It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran $400 million was ransom says state department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
hosted.ap.org... c/stories/U/US_APNEWSALERT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-08-18-15-38-54

State Dept. says $400 million cash payment to Iran was contingent on American prisoners' release.

Is this new?

And how dangerous is this if it is a new policy? Dollars for hostages/prisoners seems like a bad idea.
edit on 18-8-2016 by seasonal because: fat fingers

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

we all knew it. Its nice to see the official story trails behind the public knowledge base so as to hide what doesnt get noticed.

Looks like hostigaes will be taken now at an increasing rate.

EDIT,

Bad link in OP

edit on 8 18 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
At least Reagan waited a while before selling all those weapons to Iran.
Things have definitely picked up speed since the good old 80's.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Good god the Obama administration is continually making colossal missteps...

This is bad....Epically bad...

I guess I ought to be happy he took time between golf rounds to comment on biblical floods overwhelming my neighbor state Louisiana… that's how low the bar has become for President Obama...
But since it's not a Republican in this White House the media is not reporting on it...let alone blaming George W Bush and FEMA...

Seriously, the Obama Administration is successfully making me long for the Carter years… And that's no small task…
This payout for hostages and the Admin's arrogance in telling us the two were not related in spite of them happening on the same day was and is utterly preposterous...
The really disturbing part is that the media did not conflate his actions with paying a ransom...

Though what can I expect from the mainstream media any more when it has become an extension of the Obama Administrations PR department chocked full of 27 year old millennials with zero historical context from which to draw their "reporting"...
In fact, an Obama top administration admitted to this very "sea change" as he put it...

Anyhow, words cannot adequately express my total and complete contempt for both the Obama Aministration and their treachery....with approval from a fawning media unable to report the truth because their progressivism blinds them to it..

-Christosterone
edit on 18-8-2016 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

This is bad....Epically bad...

Only if anyone who could do something about it actually cared. Just another day.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
yea, im sure ats users know something people in the government dont.

or we would be able to solve all of crisis around the world according to this forum.

i wonder if they let them die would it be a new low for this admin and they would be more anti whatever,
there is no right, nor will there ever be another black for pres.
it was the perfect setup letting obama win right after bush.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well, it is bad for a couple of reasons but not as bad as you would think. It is bad because we just finished making a colossal deal with Iran with zero in return for us and the prisoner release should have been a non-negotiable factor in THAT deal, and now the admin turns around and makes this deal for a large chunk of cash. But it is not that bad of an issue because this admin is on the way out the door. And even if HilLIARy is elected, there is still the appearance of a change in admin where policy can change whether we payoff hostage takers.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
To reduce double-posting, see this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

So ...

We paid a country, for the return of our people, with their own money from an old arms deal we reniged on in the first place.

Sounds to me like some body need to take a class in negotiating.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Well see although we know alot...we dont have the POWER to CHANGE alot or anything at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Wow they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and still lie about it. Then they come back and say, yep we had our hand in the cookie jar. My question is ....who is dumber us or them?
Bet we don't get an apology anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'd like to see every member that stated that it wasn't ransom come on this thread and apologize.

I'd also like a unicorn that poops gold coins.

Guess which one I'll see first.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're gonna be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

So this is what im getting out of this. Before the government of Iran was overthrown by its current government, Iran paid something like 1.2 billion for arms from the US. The coup occurred shortly there after so none of the weapons ever made it to Iran, even though the money to pay was sent.

The current government of Iran has been demanding their money back ever since.

I think they are using that scenario to hide the "ransom". Pay the ransom and sell it by saying its money owed to the Iranian government and the timing was a coincidence.

In other news another American has been arrested and charged... wait for it... in Iran.

edit on 18-8-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Trump said this a couple weeks ago and everyone said he was full of crap, hmmm wonder how many piles of crow the detractors are having today?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Why didn't we pay them back 100%?

Or is this in 3 easy installments?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Huh? We don't those nut bags in iran a nickel. As far as hostages go, it has always been policy not to negotiate with terrorists, well was until resident obama took over.
edit on 18-8-2016 by sycomix because: type o

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Wow they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and still lie about it. Then they come back and say, yep we had our hand in the cookie jar. My question is ....who is dumber us or them?

Whoever voted for Obama is the stupid ones. I'm exempt from that one.

Bet we don't get an apology anytime soon.

You got that one right.

Actually it was their money since the 70's. This way we didn't have to pay interest on it. And if they can get some hostages back? Why not.

So I would be forced to say. This is one of the few times Obama probably did the right thing. Except for all the sneaky snake like lies and secretiveness about it.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

Trump said this a couple weeks ago and everyone said he was full of crap, hmmm wonder how many piles of crow the detractors are having today?

They don't remember that far back and they wouldn't admit to it anyway. Plus they seem to be getting ready to vote for someone even more dishonest and treasonous. Hillary Clinton.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

originally posted by: sycomix

They don't remember that far back and they wouldn't admit to it anyway. Plus they seem to be getting ready to vote for someone even more dishonest and treasonous. Hillary Clinton.

Well as much terrorism and IED's Iran gives away to our enemies we dont owe them a red cent.

top topics

join