It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't christians follow the laws of Leviticus and kill homosexuals, adulterers, etc.?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
In one line (in the OT) it says kill homosexuals, and on another it says 'thou shalt not kill'. Thats not confusing.

Its like w extreme practices like chopping the hands off of people that steal. Like a starving kid who steals an apple gets his hands chopped off.

That ruthless/merciless stuff come from acquainted regions and cultures - from a violent time with violent histories.
edit on 19-8-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
In one line (in the OT) it says kill homosexuals, and on another it says 'thou shalt not kill'. Thats not confusing.

Its like w extreme practices like chopping the hands off of people that steal. Like a starving kid who steals an apple gets his hands chopped off.

That ruthless/merciless stuff come from acquainted regions and cultures - from a violent time with violent histories.

The law to kill homosexuals was written to the Levitie priests and applicable to the children of Israel. It says so right in the first few verses of the book..

"And the LORD called unto Moses, and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them,"

Leviticus 1:1-2

And the law in the 10 comandments in Hebrew doesn't say thou shalt not kill, it says thou shalt not murder. The Hebrew word used there is about murder, killing an innocent person. God was never against capital punishment, and in fact He says that if a person sheds innocent blood then their own blood will be shed by man.

You gotta look at the context of verses or else you'll come away with wacky ideas.

edit on 8 19 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

So because there are those that don't understand the bible and don't believe in forgiveness

Forgiveness ?

So you feel gay people need to be forgiven for something ? That's your reasoning...that Christians dont kill homosexuals because they forgave them for being gay ?

Oh my...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Let's get this correct.

It's an old 2000 year old book that was written by humans, for the people in charge to enslave the gullible/weak minded.

Now a day's it's just a praying platform for those that believe in God and Jesus, nothing wrong with that at all, until people believe everything it says and that is your enslavement from real reality.

Probably missed something, chime in if you want.
edit on 19-8-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

Don't get me wrong i believe in God/higher power but the god i know don't care if read his book/or Bible, ie, pages will always fall apart but real belief doesn't come from page's.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Let's get this correct.

It's an old 2000 year old book that was written by humans, for the people in charge to enslave the gullible/weak minded.

Now a day's it's just a praying platform for those that believe in God and Jesus, nothing wrong with that at all, until people believe everything it says and that is your enslavement from real reality.

Of course not! It frees all men and women. It is indeed the inspired word of Almighty God Jehovah.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: GailNot

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Let's get this correct.

Of course not! It frees all men and women. It is indeed the inspired word of Almighty God Jehovah.

Lol thought so, I must have missed something :-)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: craig732
I know that most people will say that Jesus formed a new covenant and made the old laws obsolete.

But that view clearly contradicts Matthew 5:17-18:
17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

So, keeping can anyone explain why they choose to follow certain parts of the bible, but ignore the laws that instruct you to kill a bunch of people, when Matthew 5:17-18 clearly states that the “old laws” are still in effect?

#1 Christians usually don't know it but when Jesus says Law he is saying Torah, the 5 books formerly attributed to Moses also called the Pentateuch. The Prophets are the other books of the Old Covenant.

This matters because all he is saying is the Torah and Tanakh will not pass but the two most important commandments (love God, neighbor) are fulfilling the Torah as the Law/Torah and Prophets (Tanakh) are built on Love.

In other words people take the Bible as literal events when they are stories that have inner teachings and meanings and obsessing over 613+10 laws or commandments is what has destroyed people because of misinterpreting the scriptures.

He came and set the record straight by teaching how scripture should be read. That is, as you would a parable, having a literal simple message and a deeper not-for all-people teaching that is superior to the literal. Inner and outer meanings are a constant in the Bible and that is how you read it.
edit on 19-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: craig732

So unless you are a Hebrew and a part of the Abrahamic Covenant you never had a share in the Israelites Covenant and weren't bound by Torah/Law. Even the first Roman converts were not burdened by James and Peter, the Jewish faction allowed conversion without heavy burdens and 4 codes of conduct (that are dismissed by Paul as for the weak spiritually) are the only thing James asks of the Roman converts to the Way.

Paul was a rabid Anti-Semite, if you read his epistles it is very obvious (and mind blowing that people don't read them) he is the arch nemesis of James and his probable murderer.

And Christians just love the guy.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

S&F Well written

Love one another - pretty simple

edit on 19-8-2016 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: craig732
I know that most people will say that Jesus formed a new covenant and made the old laws obsolete.

So, keeping can anyone explain why they choose to follow certain parts of the bible, but ignore the laws that instruct you to kill a bunch of people, when Matthew 5:17-18 clearly states that the “old laws” are still in effect?

The laws are in effect ... if you are a Jew. It's clearly stated the laws of the Jews are not to be put on the gentiles.

Act 15:10
Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear?

Act 15:19
“It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God.

Act 15:20
Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

edit on 19-8-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Jesus is the last sin offering any need make under the fulfillment of the Old Testament Law. Any who reject Him in my understanding still live under the old rules which mean they will be judged in the full harshness. God's standard is perfection, and if you don't accept that sacrifice that was made on your behalf, then you cannot be reconciled with your sins, be forgiven.

And I know there is always the old "Get Out of Sin Free Card" accusation, but there is a big difference between simply mouthing the words and believing and understanding them, letting them work in your life.

There is a reference to the lukeworm who will call His name and be spit out. Well, whom do you think they are? My guess would the Sunday morning crowd and those like them. But in the end we'll all see. Won't we?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: Aedaeum

So because there are those that don't understand the bible and don't believe in forgiveness

Forgiveness ?

So you feel gay people need to be forgiven for something ? That's your reasoning...that Christians dont kill homosexuals because they forgave them for being gay ?

Oh my...

It's not our place to forgive gays anything. That's for God.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I think there are some that would but thankfully they know the rest of us wouldn't stand for it.

remember pastor kevin swanson. he thinks it should be criminalized at the very least because he thinks homosexuals destroy society. he had a rally last year and several of our presidential candidates were there, including ted cruz.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
I think there are some that would but thankfully they know the rest of us wouldn't stand for it.

remember pastor kevin swanson. he thinks it should be criminalized at the very least because he thinks homosexuals destroy society. he had a rally last year and several of our presidential candidates were there, including ted cruz.

Whether they would or not the Bible is clear those laws are not for gentiles.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No need for forgiveness when he can rain down God's judgment like in the good ol' days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Ah...those were good times eh ?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

originally posted by: Matrixsurvivor

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
dude that's excellent ,.. original thought....a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

Thanks, lol. Oh, and I'm a dudette.
hey

do you have any idea that post of yours should I swear be a " sticky "....the best display of cerebral horsepower ever seen in the religion forum

Thanks. I'm usually ticking people off, lol. Nice to know I said something profound to someone.

edit...radio edit....would it be ok if I tell my friends I came up with that??.....he...he

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So, you actually want Christians to act like Muslims?

That's so ironic.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

He did not make the old Law's Obsolete he fullfilled the law, what he did was make it so that we live under the grace of his blood which he has made on our behalf as an atonement (fulfillment of the law) sacrifice by being the innocent that took our place and paid for our sin's (BUT we have to be repentant).

edit on 19-8-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: GailNot

Hmmm . I always thought the Romans put Jesus to death .

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Let me make this SIMPLE for you. Because GENTILES are not HEBREWS. THAT was Specific to HEBREWS and people living IN ISRAEL or that area at the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join