It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't christians follow the laws of Leviticus and kill homosexuals, adulterers, etc.?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

That is a bit more complicated. It's not about forgiving the person for something they had no control over, it's about forgiving the circumstances that gave rise to it in the first place. It's understanding, it's wisdom, and it's love.

We should all be forgiving first and asking questions later, that's how Christ acted, even though he clearly had the understanding and wisdom as well. We, in most cases, do not. I want to apologize on Ketsuko's behalf because of the damage they might cause for their lack of love and understanding. It's a sad world we live in.
edit on 20-8-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: enterthestage

Not true. There was a prohibition in the Torah about doing cures on the Sabbath but he broke it.

Can you cite the passage about healing the sick on the Sabbath? Because that came from the oral law of the Pharisees.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Leviticus, and any and all religious teachings are merely mans interpretation of what they believe is the Word of God. Doesn't make it so. If it were actually the word of God, from his mouth to our ears, there wouldn't be any need for the various sects, creeds, and other nonsense that has caused so much wanton destruction.

This ^ bears repeating.
For truth.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: seagull

Leviticus, and any and all religious teachings are merely mans interpretation of what they believe is the Word of God. Doesn't make it so. If it were actually the word of God, from his mouth to our ears, there wouldn't be any need for the various sects, creeds, and other nonsense that has caused so much wanton destruction.

This ^ bears repeating.
For truth.

I agree. It's all utter BS.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thank you for your reply... can you please tell me where in the bible you got this information from? Book, chapter, and verse, please?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jefwane
You can tell that the Law had been fulfilled by events after the Resurrection..

So what about the part of the verse that says "until heaven and earth disappear"?

I don't know about heaven but earth is still here.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: craig732
Leviticus is the word of God. According to who? Did God come down and speak to the compilers of the Old Testament as though they were Moses on the mountain? I doubt it.

Excellent point; one of the main points I am trying to make. It still does not explain though why followers of the bible choose to follow some of the rules but not others.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

This is an excellent point, but it does not really answer my question entirely.

For example, look at the clerk that refused to issue marriage licenses to gay people because it was against her religious beliefs.

She chose to ignore secular law, and went to jail for it. But she doesn't follow all the laws of the bible.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=21147394]Aedaeum
That is NOT the way of the Father, that is the way of men. They wanted it and so they got it.

So why is it in the bible?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No, I am trying to understand why christians follow some parts of the bible but ignore other parts. Like the verse I asked about in my original post. It directly contradicts the verse you posted.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

And that is one of the points I am trying to make with my question.

How can you follow a book that has serious contradictions like that in it? How do you know what your god wants and what he does not want?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum

That is a bit more complicated. It's not about forgiving the person for something they had no control over, it's about forgiving the circumstances that gave rise to it in the first place. It's understanding, it's wisdom, and it's love.

We should all be forgiving first and asking questions later, that's how Christ acted, even though he clearly had the understanding and wisdom as well. We, in most cases, do not. I want to apologize on Ketsuko's behalf because of the damage they might cause for their lack of love and understanding. It's a sad world we live in.

Why apologize for me?

It's the truth. Everyone is a sinner: you, me, and the gays too. Did you think I was making specific reference to anything? I'm sure Mario was.

But all the sexual stuff aside, gays still sin just like you and me. And it is still not our place to forgive them anything. The ultimate forgiveness from sin is God's and His alone. It's not enough to gain forgiveness from someone here on earth if you don't have God's forgiveness too.

Yes, there is the forgiveness on the level of our day to day not holding a grudge and that kind of forgiveness, but I was referring to the bit about being reconciled to God and salvation, and that is not any man's to confer. Only God can do that.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: GailNot

So why was it included in a bible that is meant for all christians? Kind of confusing, no? And how is it no longer in effect (for the people of Israel, as you state) if the earth still exists? ("until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished"

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: craig732
No, I am trying to understand why christians follow some parts of the bible but ignore other parts.

Perhaps the best answer is that they are following the parts that are good and ignoring the parts that are bad, such as the stoning of adulterers.It's called discernment. I take it you would approve of this policy. Or why would you not approve?

edit on 20-8-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: craig732

Leviticus is addressed to Levite priests.

So why include it in the bible for everyone? Kind of confusing, no?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

the damage they might cause for their lack of love and understanding.

The damage has already been caused. It is now thriving in many areas of the US, and it continues to be spread around every day......
a vile, virulent, and contagious (to those with weakened immune systems of the mind) infection.

It's a sad world we live in.

Indeed. Quite.
Yet, they will merely punt your apology back, cloaked in cognitive dissonance and self-righteous indoctrination (all of which was very unfortunately imprinted into their young minds since before they can remember...... it's tragic, really).

edit on 8/20/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thank you for calling my thread interesting

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We're not discussing salvation, that is irrelevant to the topic in the OP. We are discussing levitical law and why it should or shouldn't apply. Please stay on topic.

For the sake of reference, in regards to your assertions about forgiveness: No, it actually IS entirely our duty to forgive one another in order that we walk in Christs footsteps. By forgiving, we are blessing those around us. "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do" If that statement had no weight to it, there would have been no reason to express it.
edit on 20-8-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
a reply to: ketsuko

We're not discussing salvation, that is irrelevant to the topic in the OP. We are discussing levitical law and why it should or shouldn't apply. Please stay on topic.

Levitical Law was fulfilled by Christ.

Mario was the one who brought up forgiveness.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: craig732
I know that most people will say that Jesus formed a new covenant and made the old laws obsolete.

But that view clearly contradicts Matthew 5:17-18:
17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

So, keeping can anyone explain why they choose to follow certain parts of the bible, but ignore the laws that instruct you to kill a bunch of people, when Matthew 5:17-18 clearly states that the “old laws” are still in effect?
well now
Just omit the aspect of sodomy as abb element of kundalini kindling

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join