It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Moon Just Get Here?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This thread is just a question. I'm trying to see what geologists have said about the moon and so far have had little success. While no longer a dominating theory (if it ever was), It has been proposed the moon could have been captured by Earths orbit while traveling by as a sort of meteor. If that was the case, I would hope geologic records may yield certain patterns that suggest a date range for such an event. For all I know, the moon may have arrived just prior to recorded history. After a number of web searches, I'm not getting much information on this topic. Hopefully there are others who can shed some light on this topic.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

The moon was created by an impact with another planet in early earth history. Earth simply doesn't have the mass or gravitational pull to capture a celestial body 1/4 its size.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

For starters, it would take quite a while to achieve tidal lock with the Earth. You wouldn't have that in a few thousand years.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Good question. I was recently questioning the same. I believe the moon was towed into earths orbit and caused the great flood.

Before the Flood, There Was No Moon

If this is true then,

Using the Bible, well-documented historical events, and some math, we find that the Flood began approximately 4,359 years ago in the year 1656 AM or 2348 BC. Some may look for an exact date (i.e., month and day), but we are not given that sort of precision in Scripture.
answersingenesis.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
If this is true...

It's not. Regardless of what the Bible may say, there has never been any global flood. Period. This has been conclusively proven.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

If this is true...

It's not. Regardless of what the Bible may say, there has never been any global flood. Period. This has been conclusively proven.

I don't care what the Bible says. I wonder why there's a flood myth associated with almost every culture world-wide.
Very Interesting ... make sure you read the first comment. Then you should take into account the commonalities contained in those stories. Even though, supposedly, there was no travel between those distant locations to get each other's stories straight.

ETA: Oh ... and that moon thingy ... probably hit the Earth about 4.5B years ago.

edit on 1382016 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

It is. lol Chinese team says it found evidence of mythical great flood

Did you bother to even glance over the article you linked, or did you just look for keywords and assumed the article would support your position? Because it doesn't.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Wow, you got both 'Institute for Creation Research' and Quora in one post. If you had bot bibliotecleyapades and EducateYourself, you might have caused a black hole of cites.

A lot of civilizations worship the Sun, too. Floods are impressive, and happen in a lot of places (although not everywhere at once ala the KJV). So is the Sun, and the Moon, so you get lots of mythology regarding them.
edit on 13-8-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

If this is true...

I don't care what the Bible says. I wonder why there's a flood myth associated with almost every culture world-wide.
Very Interesting ... make sure you read the first comment. Then you should take into account the commonalities contained in those stories. Even though, supposedly, there was no travel between those distant locations to get each other's stories straight.

ETA: Oh ... and that moon thingy ... probably hit the Earth about 4.5B years ago.

Because all over the world, human settlements were near water. Wherever there is water, there will be flooding. 100 year or 1000 year or (God forbid) 10,000 year floods had a tendency to create mythology.

Human beings dream in the same archetypes. It's no surprise that our myths contain similar archetypes.
edit on 13-8-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Did you bother to even glance over the article you linked, or did you just look for keywords and assumed the article would support your position? Because it doesn't.

So you don't consider this evidence?

Using radiocarbon dating of juvenile bones and soil samples along the Yellow River, Wu’s team established that an earthquake triggered a huge landslide, damming the waterway in 1920 B.C. The researchers deduced that for six to nine months about 15 trillion liters (4 trillion gallons) of water built up behind a wall of rock and dirt — about half the size of Lake Mead behind Hoover Dam — near Jishi Gorge in today’s Qinghai Province. When the dam broke, it tore through the gorge at 500 times the Yellow River’s average discharge and submerged the North China Plain that is considered the cradle of Chinese civilization.
Maybe your not looking for the evidence because you refuse to believe it.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I was going for it ... but, I ran out of creative steam and just hit reply. LOL

edit on 1382016 by Snarl because: One drink too many.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

That's a local flood, not a global one.

Using radiocarbon dating of juvenile bones and soil samples along the Yellow River, Wu’s team established that an earthquake triggered a huge landslide, damming the waterway in 1920 B.C. The researchers deduced that for six to nine months about 15 trillion liters (4 trillion gallons) of water built up behind a wall of rock and dirt — about half the size of Lake Mead behind Hoover Dam — near Jishi Gorge in today’s Qinghai Province. When the dam broke, it tore through the gorge at 500 times the Yellow River’s average discharge and submerged the North China Plain that is considered the cradle of Chinese civilization.
Maybe your not looking for the evidence because you refuse to believe it.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

It is an insane question according to the weight of public opinion and belief but not actually one that is in isolation, some time ago that guy David Ike did an interview with a south african Zulu shaman whom talked about it being there belief and how lizard people had brought it here.

Now a scientist will tell you that it was caused by either an impact by a mars size planetoid in the early solar system and the moon is what is left of the ejecta from that impact that went into orbit around the earth, according to this theory the moon was once very much closer to the earth but there is little or no geological evidence of this that can be proven to be a result of the moon being in such close orbit, there should for example have been a chain of equatorial volcanoes forming a belt around the globe's equator caused by the pull of this close moon (seven time's bigger in the sky pulling extremely high tides in the early earth maybe even half mile high tidal surges) but even with geological drift and other process that erase crustal structure's there is little or no evidence to back this up.

Then there is the theory that it is a captured planetoid that got caught in the earth's gravity, but it's orbit is barely eliptical and almost perfectly circular so how did that happen.

Then there is the mathematical near perfection, the moon to our eye' is just large enough to cause a small area of occlusion when it passes in front of the sun during a perfect eclip's, no other planet in the solar system has such a moon and it just right to seem about the same size as the sun as well.

Maybe the earth is an engineered world, this is a marker and the human race is so dumb that only religious people and semi mystical UFO adherant's are intelligent enough to see the wood for the tree's while our so called scientist's are the laughing stock of the alien community whom think they are the ultimate joke.

Just maybe.

But to a christian like myself the truth is obvious, it is there and positioned the way it is, we are here at just the right time in the earth's existance because it was all engineered to be this way.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Did you read the paragraph you just quoted?

It's not exactly supportive of the theory of a world wide flood event. It's talking about a big but local flood in China caused by normal geological processes. Not a world wide flood with a big boat full o' animals.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

Your right. It a debatable topic. Anyways back to the thread topic, what about the moon?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

a reply to: TommyD1966

Your right. It a debatable topic. Anyways back to the thread topic, what about the moon?

All evidence points to an impact

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

If this is true...

The great flood of the bible was most likely the mediterranean bursting through an ice dam and creating the black sea if I remember correctly.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Its not easy to prove a global flood that occurred long ago either way. I find it interesting that people don't believe it happened. Scholars aren't sure if the biblical flood was larger or smaller than these modern day disasters. For now its still just a personal belief. Whats your opinion on the moon?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

There are many mysteries, the sedimentary layers on the continent's are often deeper than those on the floor of the ocean, maybe because the continent's were once under water and maybe not.
There were huge flood's and sea level fluctuation's at the end of the ice age but in the arctic there are huge mound's litterally made of animal bone's and dirt and debris all jumbled together as if a mighty surge of water had washed across the savanna that the Tunda used to be.
There are story's about a huge flood all around the world, the Egyptian's god Ancestor's came form an island, there god Ra has a boat in the sky, yes egypt has seasonal flooding and the nile ruled there lives.
The Mesopotamia's, the Chinese, even south american's with the legend of the Aztec's in which they believed there ancestor's had come from a land that the sea had swallowed called Aztlan.
Indeed there seem's to be an almost universal belief in a terrible world wide flood or a flood that destroyed an old world.
Many flood story's have there hero in a boat, one exception is the story from persian in which it was not water but ice that destroyed a world far to the north and there hero hid in an undergroud shelter with his animal's until it was warm enough to head south leaving his devestated and frozen homeland behind (yes they have mountains with perma frost).

And then there are other thing's that doubters love to tear into, Oh it a rock the same argument used again and again almost like a tape recorded script being replayed by a programmed computer.
www.ronwyatt.com...

You know the same crowd used to emphatically deny that there were pyramid's in China?.

Some have linked them to local legend' of the SUN GOD's, great being's with golden hair like the sun and eye's like the sky that the legend say's built them, problem if you are proud of your history and you don't want to admit that it may owe it's existance to something/somebody else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join