It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team GB punching above its weight again in the Olympics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Wow, the current table of medals...

For a relatively small nation we are doing pretty good so far in Rio.
Think of the resources China probably throws at it's athletes, the massive population, and then ask yourself how on Earth can they be in 3rd place below Britain.

I hope the success continues, and regardless of thoughts of corruption etc with the governing bodies/Olympic committee, to each and every athlete I raise a glass for you representing GB.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

We have been amazing.

Just goes to show what can be achieved if the funding is available across all sports.

Feeling very proud of all the competitors from team G.B they have been an absolute credit.
edit on 15/8/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well......actually if you go by total number of medals, China beats GB by a handy margin. I honestly don't see how they're ranking GB 2nd. Maybe I'm missing something? I'd much rather be wrong, as I'd like to see my cousins across the pond doing well.

bleacherreport.com...

United States of America United States of America 70
People's Republic of China People's Republic of China 46
Great Britain Great Britain 40
Russian Federation Russian Federation 30 10119
Japan Japan 26
Australia Australia 22
Italy Italy 22
France France 22
Germany Germany 19

edit on 15-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I think it must be down to points allocation for gold and silver medals perhaps?
GB just got another gold so are on 16 now compared to China's 15.
Go on GB!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It's all about the number of Golds won initially, followed by silvers if the number of Gold medals won are equal.

If we had the same number of Golds and Silvers, then Bronze medals come into the equation and currently China would be ahead.
edit on 15/8/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Ahh. I see. Glad to be proven wrong in this case.

GO GB!!!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Ah, cheers for that

Fantastic games so far, let's hope the success continues!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Well......actually if you go by total number of medals, China beats GB by a handy margin. I honestly don't see how they're ranking GB 2nd. Maybe I'm missing something? I'd much rather be wrong, as I'd like to see my cousins across the pond doing well.

bleacherreport.com...

Japan Japan 26
Australia Australia 22
Italy Italy 22
France France 22
Germany Germany 19

First place I.e gold medal will always rank above runners up I.e silver and bronze.

Well done team GB. . I applaud the individual athletes that put the hard work and dedication into the training for these events.
edit on 15/8/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

originally posted by: DAVID64

bleacherreport.com...

Japan Japan 26
Australia Australia 22
Italy Italy 22
France France 22
Germany Germany 19

First place I.e gold medal will always rank above runners up I.e silver and bronze.

Well done team GB. . I applaud the individual athletes that put the hard work and dedication into the training for these events.

I think the good thing is - as Bradley Wiggins said the other night - it's not just about the individual/team that gets to hang a medal around their neck, but the relatives, the support team, the trainers and others (why doesn't the horse get the medal in the dressage????) who deserve the praise just as much for the effort they put in that allows people to reach their goal. There should be supplementary medals!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Wben you ajust for our smaller population its even more impressive!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Amazing job for the population, especially considering funding. The Chinese government pays for its Olympic stars. The US, at least, does not.

Great job, UK!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Damn right

Here's the current medal top ten list by country:

*Edit*
Australia are doing alright when you consider their population.
edit on 15.8.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

*Edit*
Australia are doing alright when you consider their population.

Australia does well in track cycling; rowing, swimming, equestrian events and specifically the three-day teams eventing, sailing and hockey, and have a hand in the winter olympics as well. They are properly funded too.
This is really good for the youngsters, and gives them an objective in life, as well as a worldwide sporting 'family'
Now, if only we could get the music scene back on track, and produce great bands again.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Now, if only we could get the music scene back on track, and produce great bands again.

Haha! I hear ya!
There are some fantastic British bands out there though, just undiscovered, on the local/regional scene.
Here's one of my absolute favourite local bands, fantastic live, I would definitely get to see them if you get the chance:
Land of the Giants - Band video's on FB

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Latest medal table...

Go on Team GB!!
This little rock in the North Atlantic is doing okay on the sporting world stage.
Shout out to the tens of thousands of volunteer coaches in sporting clubs all around the nation, hope this inspires more kids to get active.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
And don't forget Yorkshire - if they were a nation - are lying in 12th or 13th at the moment !!
Link

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: templar knight
And don't forget Yorkshire - if they were a nation - are lying in 12th or 13th at the moment !!
Link

Haha no way! That is pretty awesome...didn't know that ferreting and pigeon racing had made the olympics though!

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Maybe we should run the economy, using the lottery model?

Oh, hang on.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Lol, Lottery funding has made a massive difference to our grass-roots sports though for sure.
Tiny Britain, 2nd in medal rankings, who could have imagined that 20 years or so ago?!

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol, Lottery funding has made a massive difference to our grass-roots sports though for sure.
Tiny Britain, 2nd in medal rankings, who could have imagined that 20 years or so ago?!

T'Pau?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join