It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who use pics of their kids as Facebook profiles ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I watched the film "Unfriended" the other day, and it made me think about how serious this Internet thing is to a new generation.
It will be their lives.

Like most people I have three social media friends who use the pics of their kids as profiles.

I'm just wondering how ethical that is.
Baby pics, fine, they're all cute.

But beyond that and you're stealing somebody else's identity.
You're associating them with all your beliefs and habits.

Maybe your parents should do that to you.

Now look, I know it's well intentioned, but you don't have the right to take on another persons's identity, no matter how much you love them.

I'm not gonna complain or stop anybody, but I just think it's wrong.

Your identity should be you and only you.

edit on 14-8-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
People who use Facebook.......

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Well it could be here.
Although most people don't use it at the moment, we do have a profile page.
And yeah I've seen avatars of kids dressed as leather-face, and their parents thinking it's highly amusing.
It's less likely though, but I bet it happens.
edit on 14-8-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman

Now look, I know it's well intentioned, but you don't have the right to take on another persons's identity, no matter how much you love them.

I actually agree that posting pics of kids on social media is a bad idea. However, you don't have the right to tell me how to parent. You take care of your own kids as you see fit, and leave me alone. It's really none of your business.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

That's fine, and I'm just raising the issue.

If they sue you in five years time for plagiarizing their pics, or whatever that's fine.

Parent ahead.

I'm not sure how it works legally, but technically using another person's profile is illegal.
It's fraud.
I'm not sure at what age it starts or stops.

I do understand that most people do so lovingly.
I will never complain about it.

I'm just saying think about it, because if this generation grows up, it will become an issue.

And no, just because you're a parent doesn't give you the right to identity theft.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Is there an age cutoff for when it stops being a proud parent showing off their life's greatest accomplishment and those proud parents suddenly start stealing their children's identities instead? What if it's one photo of all their children...are they stealing multiple identities? And what about people who use photos of their dogs and cats and bunnies and snakes and horses and cows? Are they living vicariously through their pets? And the people who leave their facebook profile photo blank...are they just lacking an identity at all? Does anything I just asked sound remotely ridiculous to you? It should.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Although it can be beguiling, social media is not a private space.
It's not your private Polaroid family album.
It will have real repercussions.

While it's popular (and my point is unpopular, but a truth is a truth), you're taking somebody who is developing their own ideas and identity and attaching it to your name.

That's a bloody cheek actually.

That's not parenting anymore.
That's not knowing where your identity stops, and another individual begins.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

It annoys me a little. If I am talking to somebody, I like to know who they are, or not, just don't put up your kids. I'm not talking to their kids, I'm talking to them. Maybe they think they're a flower or cat or car, I dunno.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/14.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Good questions.

I'd say persons and animals are still differently classed.

But as soon as a person becomes recognizable they also have rights.

For the sake of argument, if your dad was Hitler and posted your pic as his profile, would you be happy?

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Cheers to that mate.
My point in a nutshell.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My facebook profile pic is an animal. It sort of has Yoda ears on it and it giving the world a "no, really?" look. I wouldn't use my kid. Too many creepers out there.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Sorry, foolish comment. People us Fb for all kinds of useful reasons.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I have two photos of my girls that I have used on occasion.
They are very funny photos and the girls love them.
One of my daughters is about 2 in her photo and it appears as if she's had too much to drink (or eaten a lemon) and is driving a little toy that she used to have, it cracks me and her up!
In the other photo, my other daughter, is about 4 or so and in a funny pose with a thumbs up which we recaptured recently and posted a then and now sort of thing, it is quite funny as well.
I don't think any of my FB friends ever thought it was me?

If my children didn't participate in my FB photos or avatars, etc. and if they asked me not to post a particular photo, I would respect their wishes.

Interesting OP none the less and it reminded me to change my profile pic which was of my Mother who died two years ago. She was about 92 when the photo was taken and I'm sure no one thought that was me.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

If they sue you in five years time for plagiarizing their pics, or whatever that's fine.

I'm not sure how it works legally, but technically using another person's profile is illegal.
It's fraud. I'm not sure at what age it starts or stops.

You've made a giant leap from putting up a picture of your kid to "illegally using their profile." How did you get from one to the other? A "profile" on Facebook includes everything you're willing to share. Suggesting putting up a picture of your kid is 'using their profile' is ludicrous.

You'd need to prove intent first. Putting your kid's picture up isn't automatically identity theft. And you'd have to prove 'plagiarizing.' How is putting up pictures I took myself "plagiarizing." Look up the meaning of the word. I don't think it means what you think it means. And suggesting my kids will sue me because of it is just laughable. You're making stuff up and pretending it's real.

I will never complain about it.

Ha ha ha ha! That's what your entire thread and posts are about. Complaining about it. You remind me of Mrs. Bennett in Pride and Prejudice who "never complains about her many ailments."

My objection to putting up pictures of kids ANYWHERE on Facebook has more to do with making them a vulnerable target. If you put up a pic of your darling five year old blonde with curls and blue eyes and say, "Hey, everybody, look at her! First day of school!" you'd better hope the wrong people do not.
edit on 8/14/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Cheers to that mate.
My point in a nutshell.

If I were dating or on the hunt, I would definitely want recent pics on a Facebook page. Nothing risqué, just normal pics. I wouldn't want to waste my time, or money, chatting up something that may not be what it says it is. I have never dated a woman more than 22lbs a linear foot and that isn't going to change lol.

My son used say, "On the internet men are men, women are men and children are the FBI." The internet is such fertile ground for crazies, perverts, posers, fakers and false advertising. Anonymity seems to breed faux courage.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/14.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Lots of perfectly good entertaining people get ruined when they have kids and now all they post is their stupid kids.

Nobody cares about your stupid kids but you.

But the worst is the sonogram pictures or whatever they are. Those things look like gremlins, and everyone says "oh how cute" No, it's not, it's not cute, it looks like a friggen cave troll.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Sounds like you have a great family, and fantastic.

Look, I'm just telling people to be careful.

Not to wish it on anybody, but even family relations can sometimes turn nasty, and people will use any leverage against you.

What the age of consent with this all is I don't know.
Minds are fickle.

I'd just generally say if the photo is not you don't post it under your name.

There's a lot of other ways to class pics though.
But if I'm chatting to so or so, I don't want pics of their kid.
What's wrong with them?
Are they deformed?
Why can't they post their own pic?
It's almost like they're sending somebody else into their battle by proxy.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
People may want to show their pride, but in effect it's abuse.
It's child abuse.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

OK, so I can use your pic then for my profile?

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

a reply to: TNMockingbird
Sounds like you have a great family, and fantastic.
Look, I'm just telling people to be careful.
Not to wish it on anybody, but even family relations can sometimes turn nasty, and people will use any leverage against you.
What the age of consent with this all is I don't know.
Minds are fickle.
I'd just generally say if the photo is not you don't post it under your name.
There's a lot of other ways to class pics though.
But if I'm chatting to so or so, I don't want pics of their kid.
What's wrong with them?
Are they deformed?
Why can't they post their own pic?
It's almost like they're sending somebody else into their battle by proxy.

I completely understand what you are saying about being careful and you are right in reminding folks, no debate here.
I think that if you've become FB friends then you already know/have seen their 'real' pictures and there is no mystery there.
If someone is talking with someone else online and one won't reveal their true phot/identityo then there are bigger issues at play, in my opinion.
Even here at ATS quite a few of us, you and I included have posted our photos on line for the world to see.
Some folks just choose to live in a world of make believe and those are the dangerous ones to me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join