It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A sad state of emergency dental health care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Three days ago I took a friend to the main dental hospital here in Adelaide to get a tooth pulled. He is old with only a few teeth left and on the weekend another nerve got exposed. So first thing Monday morning we go to the only place that will work on him due to other medical requirements. We get an appointment made, but are then told to go away as he did not have $59 to immediately pay them.

The next day he gets some money sorted out from a charity organization to help with this unexpected expense, but now he is told to wait 9 days until they can fit him in... After some expected frustration we are directed to our local dental clinic for an examination. More teeth need to come out, blood test have been done and now we just wait.

For any others getting it rough, about 6 weeks using 'cloves of oil' helps a bit with the pain as the nerve rots. Once the nerve is dead so is the pain.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Gee, beg a random dentist for arsernic implant, or pay it somehow. Its quick kill of the nerve.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Evolution--according what I'm told--doesn't care what happens after reproductive age. AFter that, you're thrown to the wind--left to die.

I know this is about dental (health) care. But healthcare is sooooo expensive, do you know? Our bodies are a miserable wreck.

This is why I don't believe in a God. Only a sadomasochist would see good in all this. Nirvana in suffering. Salvation through pain. It's possible, but I think ti's more likely things just ARE. We're meant to dispurse the energies. It's a part of thermodynamics. We're a component of the natural order. How mcuh we can control it is an open question. It would seem to me the universe is like a cup of coffee. Eventually the energy reaches peak entropy and in essence becomes a patternless void. A kind of universe death. But maybe it'll instead experience a big squish and another big bang or get eaten by another growing universe. If tha'ts the case the cycle just repeats itself.

Sorry. This is triggering. Maybe I'll find my safe place now.
edit on 8/17/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I know, they only help people with money. Poor people get 'treated' to prevent death, means pulling teeth. Since Obama care kicked in I've had a couple pulled, cost me hundreds, before it was 5.00.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I know, they only help people with money. Poor people get 'treated' to prevent death, means pulling teeth. Since Obama care kicked in I've had a couple pulled, cost me hundreds, before it was 5.00.

Yep. I have a couple that need to be pulled, but the cheapest place I've found yet is still $250 a tooth...

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Evolution--according what I'm told--doesn't care what happens after reproductive age. AFter that, you're thrown to the wind--left to die.

I know this is about dental (health) care. But healthcare is sooooo expensive, do you know? Our bodies are a miserable wreck.

This is why I don't believe in a God. Only a sadomasochist would see good in all this. Nirvana in suffering. Salvation through pain. It's possible, but I think ti's more likely things just ARE. We're meant to dispurse the energies. It's a part of thermodynamics. We're a component of the natural order. How mcuh we can control it is an open question. It would seem to me the universe is like a cup of coffee. Eventually the energy reaches peak entropy and in essence becomes a patternless void. A kind of universe death. But maybe it'll instead experience a big squish and another big bang or get eaten by another growing universe. If tha'ts the case the cycle just repeats itself.

Sorry. This is triggering. Maybe I'll find my safe place now.

Interesting... I have been having thoughts on the same line as you about he subject of "the meaning of life" especially for us humans. Are we nothing more than a bunch of star stuff thrown together to try and conserve energy and use it up as most efficiently and slowly as possible?

Not trying to high jack the thread BTW.

Back on topic.
Dentistry to me is honestly a waste of time unless, its a situation like this. But then at that age we are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to budget or skrimp and save to just get money to pay for bills. Its sad that a lot of the elderly live like this,

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The fact that they are willing to leave an elderly gentleman in pain over a sum of monies speaks volumes as to there professional conduct, or lack of as the case may be.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
Three days ago I took a friend to the main dental hospital here in Adelaide to get a tooth pulled. He is old with only a few teeth left and on the weekend another nerve got exposed. So first thing Monday morning we go to the only place that will work on him due to other medical requirements. We get an appointment made, but are then told to go away as he did not have $59 to immediately pay them.

The next day he gets some money sorted out from a charity organization to help with this unexpected expense, but now he is told to wait 9 days until they can fit him in... After some expected frustration we are directed to our local dental clinic for an examination. More teeth need to come out, blood test have been done and now we just wait.

For any others getting it rough, about 6 weeks using 'cloves of oil' helps a bit with the pain as the nerve rots. Once the nerve is dead so is the pain.
In the US that bill would have been a few hundred dollars. Over here if you can't afford Dental care (lots of people can't) then you are left to fend for your self. I haven't had a professional dental cleaning in a few years because that's something that would cost me upwards of $200 and I have lot's of debt so money is very tight. One of my coworkers had a problem tooth so he ripped out himself because he couldn't afford the dental bill. Sadly that isn't that uncommon here in 'Merica. Sucks for your friend but it could be alot worse.
edit on 17-8-2016 by 191stMIDET because: Technical difficulty

edit on 17-8-2016 by 191stMIDET because: Typo

edit on 17-8-2016 by 191stMIDET because: Typo

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: intrptr

Yep. I have a couple that need to be pulled, but the cheapest place I've found yet is still $250 a tooth...

Thats about right. Plus X-ray, plus pain meds. I haggled with a guy he had to take my offer it was all I had.

That tooth will never hurt anyone ever again.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Whiskey and pliars.

'Merica.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

There getting wide as the Clyde here in bonny Scotland. I mean we have national health service and free infected tooth removal is part of the package for the elderly. However i missed a dental appointment down to the fact that my child was unwell and had to miss a day off school so i could not attend, called up the Dentists at 9am and notified them as to the problem and was told that's fine but because i did not inform them as to my nonattendance 48 hours in advance i would have to pay £40 before another appointment could be arranged.

I asked to speak to the practice manager as i was unwilling to pay such a sum as the reason for my nonattendance was beyond my control and was told the practice manager only ever attends the surgery every second Tuesday. LoL

Needless to say i canceled there services and found another dentists. Just lucky i was not in any pain.

edit on 17-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
Whiskey and pliars.

'Merica.

Unless you have experience pulling teeth or the bad tooth is already very loose I'd advise against this. You're far more likely to just snap the top of the tooth off and cause far more severe issues if you go drunkenly tugging at a bad tooth.

Not to mention with all that alcohol in the system it'll be hard to stop the bleeding, poppy seed/pod tea would be a better suggestion for the at-home dentist assuming no access to narcotic painkillers.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   
As an update, a cancellation occurred and the problem tooth did get removed today.

It is the dental hospitals policy to not turn away emergency cases, this is what is communicated while waiting on the phone to the organization. Facial swelling is a general determining factor when it comes to defining an emergency case as inflammation can very quickly cause compounding implications. It usually hurts heaps too. Secretaries, office and administration staff are not always qualified or aware to make such considerations with patient management.

As for how some of the world deals with these issues is hmmm.

top topics

join