It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't christians follow the laws of Leviticus and kill homosexuals, adulterers, etc.?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: GailNot

These are my thoughts through experience, not by scripture alone..
Why do people make things so complicated. I don't worry myself about the law and who said what to whom.
I live my life with a relationship with Jesus and He is my guide..
Being a christian is so simple. Jesus doesn't make it hard for people. He just ask's that you invite him into your life..

people come on here not ever knowing Jesus but think that they have all the answers through just reading scripture alone... that is just a very small part of being a christian, the rest they have no clue about because they have no personal experience with him... Would i tell a mechanic how to fix my car because i have read the manual. NO, so why do none believers try to tell christians what it's all about..

People need to get to church and find out first hand but they won't because it's far easier to sit behind a keyboard and spout off about things that they know nothing about... Go on, give it a go..

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: GailNot

originally posted by: Akragon

Its basically Strength/Logic Vs Emotion/intellect

two different planets

What are you trying to prove poor woman? Don't you see this OP has nothing to do with what you are taking about?

wait did you just call me a chick?

LOL

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I'm not saying put down scripture literally... I am saying put it down for a moment and find out about christ by getting out into the world. Visit a church, ask questions, see what is really going on out there..

link   
a reply to: jon1

People need to get to church and find out first hand but they won't because it's far easier to sit behind a keyboard and spout off about things that they know nothing about... Go on, give it a go..

even though most people that prefer to learn, actually learn more behind said keyboard...

link   

originally posted by: jon1

These are my thoughts through experience, not by scripture alone..
Why do people make things so complicated. I don't worry myself about the law and who said what to whom.
I live my life with a relationship with Jesus and He is my guide..
Being a christian is so simple. Jesus doesn't make it hard for people. He just ask's that you invite him into your life..

people come on here not ever knowing Jesus but think that they have all the answers through just reading scripture alone... that is just a very small part of being a christian, the rest they have no clue about because they have no personal experience with him... Would i tell a mechanic how to fix my car because i have read the manual. NO, so why do none believers try to tell christians what it's all about..

This is what God says:

(Proverbs 3:5-7) . . .Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding.  6 In all your ways take notice of him, And he will make your paths straight.  7 Do not become wise in your own eyes. Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad.

Yes, trust in Him. In Jehovah. He is the one that has sayings for everlasting life. Not you yourself. If you would try to trust in your own understanding you would be just like the rest of the world, with so much violence, death and destruction as a result.

Do not put Jehovah to the test. But his words can read your heart.

(Hebrews 4:12) For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Holy Scripture is not only God's saying on matters. It is a mirror into your heart. To refuse it is to refuse life.

To think you can know God apart from his Scripture is against God's teachings of truth, and thus false.

You are not true. God is true. His word is the basis for all truth and falsehood.

Since you have been spewing falsehood against his Holy Scripture do not think you will find success.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Sorry people.. seems that i am talking a tad off topic here..
It's easy to get led astray when on such a subject.
john..

Edited for grammar..
edit on 26-8-2016 by jon1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I'm not saying put down scripture literally... I am saying put it down for a moment and find out about christ by getting out into the world. Visit a church, ask questions, see what is really going on out there..

Never tell anyone to put down the truth of scripture. Just saying this means you understand very little.

Do not imagine what I have been through. Because you do not. I can tell you I have been through more than most people can understand.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

WHAT, Do you sit down all your time reading scripture, never do anything else.. do you read it while eating your meals..
don't take everything so literally.. Neither am i talking about the TRUTH of scripture...

I sympathise with what you have had to go through whatever it is. I to have had my problems in life. A stroke, cancer, abdominal aortal aneurism repair, loss of short term memory and others and i thank God that i am still here..

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

(To think you can know God apart from his Scripture is against God's teachings of truth, and thus false. )..

Why do people twist my words... I know God through the scripture AND by my personal relationship with him..
If you think that scripture is the only way to know God then you don't know what you are talking about and it is you who are spewing falsehood to others..

I give up sometimes..Sigh..

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: enterthestage

And like a typical apologist you seek ways to reinterpret the truth as if it weren't all true. Barnabas did side with Peter and you are so miffed that I disclosed it you come running to his defense with "the whole story" as if it changes what I said. It doesn't, Barnabas did ditch Paul.

I can't let you get away with that inference that Paul is a scoundrel. Yes you are correct in that Barnabas did ditch Paul and I want you to remember that it was not that Paul ditched Barnabas. But as usual you will not tell the whole truth but only as much as fits into your dishonesty.

After Barnabas parted fellowship with Paul over his cousin's failed attempt at evangelizing it seems that he did join Cephas (Peter) who was his brother in law. The reason for this move is suspected as anger on Barnabas' behalf and not Paul. Why?

The reason why is suspected by NT scholars as being that Peter's wife (Mary) and Peter were the parents of John Mark. To be more clear it is believed by some scholars that John Mark was Peter's son and that it was nepotisim at its very core.

John Mark was very immature either mentally or physically for evangelizing the heathens. It was a very hard and dangerous undertaking at this time and under those conditions. Mark was the cousin of Barnabas who in turn was the brother in law of Cephus (Peter). As the Apostles were teamed together by two men to a team it did not include John Mark. The teams were selected by drawing lots.

Once again here are the teams in 48 CE.

Thomas and Bartholomew were allotted to the care of
the east.

Simon and Matthew to the south.

Philip and Thaddaeus to the north.

Matthew and James to the centre of the world (" Medium
mundi").

John and Andrew to the provinces of the Mediterranean,

Peter and Paul to the kingdoms of the West.

As you can see, Peter's son [John Mark] is not mentioned to team with the others. He was not qualified for this tour at this time. Now during this era it was Paul who invited Barnabas to tour a certain area. It was that Barnabas then wanted John Mark to go with them on this one particular tour. This was the reason that John Mark was then adopted by Paul to team with Paul and Barnabas.

It is greatly suspected that the tour was too much for Peter’s son, John Mark, and John Mark then returned to Jerusalem.
It was but three years later that Paul asked Barnabas to re tour their first tour but rejected taking John Mark along. Here is where John Mark’s cousin Barnabas had a tizzy with Paul. It was nepotism at the very best. Paul said no and Barnabas said yes and Barnabas pouted and joined his brother in law Peter who then took his son, John Mark, under his wing.

Now when you read this story you should realize that Barnabas' tizzy with Paul was not connected with the teams of two by two where Peter and Paul were a team. The reason I show that John Mark was not in the lots of teams is to only show that John Mark was not qualified for evangelizing. I suspect that he was not strong enough for the rugged hardship required and I believe that is the reason he quit his post with Paul. Regardless, it was not Paul who was angry but the Cephus clan that was angry.

It was a family squabble which Paul then tried to heal with little results. And it was not the only squabble that Paul had with Peter. Peter was pretty double minded even during the trial and death of Jesus and that was a good five years before Paul’s conversion. Peter was known for unruliness long before he and his brother in law Barnabas joined the Nazarene James.

No one is perfect and most certainly this story shows that very well but it is not as you have inferred. You have led people astray from the entire truth of the matter. The entire affair was the fault of a young son who quit his post and his cousin [Barnabas] and his daddy [Peter] didn’t want to address his fault. It was pure nepotisim and nothing more. Yes Barnabas did get mad and go to his brother in law and all three bashed Paul because they did not get their way but that did not deter Paul one bit. Paul was beholding to no man nor their family squabbles nor to their congregation. His business was commissioned by his Creator and not relatives.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

But not spiritually they don't. you will never find God sat at a keyboard.
I know what you mean though but you need to be with people that have the faith to learn what and why they believe..

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

But not spiritually they don't. you will never find God sat at a keyboard.
I know what you mean though but you need to be with people that have the faith to learn what and why they believe..

Likewise, God isn't in church...

The only thing one can learn at said building is whatever the pastor chooses to teach

And personally i've found the best way to learn about any religion is without someone looking over your shoulder telling you what things mean.... OR what one should believe

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

It is such a shame that you have not met God/holy spirit in church. The churches that i have attended have had some great things going on. The teaching is just a small part of the meeting..

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: GailNot

Its basically Strength/Logic Vs Emotion/intellect

two different planets

What are you trying to prove poor woman? Don't you see this OP has nothing to do with what you are taking about?

wait did you just call me a chick?

LOL

You should quote the most revered Spongebob Squarepants: "am I a pretty girl"?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I don't know what to do with that statement

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Always agree with what others say about you... especially if it is untrue.

When someone call you a degenerate, confess to something worse and wink.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Always agree with what others say about you... especially if it is untrue.

When someone call you a degenerate, confess to something worse and wink.

holy crap lol

Who are these people... and why haven't we talked?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
it is said whoever sheds the blood of man by man shall his blood be shed.
Thats one reason not to kill them,

A kind of cosmic karma almost.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: craig732

Good question: "Why don't we who believe the Bible exercise the teachings of Leviticus?" It's not just "putting homosexuals and adulterers to death," but there are many other equally difficult teachings. First off, do we take any laws in our culture literally? No...really. What about posted speed limits? When it says 55 how many of you drive 55? Huh? Then there's cultural dynamics, i.e., each generation takes the same laws and torques them to suit the times. And what about changes in food production, medicine, governing practices and technology? Aren't these all in flux? So,we can eat pork and shell fish now and not die...well, most of the time...but Leviticus says "No." If you look into it, every law or proclamation of the Bible has a context. Should homosexuals be killed? Of course not, but homosexuals do not produce offspring. This was big in ancient Israel. They needed the people, so, anything that interfered with that was a capital offense. God has His law, and His law is given for the health, well-being, and survival of mankind. When you read the Bible through, you can see this, and as mentioned, man's the prosecutor, not God. And by the way...that's the problem with Shariah.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The "love thy neighbor" part isn't the part that bothers me, although MANY christians don't follow that. So there is a great example... why does a christian justify his hate of homosexuals by saying "the bible says it is an abomination" but they don't follow the law to love thy neighbor?

But my questions stands... why follow this book at all? Especially if you have to read through the whole thing and make decisions on what is good, what is bad, what is mistranslated, what are instructions for you and what are instructions for Levite priests, etc. Why not just say, "I love my neighbor, and I believe in a creator" instead of associating one's self with a book full of confusion and hatred toward certain groups?

edit on 27-8-2016 by craig732 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join