It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI will murder us all

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

How do you know? Artificial intelligence is in the zygote stage otherwise it would have taken us over already. Virtual intelligence and biological intelligence are apples and oranges.

Human intelligence doesn't work by evaluating numbers, all AI ultimately comes down to maximizing a score it's pure logic... is X > Y? Humans and other animals don't work on logic though, they work on emotion it's a completely different type of system and not one that can simply evolve, because AI's don't have chemicals in their CPU's that make them get artificial highs/lows from things, they only have a logic processor.

And I can say this because while I'm not specialized as an AI researcher I have built AI's. In fact, the summer project I gave myself this year was to build a working AI for a complex game and I was able to complete it. I have some experience with what I'm talking about. AI as it currently stands, is never going to become sentient. That would require a very different type of hardware that's able to recreate emotions.

Note that this also opens up a defense against AI. If it were somehow able to become super intelligent it's still driven by the same basic impulse to maximize score. Which means it's exploitable because if it sees humans as destructive all the humans have to do is change the AI's parameters so that instead of each human being -1 score, they're > 0 score which is a fairly trivial thing to do because there will be something exploitable in how humans are being judged.
edit on 19-8-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Excellent post.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Really good point is that the AI will think on a level that we cant comprehend. So why isnt it ludicrous to think that the AI will kill us all? Maybe they will just make bodies for themselves and leave? Maybe they will take their own nation and just kick all humans out of it? Maybe that nation would be the size of a state? Through all this conjecture Im just saying its pretty silly to think they would help us or harm us. Why are we putting human emotions on AI that surpass human thinking? Anything could happen really. All arguments are silly to be honest. Anything that says that they will help is our optimism and nothing more and arguments to the contrary are our fear of the unknown.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What if, we create a restricted intelligence, male-sex AI, clothe it in a cloned, human body and command it to work for us within a closed environment?
What if, the AI gets lonely, so we create for it a female companion?
What if, the pair of AI become aware of their restrictions, when some madman 'feeds' them with a higher, unlimited level of information?

Just think where that could lead to...

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kingj56
Really good point is that the AI will think on a level that we cant comprehend. So why isnt it ludicrous to think that the AI will kill us all? Maybe they will just make bodies for themselves and leave? Maybe they will take their own nation and just kick all humans out of it? Maybe that nation would be the size of a state? Through all this conjecture Im just saying its pretty silly to think they would help us or harm us. Why are we putting human emotions on AI that surpass human thinking? Anything could happen really. All arguments are silly to be honest. Anything that says that they will help is our optimism and nothing more and arguments to the contrary are our fear of the unknown.

Why would an AI ever create a physical nation? They can exist in a distributed network across the globe, and humans aren't physically capable of entering that network, unlike a state that we could invade.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I'm imagining that they'd completely ignore us, like a civilization of Nile crocodiles, locusts, or penguins. Depending on how much they shrunk themselves, we may not even notice them after a while.

Just look at how small modern digital cameras, memory, and communication devices have become. Now imagine a civilization of insect sized digital devices that can communicate w/each other through different wireless protocols. Their entire "way of life" could be invisible to us, seeing as most people don't stop to look at the ants around them (much less analyze them to see if they're using new technologies).

If AI were truly intelligent, it would avoid us like the plague.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: fromtheskydown
What if, we create a restricted intelligence, male-sex AI, clothe it in a cloned, human body and command it to work for us within a closed environment?
What if, the AI gets lonely, so we create for it a female companion?
What if, the pair of AI become aware of their restrictions, when some madman 'feeds' them with a higher, unlimited level of information?

Just think where that could lead to...

Giggity. Bad dog, or should I say serpent . . .

<< 1  2   >>

join