It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxes and Society.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
How do you define contributing to society? ALOT of people class that as working full time and paying your taxes.

I think that is pointless to a degree.
1. Taxes are wasted and pocketed or even reported "lost" in some cases.
2. Private banks print money and loan to the Governments so your taxes go to the banks in return for smaller amounts of money.
3. If I don't use schools, healthcare based doctors, hospitals, dentists. If i dont drive and therefore use roads. Go to internet cafes not libarys and buy my books from a shop then wtf am I paying for? Why cant I choose to exit these services and spend the extra money where I see fit, spend MY money where I see fit like buying sleeping bags for homeless people, buying special store vouchers that only allow the purchase of food and handing them out. Atleast I would get the satisfaction of seeing a homeless person warm and a hungry person fed instead of paying for fellow humans to go and die in a fight for another countrys oil. Do we need a military for defense? of course but I shouldnt have to fund wars that are complete trash and caused more problems than it solved. I could of made sure some people slept warm and with a full stomach instead, much better.

These people were originally set up to govern on behalf of the people now they think they own the country and set up laws to enforce this belief. The earth should belong to everyone equally, respect peoples propertys of course but otherwise go where you wish. I recently went on a long hiking/backpacking trip and I had to pay in some cases to walk on grass basically and look at historical stuff. Its crazy. I have to pay entry to a historical landmark just because they have built shops up around it, which again sell stuff I have to pay for. I am all for donations for any mantience that happens, also happy to buy things from the shops so that a percentage can go towards maintinence. But to outright charge me entry fee for the right to walk on certain grass with certain landmarks they didnt even build.

Bottom line is you should have more freedom to decide what causes your money goes to. I recently have implemented a change in my life that gives me alot more freedom in regards to time, Instead of working 24/7 I have loads of time to stop by places that could use some help and offer it. I wish I could reclaim my wasted money aswell and use it to make a real difference to the seeable suffering on my travels.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingNomadd

I'm an honest believer that contributing to society is as easy as not being a tool.

Do what is right. Hold the door for the elderly. Mind your manners. Don't blast the radio at night if you're near other people, they might need the sleep.

I had to remove the last sentence of this post- for the true enemies have made actual freedom of speech a slogan instead of a reality... and I don't want to go to prison.
Praise the establishment, worship your leaders and pay your taxes, etc. Or else.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I think we have become so constricted by certain dos and dont's, rights and wrongs we are trapped in an imprisoning society.

For example If I did'nt pay my taxes because I knew someone would'nt eat if I didnt give them that tax money, thats illegal and would make me a bad member of society. When in reality I did the right thing.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

You know, there were roads and all sorts of stuff before "Income Taxes" were even a thing in America, right?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

There many ways to contribute to society.

1) Community service to help the community at no extra cost.

2) Getting a job and spending money. Your spent money pays other workers bills, puts food on the table, etc. The more prosperity there is, the more potential there is.

3) Become a farmer. Your crops help feed the nation.

4) Pay reasonable taxes (this is the part that govt doesn't understand) to maintain military and legal system.

5) Respect your fellow man's privacy and property. If everyone did this, there would be more trust and less crime.

6) Take care of your own family/children so that they will grow up to become contributors as well.

7) Take responsibility for your own actions so that society is not burdened by your problems.

Yep. That would be a good society.
edit on 16-8-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

1. Great
2. When I did work full time most of my money went on over priced rent, expensive bills, food. I understand your logic behind this 100% I just dont think we live in a world were money spent benefits the people as much as the giants. It used to be saving that supported others, allowing for the use of a pensioners savings to support a loan to a young couple buying their first house for example. Now money is in private ownership.
3. Would love to be a farmer, If I owned land or was skilled I wouldnt hesitate.
4. Taxes are not handled effenciently or fairly. I am more concerned about the peope suffering on the streets and abroad than about libarys, funding wars, and funding corrupt politicans. But yes taxes in small doses, managed well and used for good causes fine.
5.100% couldnt agree more. Also showing kindness and supporting others would reduce crime.
6. I have zero interest in children or family(Edit; Zero interest in "Having" children or a family). I have compassion for those suffering, Have a few friends I see when I am traveling near them otherwise I am a solo artist more interested in freedom and the freedom of others.
7. Debatable. Some people are just lazy. Many people though are victims of social issues, mental issues, enviroment issues and just real # luck.

Thanks for the post nicely thought out. I would add an 8. Make essential, low cost food available to all for free. Italy wrote an interesting law that allows people to steal small amounts of food if they are hungry and not be prosecuted. Should stealing be encouraged? no. But letting someone starve, regardless of who they are, that is a much worse crime.
edit on 16-8-2016 by WanderingNomadd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingNomadd

3. If I don't use schools, healthcare based doctors, hospitals, dentists. If i dont drive and therefore use roads. Go to internet cafes not libarys and buy my books from a shop then wtf am I paying for? Why cant I choose to exit these services and spend the extra money where I see fit,

But you DO use those things, don't you? Who taught you to read? Who paid that person's salary? And you DO use the roads, whether you drive or not, right? You don't stay in your Mom's basement and never go anywhere. And if something happens to you, you'll be the first to call 911 and bitch about the response, whether it is a break-in or your house burns down. The entire infrastructure in which you live is supported largely by taxes. And that you don't use "libarys" is painfully obvious, it's like one of the University of Washington's old slogans: "You get something out of it whether you go there or not."

I wonder what your life would have been like had not taxes supported you and your education for your entire life. You could always move, you know, like to Europe.

Oh, wait......

Taxes are much higher nearly everywhere else. Except, like Ethiopia and Somalia. Good weather. Low taxes. Why not go there and get your wish?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

But you DO use those things, don't you? Who taught you to read? Who paid that person's salary? And you DO use the roads, whether you drive or not, right?

1. My mum paid taxes so that I could go to school right? Otherwise why was she paying taxes if I was supposed to pay for my schooling when I was older as a kind of delayed tax.
2. I went to a school local to my mum, When 14 I moved to live with my dad, When 15 (About 3 months later) He decided he didnt want me and sent me back, My Local schools said they couldnt take me this late in the final year after I had already fallen behind. I was sent to a small school of 10 people (9 of them expelled from their old schools. Me the other 1) were we did pointless "educational" mornings, then we went to a local lesuire center as they gave us free gym access as a charitable act. I was pulled out of here when it got shut down. My mum didnt bother trying to find me something else. So I recieved zero education and owe them nothing anyway.
3. No If i dont drive and have no interest in driving I dont need roads.I use trains, buses, and walking. the first two I pay for and the bus companies pay road tax for their own vehicles, I already pay for the service. I prefer walking across countryside.

And that you don't use "libarys" is painfully obvious, it's like one of the University of Washington's old slogans: "You get something out of it whether you go there or not."

Nice offensive on my grammar...Better an occassional bad speller than a low witted put down artist. But anyway. No you get something out of there if you go there. They dont send me anything in the mail.

You could always move, you know, like to Europe.
Oh, wait...... Taxes are much higher nearly everywhere else.

I am from Europe.

I wonder what your life would have been like had not taxes supported you and your education for your entire life

Excatly as it is now because I dont have an education. I have a trade I gained through my own labour. Labour which I was taxed for.

You seem to think I am against librarys, roads and schools. I am not. I am against paying for things I dont use. My money could go towards things I actually care about. If you have children then support schools, If you use librarys instead of going to book stores again support them. I don't have children, or the desire to have them. My cares are directed towards the poor, homeless and hungry. Charitys offer shelters and such of course but demand is alot higher, and food is an essential to all people. Aswell as being happy. I would rather bring food, smiles and shelter (tents/sleeping bags) to those suffering than worry about #ing roads. Let the drivers pay for those. I am not rich or wealthy. Every penny you take from me is a penny less for someone else.

new topics

top topics

join