It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of "Ball Lighting" in Siberia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Cool video here, allegedly taken in Siberia, of some kind of strange phenomenon.

Since it appears to be floating a short distance from the ground, I decided the UFO forum might be a good place for it.

Can't say I've ever seen anything like it in person, but I imagine it would be a stunning experience.

From Wikipedia:

Scientists have proposed many hypotheses about ball lightning over the centuries. Scientific data on natural ball lightning are scarce, owing to its infrequency and unpredictability. The presumption of its existence depends on reported public sightings, and has therefore produced somewhat inconsistent findings. Due to inconsistencies and to the lack of reliable data, the true nature of ball lightning remains unknown.

source

I find the bolded portion of the above excerpt interesting, as the same notion applies to UFOs. In fact, you could replace the words "ball lightning" with UFO and it would fit pretty well.

"Scientists have proposed many hypotheses about UFOs over the centuries (or in this case, decades). Scientific data on the UFO phenomenon are scarce, owing to its infrequency and unpredictability. The presumption of its existence depends on reported public sightings, and has therefore produced somewhat inconsistent findings. Due to inconsistencies and to the lack of reliable data, the true nature UFOs remains unknown."

What say you? Anyone ever seen anything such as this?

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Roughly 50,000 watts of digital ballast + Metal Hallide lamps should be able to reproduce results quite similar.

Very interesting indeed!
edit on 5-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No, its power lines arcing. See the power pole there next to it? It can travel down the lines...

Not Ball Lightning. Sorry.

Youtube power lines arcing.. here is one example:

edit on 8/5/2016 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/2016 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Pharyax

Oh yeah. Weird. It's like the vantage point is bouncing around the positioning of the pole(s) to the light ball.

I'm just used to seeing lightning hit the transformers and pop em (happens all the time here, they usually kick right back on), sometimes they blow up by other means (DEAD).

Wow awesome video! Almost like an industrial size Jacob's Ladder.
edit on 5-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Great video!

Someone will be along shortly to say this was a chinese lantern or swamp gas. ROFL!
I'd of thought ball lightening would be smaller and zip around faster? But I can't see that lightening gives a toss what I think?

Since the video was first on RT I'm hoping it actually is ball lightening and not something else.
RT has a 50/50 chance of BSing people as a "source".

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah, its trippy seeing it.. and during tornado footage, you can see it ripping through power lines, and see blue-green flashes.. transformers blowing scared the crap out of me when I was young.. weirdest sound.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm seeing more and more videos on T.V., YouTube, ATS, etc.. where the only part of the video in-focus is the central area, like what we're seeing in the Original Post. Is that how today's video cellphone cameras are filming everything?

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

Note that the wind is fairly gusting at that time, possibly whipping power lines into touching.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I'm seeing more and more videos on T.V., YouTube, ATS, etc.. where the only part of the video in-focus is the central area, like what we're seeing in the Original Post. Is that how today's video cellphone cameras are filming everything?

That's the way it's filmed, in portrait.

The blurred bit is the same central video just stretched and blurred to fill the gap.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Similar looking but I wouldn't say that's a definitive explanation.

Any examples of such a sustained 'arcing'?

Certainly looks electrical in nature though.

I don't believe in ball lightning by the way.

Could be space aliens.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Similar looking but I wouldn't say that's a definitive explanation.

Any examples of such a sustained 'arcing'?

Certainly looks electrical in nature though.

Could be space aliens.

I agree that, aside from color, the similarity to the "arcing" video is scant.

I'm sure that someone can provide some footage of arcing that is of a long duration and which appears to travel slowly along the lines for an extended distance. If not, then I guess I'd have to doubt that explanation.

But I'm positive someone will come along with just that...

Certainly this can't be the only video ever taken of such a common electrical phenomenon.
edit on 5-8-2016 by BiffWellington because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Thanks for the reply, Chadwickus. Must be something with the newest phones. (Maybe just I-phones?) I've rarely filmed in "Portrait" mode, but don't recall seeing the sides blurred out like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I favorited this on YT a LONG time ago.. This video is more like what happened.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pharyax

Cripes! That would be frightening. Nice find.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yeah, that would scare the crap out of me! lol! I'd be closing that door quite fast.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Yeah it definitely looks similar to your second video considering distance, speed and the lack of crossing cables.

Your first video isn't that much similar as it is clearly arcing because of different electrical cables touching eachother (or being close enough) due to wind as you can see the crossing cables moving in the wind.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pharyax

edit on 6-8-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Great! More footage shot by someone using a potato to take it....

I would go with the the power line theory seeing their proximity and the blue light emitted.

MR

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
that could be what they were trying to describe back in 1855. the best they could do was some kind of weird lightning
that just happened to be shaped like a ball. notice it's called St Elmo's "fire" not St Elmo's Static Electric Discharge? language has its limits

a reply to: Urantia1111

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Could be space aliens.

There are some good examples of ball lightning on the 'net, this one is too ambiguous to call.
I have seen the 'red' ball lightning after one huge flash and thunderclap, it cracked, fizzled and popped and crossed the sky in obedience to the wind, and the one I saw was visible till out of sight. The plasma ball is not so well documented, but has occurred famously in aircraft, homes and elsewhere. It's not a belief system really, more about understanding it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join