It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Keys Opposition Stalls Tests Of Genetically Altered Mosquitoes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Sounds like an actually real way to defeat mosquito's, the #1 human killer in the entire animal kingdom.

Right, but also a large part of the food chain for many in the animal kingdom. And honestly, it's only the #1 killer of humans in third-world areas because they have limited medical resources. People would be dropping like flies (or adult GM mosquitos) in the South and places like Hawaii if they were as bad for humanity as a whole like you imply.

We should not be dicking with nature in such a way, period.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think they should be more focused on getting rid of Ticks.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You live in a place like FLorida or Hawaii?

Check out my posts, the parts how the 'entire' eco food chain has been being pesticide bombed via mosquito controls.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

KY...and trust me, we have PLENTY of the bastards. If you want, I'll post a pic of my legs to prove it. Hell, I don't even go outside much in the evenings anymore because of them.

Yeah, I'm glad you mentioned the effect of pesticides on the total of the food chain, but diminishing the population of "skeeters" via GM mosquitos would also have an effect, just different (and probably slightly more slowly). It's like since the settlers in my area wiped out the cougar population, and then deer are now way too many for the area and foliage to handle. That didn't happen overnight, but it did happen, and now deer have become pests in many areas.

Regardless, my point still stands that we shouldn't mess with nature in such a way (or with pesticides, either), as the unintended consequences will be too great, IMO.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Looking back even further, to 2008, it would seem that I am not alone in my particular concern:

Geneticists, for example, fret about horizontal gene transfer, whereby the alien DNA from the Oxitec mosquitoes would somehow jump into microbes or other organisms, with unforeseen consequences, such as harming another species. And while the chances are low that random mutations will restore fertility to sterile males, the probability goes up when millions of genetically modified mosquitoes mate in the wild.

Scientists "presume these accidents won't happen, but there's no evidence they won't," says Joe Cummins, professor emeritus of genetics at Canada's University of Western Ontario, who recently cowrote an article that criticized the safety aspects of Malaysia's mosquito project.

Oxitec's Mr. Alphey is less concerned. "You have to look at this on a case-by-case basis to understand what DNA was inserted and how it was inserted" into a transgenic insect" he says. "We don't think our strain poses a significant risk."

Wall Street Journal

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Key haven residents where they will be released do not want to be a Guinea pig for oxytec.

Come on , what could go wrong? No corporation is going to put money over ones health, they are people too.

edit on 24831America/ChicagoWed, 17 Aug 2016 19:24:36 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

The Gates Foundation also seems to be implicated in the alleged mass sterilizations of millions of Kenyan women by WHO tetanus vaccination (vaccines spiked with sterilization hormones). The Bishops and Catholic Doctors Association in Kenya found that out, by analyzing vaccine samples (vials). If true this could be a depopulation test run, to be rolled out over the whole world.

Global Research site

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

All of this has a rotten smell to it to me. Is anyone else detecting an odd aroma around Zika?

Yes I heard rumours that ZIKA itself is an out of control genetic manipulation experiment, intended as a depopulation test run.

Zika out of control genetic experiment

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I had tried to tell you guys about this years ago.
There was all ready a major release in the Cayman' s years ago.
( These have since scattered all over the Caribbean and Gulf )
( Why do you think the Russian trawlers with bio labs were in the Gulf of Mexico for so long ??)
The hybrid offspring ( GM mated with native) are the problem.
Oxitec 's genetically altered mosquitoes are a cheap knock-off of the originals just for profit.
This Pandora's box , was opened years ago.

Buck

edit on 20-8-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
I had tried to tell you guys about this years ago.
There was all ready a major release in the Cayman' s years ago.
( These have since scattered all over the Caribbean and Gulf )
( Why do you think the Russian trawlers with bio labs were in the Gulf of Mexico for so long ??)
The hybrid offspring ( GM mated with native) are the problem.
Oxitec 's genetically altered mosquitoes are a cheap knock-off of the originals just for profit.
This Pandora's box , was opened years ago.

Buck

Provide us some links of independent sources, and not those with these hacker fantasy domain names, ALEXA ranking USA around 3,000. Proof of these Russian Trawlers?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join