It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘White Lives Matter’ T-shirts Sold For Marlin Conservation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this whole story is just too good not to post. I honestly don't think it's satire, but when you read it through, you might see why it could be taken as an Onion story.

A marina has been selling shirts with the slogans "White Lives Matter" and "Blue Lives Matter."

An Ocean City marina is selling T-shirts featuring the phrases “White Lives Matter” and “Blue Lives Matter” to spread awareness about the conservation of marlins.

Thing is that we're talking about fish ... marlin bill fish. And there are two varieties being talked about by these shirts - white and blue. The idea is to promote catch and release. Of course, the NAACP does not like it because they are calling it a mockery of the BLM movement.

Worcester County NAACP president Ivory Smith tells The Daily Times of Salisbury that the shirts could be interpreted as a mockery of the Black Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter movements.

I'm not sure where they started caring so much about Blue Lives, but I guess that they need to say that to try to make their point and the local cops weren't biting.

But it gets better ...

The designer of the shirts, employee George Lamplugh, says his shirts promote billfish conservation by featuring images of marlins on safe-release circle hooks, unlike Swagger Fishing, which sells “Kill Whitey” shirts and stickers promoting non-release white marlin fishing.

These shirts are apparently a counter campaign against a group running around selling their own "Kill Whitey" tees, and I guess Ivory doesn't care about that or how it looks or what it might mock.

At any rate, the all the shirts are being sold in preparation for the annual White Marlin Open tourney and if White and Blue Lives Matter enough to you to buy a shirt, part of the proceeds go toward bill fish conservation.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Irony tastes almost as good as grilled marlin!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

There are just so many elements in this that are just too delicious all together. Ivory by itself is a common enough name, but mix it in with White Lives Matter and Kill Whitey? White and Blue Lives Matter seem to be perfectly acceptable memes to follow along with thinking straightforward with marlin alone, but all in the current climate ... and, yeah ... And who on earth runs around with Kill Whitey tees, OK I can by that ... but then put it in the same story with all the rest?

It's just the perfect storm!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The race war will be fought with fish. It will most certainly not be televised.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I read this earlier and got a chuckle.
I especially liked the part about the naacp being upset.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Thing is that we're talking about fish ... marlin bill fish. And there are two varieties being talked about by these shirts - white and blue. The idea is to promote catch and release. Of course, the NAACP does not like it because they are calling it a mockery of the BLM movement.
But it gets better ...

The designer of the shirts, employee George Lamplugh, says his shirts promote billfish conservation by featuring images of marlins on safe-release circle hooks, unlike Swagger Fishing, which sells “Kill Whitey” shirts and stickers promoting non-release white marlin fishing.

All puns & manner of mockery considered? I approve of this comedic venture.

edit on 8/5/2016 by Nyiah because: Edit: Non-functional quote boxes for quoted quotes.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
the White Marlin tournament is an annual event and a fairly big deal there.

white marlin are the main attraction but blues are also caught, as are shark tuna and dolphin (fish, not porpoise, aka Flipper).

top topics

join