty problems to show up.

Trump 2016

edit on 19-8-2016 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Bill also axed the GI Bill in 1995 to balance the budget.

Do you have a source for this because I can't find anything. In 1995 there was a delay in GI Bill payments due to a government shutdown. As the GOP loves to keep saying, Clinton wasn't responsible for balancing the budget, they were. Part of this was accomplished by the Congress capping things like adjustments for inflation.

There's nothing that could reasonable be referred to as "axing the GI Bill" in 1995 (or anything similar that I could see being put on Clinton) that I could find.

However, this might interest you.

Military Times - Trump faces mounting attacks on veterans issues

Trump’s campaign did not directly respond to either attack, but the candidate did appear on CNN again Monday morning to defend his policies toward veterans.

I don't want to be hurting our vets,” he said. “We treat illegal immigrants better than we treat our vets. So I'm going to do nothing to hurt our vets. I'm going to only help our vets.”

He also accused Clinton of thinking that veterans “are getting too much,” but said he did not support current efforts by veterans groups to keep GI Bill benefit funding from being moved into other veterans programs.

Instead, he promised “to bring jobs back to our country” and shifted questions to how free trade deals have hurt the American economy.

So he accused Clinton of something she apparently never said or even insinuated but as he's saying how much he doesn't want to "hurt veterans" he also said the above. That's talking out both sides of his giant orange blowhole.

Unless of course you think that Military News is also part of this great left-wing media conspiracy against Donald Trump that his supporters believe in?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Bill also axed the GI Bill in 1995 to balance the budget.

Do you have a source for this because I can't find anything. In 1995 there was a delay in GI Bill payments due to a government shutdown. As the GOP loves to keep saying, Clinton wasn't responsible for balancing the budget, they were. Part of this was accomplished by the Congress capping things like adjustments for inflation.

There's nothing that could reasonable be referred to as "axing the GI Bill" in 1995 (or anything similar that I could see being put on Clinton) that I could find.

However, this might interest you.

Military Times - Trump faces mounting attacks on veterans issues

Trump’s campaign did not directly respond to either attack, but the candidate did appear on CNN again Monday morning to defend his policies toward veterans.

I don't want to be hurting our vets,” he said. “We treat illegal immigrants better than we treat our vets. So I'm going to do nothing to hurt our vets. I'm going to only help our vets.”

He also accused Clinton of thinking that veterans “are getting too much,” but said he did not support current efforts by veterans groups to keep GI Bill benefit funding from being moved into other veterans programs.

Instead, he promised “to bring jobs back to our country” and shifted questions to how free trade deals have hurt the American economy.

So he accused Clinton of something she apparently never said or even insinuated but as he's saying how much he doesn't want to "hurt veterans" he also said the above. That's talking out both sides of his giant orange blowhole.

Unless of course you think that Military News is also part of this great left-wing media conspiracy against Donald Trump that his supporters believe in?

I will find the Marine Corp article on her trying to become a fake Marine but it will take me time. Before the internet. Not even sure where to go to be honest. It's a niche magazine.

Funny thing though, I found the stuff on him cutting the GI Bill easily a few years ago online. Now it seems impossible to find but I will find it.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I'm still looking but I think you're probably misremembering some things. The person you should want to punch in the face most is probably Newt Gingrich and maybe even John Kasich.

Baltimore Sun - Veterans brace for impact of budget cuts (1995)

WASHINGTON -- The nation's 26 million military veterans -- 541,000 of them in Maryland -- are fighting a new battle, this time to defend their health and benefit programs against attack by Republican congressional budget-cutters. It is an uphill campaign in a penny-pinched era when almost all federal programs are under assault and a dwindling corps of legislators on Capitol Hill have military experience -- a traditional cornerstone of support for veterans. The proposed cuts would freeze all construction and modernization of facilities for veterans, and make medical treatment more difficult to obtain and more expensive for some veterans.

The GOP blueprint also could force the closing of 35 veterans hospitals and reduce programs to help veterans find work.

"It's devastating," said Frank C. Buxton of the American Legion, the nation's largest veterans' organization, with 3.1 million pTC members. "I don't know any other word you could use."

But Bruce Cuthbertson, spokesman for Rep. John R. Kasich, an Ohio Republican who chairs the House Budget Committee, said veterans had not been singled out in the GOP drive to balance the budget by 2002.

"We looked at every area of the government for savings except one," said Mr. Cuthbertson. "We said we would not touch Social Security, and we did not touch Social Security.

"We don't feel we have asked veterans to take any disproportionate share of the burden."

Are you seeing what happened here yet?

The impact of the Republican cuts -- according to the Department of Veterans Affairs and advocacy groups -- could include:

* Reduced GI Bill benefits, with the cost-of-living adjustment for programs halved. This would make it harder for veterans to afford educational courses.

Give that a quick read and then maybe this:

Daily Press - Balanced-budget Deal Ignores School Benefits For Veterans (1997)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Just a minor stop between rallies to show support and solidarity to the people of Louisiana, while also bringing attention to the crisis. This "photo op" is more than both Hilary and Obama combined have done to those affected by this crisis.

Not to mention he also donated an 18-wheeler full of supplies.
edit on 19-8-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

So where is the Queen of the damned with anything other than a tweet? The Clinton's have deep pockets too, but I didn't see one dollar from her for help. She couldn't be bothered by the peasant's petty problems to show up.

Ask the people of Haiti how the Clintons have helped them in their time of need. I think you can find some still protesting outside Hilary's office.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I'm still looking but I think you're probably misremembering some things. The person you should want to punch in the face most is probably Newt Gingrich and maybe even John Kasich.

Baltimore Sun - Veterans brace for impact of budget cuts (1995)

WASHINGTON -- The nation's 26 million military veterans -- 541,000 of them in Maryland -- are fighting a new battle, this time to defend their health and benefit programs against attack by Republican congressional budget-cutters. It is an uphill campaign in a penny-pinched era when almost all federal programs are under assault and a dwindling corps of legislators on Capitol Hill have military experience -- a traditional cornerstone of support for veterans. The proposed cuts would freeze all construction and modernization of facilities for veterans, and make medical treatment more difficult to obtain and more expensive for some veterans.

The GOP blueprint also could force the closing of 35 veterans hospitals and reduce programs to help veterans find work.

"It's devastating," said Frank C. Buxton of the American Legion, the nation's largest veterans' organization, with 3.1 million pTC members. "I don't know any other word you could use."

But Bruce Cuthbertson, spokesman for Rep. John R. Kasich, an Ohio Republican who chairs the House Budget Committee, said veterans had not been singled out in the GOP drive to balance the budget by 2002.

"We looked at every area of the government for savings except one," said Mr. Cuthbertson. "We said we would not touch Social Security, and we did not touch Social Security.

"We don't feel we have asked veterans to take any disproportionate share of the burden."

Are you seeing what happened here yet?

The impact of the Republican cuts -- according to the Department of Veterans Affairs and advocacy groups -- could include:

* Reduced GI Bill benefits, with the cost-of-living adjustment for programs halved. This would make it harder for veterans to afford educational courses.

Give that a quick read and then maybe this:

Daily Press - Balanced-budget Deal Ignores School Benefits For Veterans (1997)

I remember it well. He was President and my GI Bill was cut in 1995. That was under his watch and he let it happen. He didn't try to fight for Veterans and take it off the table. Does not matter who proposed what, he signed off on it, his signature. Same with NAFTA. He signed it. Nobody forced him to do it. It was a clear choice and he made it.

What you are talking about is semantics of who proposed what. I'm talking about who signed what that authorized it. Proposers don't authorize anything.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

One can think what they'd like...that's just speculation. I know hillary doesn't care because she shows it with her words and actions...see the difference...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: reldra

It's all about look at me ...
Why do these guys think this is a different trump. There's only one.
The I my me mine Trump.
Always...

Your personal opinions aren't making much of an argument for you here. Once again... It goes beyond what you're zoning in on.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Wow, what a bunch of moronic drivel from some folks here. No good deed goes unpunished I see.

I thought this was a real classy move on the part of the Donald. It shows compassion and solidarity with the folks that are going through some rough times.

I am willing to bet that he made a real difference with the people he met with. I'm sure he also made an impression even on people he didn't meet.

My heart goes out to Louisiana. It wasn't long ago that Texas was in the same boat.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Obama shamed into action by Trump!

Obama Announces Plans to Visit Louisiana After Donald Trump Leads the Way
www.breitbart.com...

A day late and a dollar short, as usual.

Obama...Leading from behind again.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

But he and his team had time for this:

Obama irks La. flood victims with memo warning them not to discriminate

In a 16-page guidance issued Tuesday, the Obama administration, led by the Justice Department, warned Louisiana recipients of federal disaster assistance against engaging in “unlawful discrimination on the basis

“[E]verywhere you look you can find black folks and white folks loving on each other, helping each other through this crisis,” Mr. Dreher said in a Thursday post.

He referred to the guidance as a “long bureaucratic memo” issued by the “Department of Justice and many other agencies of the executive branch overseen by He Who Cannot Be Troubled to Leave Martha’s Vineyard.”

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: intrptr

Yah, huh. Trump is down there putting on a show, at least.

Hillary won't even do a Bush style flyby. Maybe she'll send a double.

Hillary did a Tweetby.

#RebuildOurHomes ... I'm sure she can be an activist just Michelle.

In her next speech, I'm sure she'll talk about how she'll appoint a bipartisan commission of the very best disaster recovery experts in congress to study the problem and pass a Rebuild Lousiana Bill as soon as possible or maybe tack it on to her massive infrastructure stimulus she is proposing ... you know ... because those people need help! Stat!
edit on 19-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm just going to focus on this part of your post, others have already eloquently voiced the obvious on my behalf in regards to the candidates roll-call in Louisiana.

If Louisiana natives know one thing it this... If you turn your back on us when we need you, we won't bother with you when you need us. Sure, we're forgiving and this isn't true when someone is genuinely in need of help because we ARE a giving people. I say this as not only a native but a 100% natural born Cajun from the deepest parts of Cajun country.

Forgiving is only one trait, there is also humility and genuine respect. You see, I have mentioned here previously that I know really really good Americans - just absolutely inspiring and each time I visit New Orleans (and surrounds), the proverbial red carpet is rolled out, my favourite gumbo is dished up to my daily desire and I get to go fishing with rednecks and show them how real men generate hangovers.

One particular woman comes to mind and she is almost like a drug to the community she represents, unbelievably generous to the point that I tell her she appears to suffer from a unique form of obsessive compulsion where she must help others, always - constantly. She cooks my gumbo too and...and it is The Bomb, I have never tasted food like it before. She would, and I giggle as I say this, she would absolutely destroy Trump and Hills if she got just 1 minute air time so everyone can see her and hear her voice and likewise be genuinely impressed.

I could write little snippets all day describing the various Americans I've met and who have become a very important part of my and my familys lives.

This is the America I fell in love with, these are the Americans that I know exist in great abundance.

The folks in N.O and Louisiana have done it hard, they are battle-hardened in that regard, their resolve cannot be broken.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Trump didn't just raise spirits by showing support. He actually donated an 18 wheeler packed full of supplies.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
Thank you kind sir for your tender words about Americans. I feel the same way. In our community, you'd encounter about 98% of the population being happy and nice to one another. Yeah, we have some unhappy folk with issues but they're everywhere. That's just life.
However, when a crisis arises, our community has always come together in mutual aid. We also have a tradition of reaching out to help others in crisis. A local pastor has a brother in the affected area so he put out a call for help and within 24 hours had a semi-trailer filled. Tomorrow the local Farmers' Market will be sponsoring another semi-trailer to be filled with bottled water and cleaning supplies. A local trucking firm is supplying the trailers, drivers and gas for the deliveries. With the private donations people don't have to fill out forms, just show up and pick up what they need.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

No, Obama has never really cared for states that didn't vote for him. There was that massive ice storm in Kentucky ... never showed up or acknowledged it. Grand Ole Opry flooded out in Nashville ... never showed up or acknowledged it. Had to be drug down to survey the Deep Horizon damage. Did his best to impede efforts against wild fires in Texas.

If your state voted red, as far as he's concerned, you might as well be dead.

But if your kid took a bomb-like clock to school ... boy, the White House is callin' you!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join