It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random aviation photos

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Also thanks for solving the mystery photo from my childhood memory.
For 40 years I believed it was taking off not landing.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Rare photos of B-1s actually flying.

Ha!

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

You've piqued my curiosity. Is it an E-4? When I used to live down there, it was a not-so-secret secret that the agency was a major customer, but I've read that is no longer the case. It wouldn't surprise me if the folks in that line of work still utilized it occasionally because of the facilities and location.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Virgil Cain

Not an E-4. Pinal is civilian storage. Almost as interesting as an E-4 though.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

NASA is a civilian agency - something belonging to them? It's not the GE test bed is it?

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

No, it's related to some of the aircraft parked around it.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I'm stumped. Hints on any distinguishing features?

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Slightly right of center in that one picture.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Not the tanker?

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'll be nice and give everyone a subtle hint:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Ha! Thank you for the gentle nudge.

I noticed both objects. The red tail I thought was supposed to be there - either based or stored although I do remember hearing someone was reactivating at least one of them.

The gray thing (vertical stabilizer?) I can't make out clearly enough.

I suppose I'll do a little research on the tanker...

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The red tail is stored there, but it's a unique aircraft.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
I'll be nice and give everyone a subtle hint:

Evergreen Supertanker.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Evergreen has an interesting history.

The airline was established by Delford Smith (founder and owner) and began operations in 1960 as Evergreen Helicopters. It acquired the operating certificate of Johnson Flying Service and merged it with Intermountain Airlines from Pacific Corporation (a CIA front company) in 1975 to form Evergreen International Airlines. The holding company, Evergreen International Aviation, formed in 1979, wholly owns the airline

The company provided aviation services for the Central Intelligence Agency as well, including transporting the Shah of Iran from Panama to the United States in 1980.

en.wikipedia.org...

The gray thing is a tail of a specific aircraft that isn't usually found at civil airfields. Due to the nature of the airfield however, it offers certain advantages to groups that may fly that aircraft.
edit on 24-9-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

For years after WWII Pinal Air Park was an Evergreen owned/operated field that was completely closed off to the public. You can get tours of it now, if you can find the custodian there. He's quite happy to take people around and is trying to raise interest in turning it into a museum of some sort, or at least restoring some of the aircraft and runway. They can land aircraft there, but the runway and ramp are in very poor shape. They barely get enough money to keep the field in service.

The park has a very interesting history. It started in WWII as a training field. Then when the military closed it, they turned it over to Evergreen and the CIA, who ran it almost until the end of Evergreen.

www.azcentral.com...

edit on 9/24/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/24/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Looking at it a little closer now, I'd say a C-130. Given what's known about Evergreen and the history of the place and the units that sometimes pass through, it makes sense...

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You are right in that it's a C-130 tail. With so many empty jumbos just sitting around, Pinal makes a great place for a few groups that train in tactical aircraft breaching and exfils.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

They also have a drop area right near the airport so they can drop, infiltrate, and breach all in one exercise.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Remember one Evergreen 747 cargo that came into Mascot.Someone leaned against the rear pressure bulkhead and fell right through it due to corrosion..Scary stuff.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Here are a few photos you guys may enjoy. Damn, that Typhoon was loud, and yes I was that close !
Also, those three aircraft flying together you don't see very often over UK skies. Who can name them without googling

Here is the link; imgur.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join