It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO

There's a lot more to this story...

The DOJ is instructing officials to not renew contracts, or to “substantially reduce” the scope of contracts if they do renew. On top of that, it only applies to 13 Federal prisons that are ran by private companies.

[This] doesn’t mean the federal government is actually ending private prisons.

While the decision will affect 13 federal prisons currently operated by private companies, the bulk of federal private prisons aren’t run by DOJ. In fact, the industry’s biggest client is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) — a separate agency that relies on private prisons to hold immigrants, often in appalling and unconstitutional conditions.

Probably just BS to try to appease the public since a lot of Americans are outraged at our "leaders" right now. This being an election year, I'd say this puzzle piece fits in quite nicely with that assumption. Although I wish it were as good as it sounds

thinkprogress.org...
edit on 18-8-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hillary's campaign accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars from private prison lobbyists.

Trump accepted zero dollars from them.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Perhaps his stock portfolio is invested in them?

Donald Trump, the current leader in the polls for the Republican nomination, has vowed to expand deportations and end "birthright citizenship" for children born to immigrants who entered the country illegally. The American Action Forum, a conservative-leaning policy institute, concluded such a plan would cost up to $600 billion and take up to two decades to realize — a veritable jackpot for the prison industry.
news.vice.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Private Prisons need to die. So does the drug war. Til both are gone, calling ourselves a free nation is like a hen leaving her chicks with a fox as their babysitter and calling it safe. In other words, delusional.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well jesus... So now we gotta get rid of private prisons now eh?

I was hoping to see all the Walmarts converted in about 20 years to private prisons to make stuff for Amazon to sell. And, by that time the people will have said enough is enough and we can populate them with former politicians. Oh, and we don't pay anything for food and clothing. For that they would have to beg with arms outstretched through a fence. But keep the quota's up ye olde time politicians of yester year, I need my $5 iphone...

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

This is also the first step in federalizing police forces so they also would meet the same uniform standards.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I hope so. Orange Is The New Black, has pretty much outed this slave labor scam. Nice to see someone is paying attention though.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

They will stop using private prisons just like they were planning to reschedule cannabis.

Not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This is great news but, it is only Federal Prisons. They have no power to force the states, who house most of the prisoners, to also get rid of them. It may inspire them and maybe get public opinion riled up about them in particular that they cost more. Most of the public is not going to care about how unsafe it is for guards or prisoners but, the cost that will rile people up. Their was a time when the GOP would likely fight this but, since the party is in shambles they can role this out with out any real opposition.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Hillary's campaign accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars from private prison lobbyists.

We have no idea who had been giving him money as he will not release the info
Trump embraces fundraising, not transparency

Trump’s move to keep his bundlers secret is just one element of a dramatic campaign-finance flip, from attacking donors to soliciting them, from bashing super PACS to embracing them, from promising to release his taxes to refusing. Some of the very donors he demonized by name Trump has since gone back to seek support from, hat-in-hand.

So is Trump getting money from private prison companies? We do nor know. He is hiding something though.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

They will stop using private prisons just like they were planning to reschedule cannabis.

Not going to happen.

Well if Trump were to be elected this order would likely be reversed.
Why Trump’s support for private prisons and mass incarceration should worry you

“I do think we can do a lot of privatizations, and private prisons it seems to work a lot better,” said Trump when asked how he planned to reform the country’s prison system.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Ok then...can you answer me one simple question......why would a business throw away a cash cow ?

The simple answer is it would not, businesses are about making profit not throwing money into the fire to keep warm.......

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: 191stMIDET

The Federal system has something called Inmate Work and Performance Pay.

The slave labor comment is a bit off. Secondly they are in prison to pay their debt to society for the crimes they were convicted of. It is not suppose to be a hotel.

The only exception is facilities are not required to pay the minimum wage.

You can try and dress it up all you want no matter how delusional that may be, the for profit prison system relies heavily on the war against drugs and other factors as has been pointed out like immigration.....these systems are in place to screw the little man all the while boosting corporations...we have a similar system here in Aus ,everything that is consumed within the prison from food to clothing is made with slave labor, as in the inmates, and a percentage of this stuff is sold world wide ranging from clothing to furniture.....

You are either completely full of it or unaware of of what is going on, and since you often denigrate us for being ignorant of the law i would say so are you...just in a different kind of way.......anyhow explore the opportunities....

​​​​​​WELCOME TO CORRECTIVE SERVICES INDUSTRIES (CSI) The commercial arm of Corrective Services NSW, CSI operates over 100 commercial business units and service industries teams, strategically located in metro and regional correctional centres across NSW. Industry benefits from access to an increasing range of manufacturing and other service capabilities provided by inmates, and inmates benefit by gaining work skills that enhance employment opportunities on release and successful reintegration into the community.​​

Source
edit on 19-8-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

How much of that is pandering to the power structure, and how much is that what he really wants to do or would do?

Rand tried to do some pandering to the establishment, and it ended up being his demise. The Libertarian base turned against him because they believed he was "selling out" when in reality he was making the necessary moves in order to have the establishment give him a nod. People that are aware of what is going on in this world have a hard time seeing through the pandering that they MUST do to make it anywhere.

A great example of this, is how EVERY politician has to show support for Israel. Any hint that they will not acquiesce to every single demand that Israel makes, and they are 100% at the end of their effective political career.

I believe that a lot of the things that Trump says are either pandering to the powers that be, which must be done, or are answers given without looking at the situation deeply enough. He does so much interviewing and unscripted media townhalls that he is bound to say things that he does not mean, or is not informed enough on.

A good leader doesn't make the decisions. A good leader surrounds themselves with the right people that can inform him/her on what the best plan of attack is, so that they can then make the final call. You do not create an empire without having that particular skill, which is exactly what is needed in the executive branch. Choosing the right experts, the right cabinet, etc.

Who knows, maybe I am wrong. Maybe he wants to mass incarcerate. I doubt it, but maybe.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
THAT 'LL teach 'em not to make CRAPPY army helmets..www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Agree and agree, we will just have to wait and see what else awaits after this....

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Good news imo. They experimented with it and there wasn't any reason to keep private prisons going.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thanks Obama

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Dress it up??? lol

I cited the law / linked it because of your false claim regarding the use of the word slave labor.

Ironically enough you accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about yet you ignored the law in question. Secondly if you took the time to research info before you responded to me you would have noticed your link is for an Australian company in Australia. So your comment about me not knowing whats going on would seem to apply to you since you were unaware of the Federal law while trying to use an Australian company and apply it to the US Federal system.

This thread discusses the US Federal prison system and my posts were on topic and on point. I merely pointed out that your use of the word slave labor is wrong since the work details come with monetary compensation to the inmates participating in it. As I stated before the only exception is they are not required to pay minimum wage.

you up to speed now?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

you up to speed now?

Yup...sure am.....thx for clarifying

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join